main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Obscure, Unsubstantiated Rumor Indirectly Denied by Randy: Star Wars comics moving to Marvel?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Fleab88, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    When I first read this info. yesterday I was fairly certain it was true - however, after reading Randy's posts on the DH website, I'm quite skeptical at this point.

That being said, even if there is some truth to this, I do not believe that DH's license will only run through calendar year 2013 & that Marvel will start publishing the SW comics in 2015. This makes absolutely no sense - 2014 will be very important for SW license holders, since it will be the year before the new film comes out & Disney/Lflm. will presumably want to get as much exposure & build-up for the franchise as possible. So, having a full year of no new SW comics would be ludicrous....

2. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I've always been left feeling cold by Dark Horse's efforts. Sparse plots and unimaginative writing... The only Star Wars comics I've kept are a couple of DHC's Infinities TPBs, some 80s annuals and 2 or 3 other DHC bits and bobs. I'd not lament the loss of Dark Horse.

I say **** continuity, **** canon, just write good stories and draw good pictures.

I find Marvel a bit cheesy and very exploitative... They saturated the market with X-Men comics a few years back; I fear they'd do the same with Star Wars. Obligatory 'What If Stan Lee Invented Star Wars' titles, at least 2 comics per character per month, etc, until the bubble bursts...

In Marvel's favour, the old Transformers comics were very good, back in the day. ;)

3. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    I don't think you are going to find a whole lot of other people here with those opinions. Most people in Lit seem to adore Dark Horse and love their continuity and canon.

Anyways, glad to see it looks like Dark Horse will be staying around a bit longer. I don't know what I'd do without the fantastic Omnibus pro.gram Dark Horse has. There are still so many more collections they need to get to, like Legacy and KoToR.

4. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    :rolleyes:

Right, because the two are mutually exclusive.

5. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Really though it is your opinion but how in which way is avoiding rehashing plots already reused and duing something new unimaginitve? hell DH has already given us female main character leads and even when they use the Sith they don't bother rehashing the PT

6. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Well not quite, but with hundreds of books and games and episodes and comics adding to the canon, things tend to get ever more convoluted. Creativity becomes an issue as the gaps between established events become ever smaller; characters and events are defined by writers with a broad range of abilities and creative intentions that must forever be adhered to, for some reason. When I poke my head into the EU now and then, more often than not I have to read it with wookiepedia open to understand the who, how, what and why's.

I understand that people get quite possessive/obsessive over continuity and canon, I'm just not one of them, at least when it comes to the EU. No offence intended. You can go about your business.

7. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    I've not seen anything like you describe. If I buy a SW comic or book these days it's because a friend or online acquaintance recommends it (having been burned so many times but stupidly addicted to MORE STAR WARS). If you have any recommendations for specific must read DH comics I'll begrudgingly try the best looking one on your list!

8. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Dawn of the Jedi
    Lost Tribe of the Sith
    Invasion
    Knight Errant
    Dark Times

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Taking the license away from DH really would have been a 12-21-12 catastrophe. Good that this rumor fizzled out, just like the doomsday panic.

10. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I didn't realize it ever went from "amusing joke" to "panic". Dammit, humanity.

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Will Marvel ignore everything except for "Marvel Star Wars"?

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Edit: double post

13. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    We don't know.

We still don't know.

instantdeath likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know that anybody actually panicked but it sounded better than "fuss."

15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    One can only hope.

Eh, you know somebody somewhere did.

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I didn't mean to double post. I edited the second post accordingly. Still, "we still don't know" is a funny response.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    [T]here are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.
    There are known unknowns; that is to say there are things that, we now know we don't know.
    But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know.

18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010

[​IMG]

Zorrixor and Plaristes like this.
  19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Back on topic, please.

20. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm not worried with rumors and what not, nor I'm I going to take the hardline approach. Unfortunately, I learned my lesson. I beleived for many years that Star Wars was just 6 movies and that the other trilogies were incomplete ideas from GL that was condensed to the 6 movies. Now, after many years of no more Star Wars movie............here we are now with one coming up in 2015.

So with that in mind, I'm not going to take Randy serious since he is admin and admin don't always come out and tell the truth. If they have a secret that have to keep it until further notice or risk litigation. I'm also not going to beleive the fanblog blue sky, cause anybody can speculate about anything. Just look at the Mayans? Everybody thought that yesterday was the end of the world and yet here we are ticking.

With that said, I will say this.....I will beleive that Dark Horse will keep the license when they start getting ready to travel to meet with the producers of the 7th movie and get stills and story stuff for comics. Until I read that, then everything for me is up for grabs. Until then, this is pointless to think about it, since we still got a bunch of new star wars comics to enjoy. Looking forward to the Wild Space volume and I hope that they reprint in omnibus format the 20 issue run of Classic Star Wars and the 9 issue run of Star Wars Early Addventures (Russ Manning strips).

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Believe the 20 issues of Goodwin-Wiliamson are currently available digitally v333, if that's an option for you.

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I hope DHC can keep the license. I don't see it likely in the long term though. I don't believe much news on the internet regarding the sequels and changes with LFL unless substantiated.

23. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    Rather liberal use of the word "everyone" don't you think?

Zeta1127, RC-1991, krtmd and 3 others like this.
  24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In fact, I'd bet that "everyone" (in this case) = very few people.

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Those who actually believed it probably deserved whatever fate they thought they were going to have.