main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Jedi still hated in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by clone3131, Dec 13, 2012.

1. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    No many people remembered the Jedi, nor the Order when Luke met Obi-wan. Many of the Jedi records were destroyed during the purge in RotS. Many across the galaxy would be more interested in rebuilding of not just their home worlds but also their lives. Jedi would be of little concern to many and even if they were, Jedi would not be of much interest because there would be so few of them. Unless, some Jedi were cloned.

2. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    They will be hated if they are still the, arrogant, cold, bores they were in the PT!

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hate the Jedi. They punched me and stole my lunch money.

4. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    If it was PT Jedi, they could have just bored you to death.

5. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Why do you want them to stay the same then? Let them marry and let them have another job along with Jedi.

6. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    I don't want them to stay the same!

7. FryingpoorGreedo

FryingpoorGreedo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2012
    I assume there will not be a whole lot of Jedi in the new trilogy, more similar to OT IMHO

Han Shot First likes this.
  8. Frankakin skywalker

Frankakin skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 13, 2012
    That's like backstabbing Luke and Liea. In 4,5, and 6, the rebellion is like ," Yay Luke! He blew up the Death Star and destroyed the Sith!" So that would be like throwing a good toy away and treating it like trash.

9. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Here's hoping!

FryingpoorGreedo likes this.
  10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I think it depends on what happens in the galaxy between the end of ROTJ and where E7 picks up. If there is a large-ish Jedi Order, they may be wary, (I think they would be of any power at that point). But if the order is still pretty small, much of the galaxy might not know much about it. But I think there will always some contingent who hate the Jedi.

11. FryingpoorGreedo

FryingpoorGreedo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2012
    I'd say you have Luke and maybe one or two more Jedi and that's it I doubt there will be a full order. Hey maybe two pupils one kills Luke turns dark boom you got your light saber fights.

12. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Maybe the anti-Jedi population in the galaxy might have had a change of heart when Alderaan was blown up. "Gee, maybe if we still had the Jedi this wouldn't have happened." Also history is written by the winners. I assume the New Republic is going to paint the Empire as pure evil and possibly they will put a positive spin on the Jedi. Also would the public even know about the Jedi rebuilding right away? In the early books Luke is on Yavin IV and out of the public eye. Even in 40ABY when there is a Jedi Temple on Coruscant It didn't appear the order was huge. I have no idea how many Jedi there were, but I don't think it was in the tens-of-thousands. In a galaxy of billions of trillions of sentient beings Jedi must be extremely rare.

13. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008

Luke is probably a very well known hero & household name by then. That alone would help turn around the Jedi image & def help bring in Force sensitive recruits.

Also, if those people remember the name Skywalker, he will be seen as the son of a hero. I mean seriously, how many people know who Vader actually was?

One problem I could see is if people know his connection to Vader.

Also, I'm sure he and the New Republic brought to light the evidence( if they had it) about how the Emperor manipulated the Galaxy & how things really went down. There had to have been people who suspected that it was all BS. Now with the Empire either gone or def out of power, they will speak up.

If there is a Jedi Order, it should not be exactly like the Old Jedi Order.

kainee likes this.
  14. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    Mirroring their parents relationship, Leia will continue as the politician; Luke will be spiritual warrior ( for lack of a better term).
    Luke will struggle with how to move the Jedi forward - he realizes a large public org will be feared, as citizens do not know enough about the Jedi. They are simply too mysterious, and for those that do know, too connected to the Republic that failed due to corruption. Leia will face similar struggles, as multiple factions will vie for power (think postwar Germany). (I expect the politics will take a seat to the spiritual.) Additionally, echoing but refining earlier posts, Luke cannot possibly build a full order within the timeline we expect.

Given these two truths, Luke will decide...to enact a Rule of Two for Jedi. His search will frustrate him, and he realizes he must start small.

This opens up many potential story lines. The most likely is that one evil faction, probably not associated with a Sith in Ep. 7 (but maybe by Ep 8), will rise up and threaten liberty. Luke and his apprentice will come to the rescue. In the process, the apprentice earns his/her stripes. By the beginning of Ep 8, he/she takes an apprentice, and the Jedi Order starts to build.

And God help me if one of these Jedi end up turning dark. That is the dullest, most abused story tactic permeating the EU, IMO.

BTW, people can become Jedi at any age. That is one of the major lessons of the OT, people!

15. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I can agree with most that Luke *might* have been a galactic hero after he destroyed the Death Star, but we really didnt see any of that proven in ESB or RotJ. Its not like Luke walked into Jabba's Palace, on his own home world, and everyone was in awe to see him. It was, meh, who does this guy think he is?

I dont know what the EU says, but I think it would be a mistake to have a full blown counsel and a bunch of Jedi running around in Ep VII. I think we should probably just see Luke and maybe a padawan. And then have it grow from there in EP VII and IX.

Although going back to Yavin IV and seeing a Jedi Temple start would be bad ass...

C

16. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    Jedi will always be hated because they have power.

17. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I doubt that most beings in the galaxy would have had any notion that Emperor Palpatine - is he ever referred to as Darth Sidious or as being a Sith Lord during the OT timeline? - or Darth Vader were Sith Lords. Indeed, when Qui Gon speculates that Maul may have been a Sith Lord, the Jedi Council members more or less dismiss the idea. Ki-Adi-Mundi says: "The Sith have been extinct for a millenia." So, how many ordinary beings would have any knowledge whatsoever of the Sith? Pretty much none, I suspect. I don't think Sidious was ever revealed to the wider galaxy as being a Sith Lord.

As far as the general populace was concerned, Palpatine was simply a dictator backed-up by a vast military machine and a mysterious enforcer called Vader. Given that Vader carried a lightsabre, some might have suspected that he was a Jedi who "stayed loyal" to the Chancellor/Republic when the rest of the Jedi betrayed it. I doubt that the vast majority of the populace were even aware of the Sith ever having existed.

Given the above, I suppose it is plausible that many might retain a certain degree of scepticism when it comes to a newly-emerging Jedi Order. To most, Vader probably continued to be seen simply as a Jedi who didn't go along with the "mutiny" that Order 66 sought to put an end to. As such, Jedi might seem to have questionable motives in the post-Imperial galaxy.

kainee likes this.
  18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the movies, no. In the comics, a Grand Admiral Trachta sees "the Sith theocracy of two" as fundamentally unstable, and seeks to topple it. Which fails.

So- more recent works, post-Episode I, seem to be moving toward the notion that Palpatine being a Sith was known at the higher levels.

19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If they think Vader's just a Jedi who stayed loyal, what's their opinion of the "mutinous" Jedi?

20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    One issue I have with "Jedi in secret" is that "against the people's will for their own best interests" is the SITH way of doing things.

V-2 likes this.
  21. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Luke will need to hire a Jedi PR person for rewriting the history and reputation, wherever damaged, for the Jedi.

Lando?

DarthBoba likes this.
  22. Separatist101

Separatist101 Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2010
  23. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Well, read my last paragraph, although I think you could substitute ''certain'' for ''plausible''.

24. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    That would certainly be an interesting dynamic. In the PT, Jedi had free reign to travel and involve themselves in galactic affairs. In the OT, it seems Jedi are forgotten. In the ST, the potential for extreme prejudice against Force-using individuals by a majority of galactic citizens (due to Dooku, then Order 66 blaming Jedi for Clone War, then Palpatine and Vader Empire days) would pose an added obstacle for the new protagonists.

25. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah until the trooper with a bias against you gets mind tricked. "You didn't see two Jedi." "I didn't see two Jedi"