main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.11 - A Sunny Day In The Void - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Dec 5, 2012.

1. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Me too, I wanna hear about this. :p

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Its, OT bro. Well... guess I have to tell everyone who PMs me now. And back to the Void... in my soul.

3. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Ha, well at least this ep has given us a treasure trove of conversation topics!

quigonobi3 likes this.
  4. quigonobi3

quigonobi3 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 5, 2012
    Well Watto we have to have something to keep us going until the 5th January!!!:)

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Just watched the last two episodes... ugh. Not the worst we've gotten, but the little Corporal/whatever has been a terrible character. And they hit you over the head with the exposition multiple times. Do they really need to flash the hologram of their objectives (with narration) several times throughout the episode?

Watching them, I couldn't help but think that this episode could have been done WALL*E-style and just had it been astromechs with no dialogue beyond the B-1's and Tactical Droids they encounter- with maybe an exception to maybe the pilot Pit droid.

because the base concept is absolutely fine.. it's just the execution that has killed it.

6. LordMortis315

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe Gascon thought the droids were so dumb that he figured they needed to be reminded of the plan multiple times?

7. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    WAC probably needed the reminder.

LordMortis315 likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    But that doesn't make sense- they are droids. Oh all the characters on the show, they're the only ones who shouldn't have to be reminded of objectives.

QuangoFett and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  9. LordMortis315

Sep 2, 2012
    Goes to show how little Gascon thinks of "mechs", I guess.

Seerow likes this.
  10. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Perhaps these droids with the exception of R2 all run the SW droid equiv of Windows Vista. Programming failure.

11. LordMortis315

Sep 2, 2012
    Seems legit

12. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Really I hate to dumb SW tech down since its obviously way beyond anything that exists IRL but from the perspective of a computer geek it seems completely legit to me that droids could need reminders in some situations. Its like software. Software is never immune to errors, crashes, memory dumps, memory leaks, bad sectors, etc. Probably just as likely to have problems as my smart phone likely is. I could see where you could tell a droid something and it keeps writing to a bad sector of memory or what not so it doesn't remember it. I mean, particularly if the primary mode of input is just by talking to the droid. I don't know what kind of memory would be used but its likely not perfect. The damaged commando droids in "The Deserter" come to mind. Its just a thought. I'm really reaching here. Maybe Gascon has been in the field before with a droid that had some memory problems. He was apparently just a map reader. If my workstation has a small issue that isn't something I can deal with, IT won't rush to fix or give me another workstation.

LordMortis315 likes this.
  13. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    WAC must run on Windows ME then..

Seerow and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    He's not that bad IMO. Jeez that's cruel. =b

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    While droids wouldn't necessarily have to have perfect memory (clearly Threepio verbally admits to having forgot things in the films), such gaffes are usually environmentally conditional (Threepio not remembering a comlink being turned off since it's not a piece of tech built into him) but something like a mission/primary objective shouldn't require a reminder- you didn't see anyone constantly reminding Artoo about having to deliver a message to Obi-Wan and then delivering the Death Star plans to the Rebels, did you? This isn't any different.

16. LordMortis315

Sep 2, 2012
    How do you know it didn't happen off-screen? :p

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Then TCW should have taken it's cue from them and done so itself! :p

18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Well Artoo is a well programmed little droid isn't he? Now WAC? That's debatable. WAC runs into walls. What do you call that? Now bare with me. I'm going to dumb a droid down to a PC. I doubt that's real good for the memory banks. To put that into a computer geeks perspective I bet you'd get alot of black sectors if you ran a Disc Check on that. What do you do if you have a droid like that out on a mission with you? It happened in this arc. It might appear to function fine otherwise. But then misses a mission detail repeatedly the way my laptop might skip a corrupted mp3 in WinAmp. The obvious thing to do would be to repeat yourself, that's the fasted way reload that information on a droid right? Its impossible Gascon could have been given a faulty droid before. And then it also appears Gascon is completely anal. It might of happened to the guy once then he always does it. Clearly he didn't like droids. Environmental conditions? I can buy distractions but that's not gonna effect software/programming and hardware much. Still can't even begin to fathom what kind of storage or what kind of software/programming would be used to program a droid. Its obviously way beyond anything IRL. I mean this is probably quantum computing here. I'm just trying to speak from a programming and hardware level as a computer geek. I just don't believe in perfection when it comes to those sorts of things. From what I've seen in the PT, TCW, and the OT I'm fairly sure folks in the GFFA feel the same way.

This is TCW here, TCW ain't gonna tell the viewer anything. Its gonna assume we're either cool with it or we'll figure something out.