main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It may have turned out legit, but the replacement refs still botched things by not reviewing the play right after like they were supposed to do.

2. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    oh, i don't dispute that in the least. but that's still somewhat surprising. and definitely shows how flipping hard it actually is to ref a game. as i was pointed out in the article, it would have been nearly impossible to actually see without doing a frame by frame. which they don't do in reviews as far as he, or i, am aware of.

but it can be argued the right team did win, at least. considering the myriad other bad calls kinda evened out.

3. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Yes I saw that article ages ago....I don't know what the uproar was about other than GB fans being annoyed. Watching it in real time how do you expect to give that to the defense?

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Except that analysis is garbage. It presumes that Tate had control by getting a hand on it, when in fact he was never able to do anything more than juggle it -- which isn't control -- until after he hit the ground. Tate touched the ball, but Jennings was the only one to control it on the way to the ground.

5. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Juggle? Looked more like this to me.
    [​IMG]
    At the very least impossible to overrule.

Trimaj likes this.
  6. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    except that the ball doesn't move after tate gets that one hand on the ball, and jennings had a helluva time getting it away from him with just that one hand on it. so...

and he had two hands on it, with two feet on the ground, first. he almost had a but on the ground before jennings had his feet down.

again, it proves how crazy flipping hard it is to ref a football game.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The ball doesn't move because Jennings has two hands on it the whole time. Tate barely gets one hand on it, which comes off as he goes to the ground, and only gets two hands on it as they're lying on the ground. You can only pretend that Tate had control if you imagine that Jennings doesn't exist. The only reason Tate looks like he has control at all is because Jennings is there holding the ball for him to claw at.

8. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    Was anybody else upset that they cut away from the Pats-49ers games to show Obama's speech?

9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    No, because football means nothing in the face of a national tragedy.

Trimaj, Juliet316 and LloydChristmas like this.
  10. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Hell no.

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    having watched the play up close, in slow motion more than a dozen times, i can definitively say that tate's left hand NEVER leaves the ball at any time during the play. the ball does not slip, or move, from the split second he got ahold of it BEFORE jennings. the hand that does leave the ball is his right, and it comes back before his feet touch the ground. tate does, in fact, have control of the ball simultaneously with jennings, and actually gets his feet on the ground before jennings (which would give him possession first btw), and then jennings proceeds to attempt to rip the ball away. if jennings actually had possession of the ball, how come tate ends up with the ball after everything is said and done? why does jennings need seconds of attempting to rip it away to get possession? the play is dead as soon as their butts hit the ground, and since they both had the ball, the offense is awarded possession. that's been the rule for a very long time. like it or not, the play was called correctly. i'll agree it's bizarre as hell if you want. i'll agree it's close, possibly disputable, but from everything i've seen it was called correctly.

i'm guessing your a packers fan hav? is it possible that's coloring your opinion on it slightly?

frankly, i had no dog in that battle. i'd like to think i can be reasonably unbiased based on that.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Considering that A)NBC kept hammering that you could go to the NBC Sports Network (which, granted, I know not everybody has), as well as CNBC if you wanted to continue to watch the game when NBC switched over to the speech and B) I agree with Point Given that football means little in the face of such a horrific tragedy; nope, not upset at all that they cut away for the speech.

13. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    so, just as a curiosity, would anyone care to take a guess as to who wins out of the seahawks and niners this week? vegas has it as -1 in favor of the niners. frankly, i'm not sure i'd take those odds... or even a straight up pick.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Apparently Sanchez got some death threats on Twitter after the Monday night loss.

15. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    lol @...

...the Newtown Obama speech being some kind of football inconvenience.

...concluding that Tate caught that TD even as he flails at Jennings and the ball like a lobster being dropped into a boiling pot.

...Mark Sanchez.

16. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    go read the article i posted before, and watch it in slow mo. it's a bit of a mind changer.

of course i doubt you'll actually do that, so... *shrugs*

17. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Hey now Trimboni, I read it before I posted that. It did not change any of my lols.

Now focus your energy on stopping the Pittsburgh love in this thread for this week.

18. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    Double post.

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Come on Dallas big game on Sunday.

20. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    You're right, it doesn't. But it means a lot more than listening to a politician talk about it.

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    According to ESPN, Ray Lewis is holding off on his return until the Playoffs.

24. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    He won't help them anyway.

Megatron beasting yet again. 4 yards away.

25. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    Did...did we just witness the Madden Curse being broken?