main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I liked it, honestly. An effective way to take away Luke's mentor, to really hammer in the fact that Luke is on his own, that reviving the Jedi is his responsibility, and his alone. I also like the implication that death for a Jedi is something that can be postponed, but not defied. Obi-Wan served his purpose in staying behind to help Luke, but not it's time for him to move on.

Darth_Kevin likes this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well to be fair, when that was filmed, Lucas just told Hayden to pose for a photoshoot to test the cameras. He didn't even know he was added to ROTJ until the DVD was released.

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks for pointing to the responsible party, then! Now I know who to truly blame for that. :p

RC-1991 and Summer Dreamer like this.
  4. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    i liked it at the time as well, and as a function of that book in itself.

But when taken as part of the whole EU, and what we now know of the whills and force ghosts etc, it just seems a bit silly in hindsight

Darth_Kevin and Summer Dreamer like this.
  5. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I think other characters have been able to stick around longer than Obi-Wan did as Force ghosts, so his claim here doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Well, that was a really, really long time ago, and I liked it, as a way to remove Obi-wan as an easy fallback option for authors to use. The most important thing was for Luke to defeat Vader and the Emperor... and while it didn't turn out the way anybody expected, Luke won and that's it. Other pre-Thrawn trilogy books have had Ben cameos, but he's not needed, and while it might be possible for Force ghosts to stick around longer, by that point Luke was probably established enough to handle things on his own, so time for Obi-wan to rest, at last. Anyway, as usual the prequels messed up the normal "rules" as we understood since Qui-gon's body didn't disappear into the Force, but he hung around for a while, but wasn't actually able to do anything for years.

Personally I just think of it as a Jedi Force ghost shouldn't hang around for too long, unless really absolutely necessary, and the biggest problem, the Emperor, was solved, so Obi-wan could rest at last. Well, there was stuff like Dark Empire after that, but Luke and Leia solved that on their own. And while Alec Guinness is long gone, an Ewan McGregor cameo is still possibility, if only they have old Luke joke about the sudden makeover and Obi-wan cite Anakin's final appearance. :p

And I didn't think that the actors had that much influence on some of the changes. Well, they have some input of course, but a lot of the... odder things over the last few years have typically come from one person. [face_whistling] Well, not quite everything, but a lot, which is why Lucas not overseeing the ST might be good news, but he's still consulting, and if he says something, they might probably still follow it, so I'm still worried. You know the tinkering never ends, with the Blu-ray editions being one of the most recent prominent examples.

I just hope we don't end up with a ST version of a certain TCW character who is really overpowered for her age and position and gets to dual wield different color lightsabers and all that. TCW has a lot of examples of how Lucasfilm treats the EU, so I really hope the ST won't be like that, but I'm not optimistic.

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Merry Christmas, everyone!

TrakNar and krtmd like this.
  8. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    They can stick around but they prefer that their peers continue on their own path.

9. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    In another topic about this very thing I mentioned a way that they could easily include Ewan as Obi-Wan without any issues of age discrepencies. In a word: holocron. Hasn't it already been established that Obi-Wan had one?

10. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Bah, humbug!

11. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Perhaps, I don't recall. However, holocrons are a creation of the EU, so it depends on how much EU stuff they want to bring into the ST.

12. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    A Hologram (either stored in R2 on time-release, or recently discovered) would be a viable alternative -- however don't Holocrons feature in TCW?

13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    "Your father complained that he liked the young me better so I thought I'd try this look out."

14. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    My only problem with it being a recording within R2 is that it raises some very valid quesitons. "Why the hell did he wait 40 years to show this?!"

kataja and Grey1 like this.
  15. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Its funny but if you look at the PT there are some good ideas there they're just executed horribly with unesscary ad-ons like having Qui-gon be Obi-wans mentor and discover Anakin as 1 eg.

As for Asohka well doesn't Starkiller also have 2 sabers, maybe its just an Anakin/Vader apprentice thing and he expects it from his students.

16. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    I don't recall Starkiller using 2 lightsabers. Was that something he did in TFUII? It's been awhile since I've played that one at all.

17. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    [quote="Summer Dreamer, post: 50284076, member: 982734] Lucas just told Hayden to pose for a photoshoot to test the cameras. He didn't even know he was added to ROTJ until the DVD was released.[/quote]

Is that also the reason for his PT peformance ;)

krtmd and Zorrixor like this.
  18. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Yeah your right it was number 2

19. Foltliss

Foltliss Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 19, 2010
    I hated that tv spot. No snow to be seen in the whole game.

20. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I thought it was kind of cool...even if inaccurately portraying the game.

21. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    This made me smile.

22. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    "Sorry Luke, Lucas said I can't be the Jedi in this, so they have to write me out!"

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    That reminds me... I need to go outside with my tauntaun and have a fun romp in the snow!

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd love to do that! Did you see any Kaminoans during Hurricane Sandy?

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I smelled a few. At least I smelled something salty and fishy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.