main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Terrible moments in otherwise great movies

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The novelization reveals that the wet - behind the ears engineer (who later dies from severe injuires after Scotty carries him to Sickbay) is Scotty's nephew. I think there's at least one deleted scene in the SE DVDs where Scotty reveals that information.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The part of Spiderman 2 where Spiderman is Jesus coming down off the cross.

3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I've never seen a version of TWOK where Scotty doesn't reveal the information in the actual movie. After Preston gets uppity with Kirk, he says "You're a tiger!" then Scotty replies "My sister's youngest, sir, eager to get to space." It's still an awful scene.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    SO THAT'S HOW IT FEELS. Batman in Dark Knight Snoozes. Using his best death metal voice when nobody's around.

EDIT: "in otherwise great movies" - I missed that bit. So the above does not apply.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. In the theatrical cut, Scotty just randomly appears on the bridge with a dead body. It makes absolutely NO SENSE whatsoever.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The President's speech in ID4.

Oh wait that's the only good part in an otherwise bad movie. Whoops.

Misa ab iPhono meo.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, from his uniform you could tell the dead guy worked in Engineering. It'd be easy to guess that Scotty was upset over the death of a subordinate.

8. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I've never seen that scene.
    But then, the JJA debacle movie supposedly had an explanation for why spoiled brat kid Kirk drove the car into the canyon. Good explanation too. Seen is utterly pointless without it.

9. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Playing With The Boys in Top Gun
    Masturbation discussion in Transformers
    Eyeball scene in Any Given Sunday

10. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Fixed. I do so loathe that movie. :p

Everything between Talia's "reveal" and the end of The Dark Knigh Rises.

11. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    "I See the Light" music scene in Tangled. Actually, pretty much every music scene in Tangled other than "Mother Knows Best".

12. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    The Beach wasn't a great movie, but the video game sequence in it was laughably bad compared to the rest.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  13. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    The Wrath of Khan novelization had an explanation for that: Something to do with the Turbolifts accidentally being rerouted during the chaos, confusion, and technical messed-upness of Khan's attack on the Enterprise.

I know it's not a very good explanation, but it's something, and at least the novelization's writer was willing to address it.

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  15. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    You know...that always reminded me of Fred Flintstone sliding down his dinosaur's back.
    While I would agree with you on the story (overly simplistic rich elitist snobs who drink brandy and don't know Picasso vs. lower class working poor emigrants who all have children so perfect you can practically see their halos and wings)....when you look at the technical aspects of of it, Titanic is just plain awesome. It's a big budget movie with big budget special effects and minimal CGI.

That scene with the rush of water bursting out the doors along the hallway?

All miniature.

The workers being feet away from giant camshafts in the engine room?
    [​IMG]
    Live actors green-screen composited into a model engine.

Even the boat itself was a highly detailed replica build in Mexico.
    [​IMG]

Unlike Avatar, which is just a piece of hot cartoon fecal matter.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  16. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. Titanic richly deserved its eleven Oscars.

JoinTheSchwarz and Bacon164 like this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The ridiculously stupid twist in Oldboy revolving around why the villain wanted his revenge in the first place. I just felt let down after all the nuttiness beforehand.

18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    What happens to a frog that gets struck by lightning?

Yodaminch and Master_Jacen like this.
  19. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    YES! I love the original X-Men movie, but that had to be one of the most rediculous non - sensical lines I ever heard.

20. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I think people who criticize Titanic as being overly idealistic are totally missing the point. Indeed, that is the entire point. If the ship hadn't sunk, Rose would have eventually realized how much it sucks to be dirt poor. Jack would have become annoyed by Rose's unbeknownst proclivities. But, at the core, they were two souls who completed each other. And they weren't able to live long enough together to realize what they disliked about each other.

21. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    How did they complete each other if they actually wouldn't have gotten along at all? Isn't that sort of the opposite of what that means?

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    They both completed each others visceral convictions. As Albert Camus observed, there is an innate desire to rebel against ones own circumstances and define oneself as an individual. The fundamental problem is that in order for one be able to facilitate one's freedom as an individual, a government that enforces the conditions that facilitate this principle is needed (this is why I constantly describe myself to people as conservative in principle, but liberal in practice). Jack and Rose's relationship came to a terminus before these well-meaning but genuine differences could ever, or would ever have to, manifest themselves.

23. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Joss Whedon has said in interviews he wrote that line, and Halle Berry delivered it in the way it was not supposed to be said, but it still doesn't make up for the fact it's a stupid line. I think even the Super Hero Squad cartoon make fun of it, and when an obviously "for kids" cartoon makes fun of something, you know it's bad.

24. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    In TDK: NO MORE DEAD COPS

In TDKR: GET THIS HOTHEAD OUT OF HERE

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Joss redeemed himself by also writing:

"Hey! It's me."
    "Prove it."
    "You're a ****."