main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Terrible moments in otherwise great movies

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Dec 22, 2012.

1. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Drawing on Camus to explain the love story in Titanic. Just when I thought i'd seen it all.

Ramza likes this.
  2. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if James Cameron had never read Camus. Titanic is just.... overwrought and simplistic. It deserved its technical Oscar's, but not any of the other ones.

3. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    The story doesn't hold up after all these year, but the technical work does.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    X-Men First Class, Mystique at the end- "And Beast..Never Forget..Mutant, and Proud!"

An eye-roller in an otherwise great movie.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Which just goes to show even the Great Whedon can write clunkers every once and awhile.

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, him passing the blame on to Berry is kind of lame. I mean, there is no good way to deliver a line that bad.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  7. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Do the last ten minutes of Red River constitute a moment?

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    He did the same thing with regard to the entirety of Alien Resurrection.

9. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    The problem with the story (as pointed out by Jay and Mike at RedLetterMedia) is that when Jack steps in, Rose is in the exact same position she was in with Billy Bitchslap; she no longer has the need to think for herself. She's never at the same mental or emotional level as Ellen Ripley or Sarah Connor, and she would have died outright if Jack had not been there to take care of her.

Only because she's actually hot for Jack it doesn't matter like it did with Billy.
    For instance, when Rose is about to commit suicide, Jack shows up to tell her exactly how she will die. Jack then knows exactly what will happen when a ship sinks. "Don't you believe it, Rose!".

Or you could take the other interpretation that Jack never existed in the first place and Rose simply had a beautiful mind....

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The architect scene in Matrix Reloaded.
    Architect: Blather, blather, exposition, blather, machines, fate.
    Neo: Ummm kthxbye

Darth_Invidious and CT-867-5309 like this.
  11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Temple of Doom rail car jump.

12. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Don't forget the "Rave in the Cave" scene. Can't say that I was expecting to see a bunch of sweaty half-naked techno-music cavemen dancing in slow motion intercut with Keanu's O-face when I bought my ticket....

American Alligators living in India....

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    No I was trying to forget that scene and purge it out of my mind since it was completely unnecessary in every regard. [face_sick]

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It was partially inspired by Kurosawa's Kakushi-toride no san-akunin, I think.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I disagree with you on this one. It was awesome!

Valyn likes this.
  16. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Maggie Gyllenhaal questioning the Chinese mob dude in The Dark Knight. "Tell us where's the money?" Ugh. Such an awful voice right there.

Maggie Gyllenhaal standing up to the Joker at the fundraising event in the Dark Knight. "Ok, stop!" Srsly.

Batman growling, "You never learned to mind your surroundings!" to Ras aboard the monorail in Batman Begins. The sound editing is just so off, and the line makes no sense. Ras misjudged Bruce's intentions with the train, sure, but that isn't an invitation for that line.

Doctor Octopus's ability to endure Spider-Man's punches in Spider-Man 2. He has mechanical arms--not super-durable flesh!

When Scorpion shouts, "Suuuckeeers!" to Liu Kang and Sub-Zero in Mortal Kombat Annihilation. Oh, wait, that whole movie was terrible.

17. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    The car chase scene in Jackie Chan's Mr. Nice guy. completely awesome.

18. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Branching off from that.....I highly enjoyed Paul W. S. Anderson's first Mortal Kombat movie. It wan't Oscar worthy or anything, but at least it did what it needed to do and did it well, and I'm pretty sure it's still the best movie adaptation of a video game ever. (at least until Shigeru Myamoto ever has a change of heart and decides to convince/bribe/blackmail either Peter Jackson or Neill Blomkamp into doing a proper Zelda film. So far though, Myamoto isn't budging. No Castlevania either, despite that hack Uwe Boll's multiple attempts.)

But the two things that bugged me was the really terrible CGI they used for Reptile and the fact that Anderson decided to turn Sonya from a certified badass into a damsel in distress for the last third of the movie. Sure he probably got the idea from MKII (in which Sonya and Kano were both captured by Shao Khan), but at least the game version made sense, given that you see her still struggling to break free in the background.
    All Shang Tsung does is grab her by her hair and she's overpowered....like a female Samson.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The last quarter or so of Event Horizon. Basically, I didn't like what they did with Sam Neil's character.

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't know how anyone can find that moment terrible, it was full of epicness

Valyn and Force Smuggler like this.
  21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't think you understand what epic means.

Hint: It's not a synonym for "Cool."

22. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    If you mention Temple of Doom, and don't mention rafting out of the sky onto a mountain, you've missed the point that should be cited here

23. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    You forgot "Ergo"

24. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  25. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    ITS NOT NICE TO FOOL MOTHER NATURE!!!!!!