main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Merry Christmas to all... now let the holiday shopping be OVER!

2. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Wow, 36 generations! That's really impressive. They had to have taken more than a year to compile that much info!

Merry Christmas, and God bless us, everyone.

3. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Hopefully, today is the last day I'll be subjected to non-stop Christmas songs. There's only so much deck the halls and I saw Da Mommy kissing Santa Claus my brain can take . . .

4. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Oh, at least you don't have to listen to TWO Christmas songs at the same time. At my work, they pipe in through satellite Christmas songs, plus they have a radio in the seasonal aisle with a tape loop playing 20 different songs. [face_sick]

Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas carols, but I've been putting up with that for TWO months. I can't wait 'til tomorrow.

5. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Wait, you mean to say you've been enduring that since before Thanksgiving? Isn't there a law against that sort of thing?

6. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Merry Xmas!

I've yet to go downstairs to see if there is anything for me. Heh. I was soooo tired from last nights drive from my brothers house. I spent Eve there with the family and my nieces fiancés family. As always it was a blast with my nephews being the highlight of the night. Little Lucas was more fascinated in the 8 pack of batteries than the remote control truck he got. His brother loved the signed Luke Skywalker and Cmdr Cody pics I got him.

Gathering ended with us all plotting on how we can obtain the 180+ acres we saw that was for sale down the road so we can all split it and build so the family would be near yet also just far enough.

And I leave with a new project for my oldest nephew. His mom is having difficulty getting him to read and since I know he and I are like best buds and all, I promised to write some fan fiction for his level. Now I just need to figure out *how* to write Star Wars for a child that will capture his interest on the first page.

This message brought to you by the letter S and by the letter W.

7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Merry Christmas to those who celebrate!

Ugh, I hated when I worked at Sears and had to listen to Christmas music for months! Now, I start listening to it a little bit starting in December, but mostly about a week out. Though I mostly listen to the Nutcracker which is Christmas to me.

I spent X-Mas eve getting my butt handed to me working in the ER. Also working today... someone has to do it, sick people don't observe holidays. ;) But after today I'm off for 5 days! :D Then working New Years eve and New Years Day. :( (I kinda got the shaft on working on/surounding holidays this year, but I get time and a half!)

Aww... that's sweet that you're going to write something for him, Cmdr!

8. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    He just kept saying "Hundreds and Hundreds of Hours." His cousin Hope did 10 years of research, but he and Megan did a lot of fleshing out certain family lines, so we not only know about that one guy who was a Knight Crusader, but also the Seaman line that owned a lot of Long Island.

9. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Does that mean we have to call you Sir/Dame Ishtar now? ;)

10. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Nah, they don't write laws like that here in the U.S. because there's this thing called separation of church and state (J/K), but seriously, I think I could sue for all the migraines caused by having to listen to two different songs being played simultaneously.

Another irritating thing is this year, some of the stations played Christmas songs on the radio before Halloween! Talk about overkill.

Hehe, I already call her "Master"... just realized, that makes me a sith apprentice [face_whistling]

11. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I've got my family genealogy on my computer. I never would have touched it without a computer. My grandfather did all that stuff with handwritten charts. Computers were MADE for keeping track of all that stuff. All those old New England families got paranoid about all the immigrants coming in during the 19th century, so they wrote up their genealogies. Makes things MUCH easier, since they did all the work (the stuff that's been confirmed). The in-breeding helps a bit, too, by cutting down the number of people that need to be looked up. The Irish immigrants made things tough by living in Bridgeport, Connecticut -- yeeesh, not the best place to look for ancestors. But most people in my family didn't get interested until I found the ax murders and a witchcraft conviction.

Blah! I didn't get nearly as much done this weekend as I wanted. And I'm still going through the Open-Office to Word transition.

12. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    One of my aunts (not really an aunt but we called her 'aunt' as she was related) did some research into that side of the family a while ago. From what we can tell and understand, it seems that the James family originally came from up north and were ship builders called 'Maynard'. One of the family members stole a sheep and was hanged for it, and the rest of the family moved down south and changed the name to James. But yeah, the most interesting people seem to be the criminals and the bad eggs. Finding well known people is great and all, but if it's worthy of being on wikipedia it's kind of boring as everyone knows about it.

13. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    We are having a thundersnow-storm here! I'm 48 years old and have NEVER heard of this before. Thunder and lightening during a snow storm... and the snow is coming down a 2+ inches/hour. It's really cool (literally and figuratively).

TrakNar likes this.
  14. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Cool! I've never seen a thunder snow storm. Thunderstorms isn't something we get a lot of up here. We might get one a year.

Wow. 36 generations? I know I would never have the time or the resources to do that (for one of my great grandfather's - his church where they kept all the records burnt down in the 1910's so all history for that side of the family was destroyed), but it would be interesting to find out more details about the other sides of my family pre-1800’s.

I hope everyone that celebrates had a very merry Christmas! I did and I even did a good deed. One of my cousins just broke up with his girlfriend and she got their kid Christmas eve AND christmas morning. Normally he would have spent the two days with our grandparents, but they're gone away. So we let him stay over Christmas eve, I got him drunk and my parents even did up a small stocking for him to open Christmas morning. Thankfully he got to spend the afternoon and evening with his little girl.

15. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Well this is weird. Got a totally random txt message on my phone from someone I don't know but apparently knows my name. Did a reverse lookup of the number and the person is from Irvington, NJ. I only know two people from NJ and neither of them is a woman named Jen. Wondering if one of them gave my number to his girlfriend. 0_o

16. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I did my geneology online and by writing libraries and getting court and military records. I went back to 1700 on my father's side of the family and around the same for my mother's side. That may not sound like much, but I have documentation to verify each step. This was done about ten years ago when Ancestry.com just started. I should try it again I guess. While doing research some fellow with a common ancestor said he followed the family line back over a thousand years, but I didn't see any documentation to support any of it.

I was told one of my ancestors came over on the Mayflower. I am about two generations away from proving it, but I just can't find the documents to bridge the gap. So I can't get into the Mayflower descendant club...or whatever it is called...not that I care, but it would be cool for the kids when they do their Geneology Merit Badge. So far there are no famous people...unless you include my brother. He starred in the movie Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. LOL!

You know I was thinking about Episode 7. If, as some people believe, they start out at around 50 ABY they could tell the Vong backstory (if they want to remain canon) as a violent video game. Jedi and Galactic Alliance Vs the Vong. And if they wanted to do a back story for Luke and Mara that could be done in a cartoon form like The Clone Wars.

I am not saying that will be the best way, but if they wanted to remain canon it would be a way to let people know the back stories other than saying "Go read the 100 EU novels".

17. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    A Vong video game would be awesome!

I think their best bet with ep7 would be something like that. Skip to like 50 ABY and tell an original story with the big 3's kids. They can make passing reference to the existing EU, therefore keeping it canon, but the average Joe does not have to read all the EU to know what is going on.

18. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    I would love a later era but still canon ep7 but I feel like they'd rather cater to the average Joe who would probably like to continue the Big 3's exploits.
    Think of all the back story though- it could make for a great opening crawl- A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...
    'The New Republic was formed from the Rebellion, and then was almost destroyed by Thrawn; and then by civil war; and then by the Yuuzhan Vong; and then the Galactic Alliance was formed, and then was almost destroyed by Killiks; and then by Jacen Solo; and then by some ill-defined creature called Abeloth. And there were some Sith in there too, but they pretty much just existed for page filler. And to give Luke's kid a love-interest. Basically, there has been no semblance of peace or stability since you last saw us dancing with the ewoks.'

Beautiful. I don't know why Disney doesn't hire me.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  19. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    [face_laugh]

Also, I am now experimenting fanfic wise. Normally I just make it up as I go...this time I'm actually plotting the thing out. Should be interesting if nothing else :p

20. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    I've been terrible with fanfic lately but I was on a great roll last year with fully plotting and having a complete/almost complete rough draft before even starting to post a new story. I think it helped make my stories better (better continuity and tying of loose ends, mostly) and I was always eager to write because I wanted to be able to start posting.

Early this year, I decided to treat myself to a make-it-up-as-I-go story again and... yeah, totally backfired. Lost all sorts of momentum with THE MOVE and it was a fairly busy year for me comparatively, so it's been pretty untouched for several months now. :( I'm done with my spring semester classes in mid-March though so I'm hoping to pick up again in the spring with some more stuff... at least before May when I forget what the word 'sleep' means.

21. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Thundersnows are indeed very cool. Very rare, but very neat to watch.

Late Happy Life Day to everyone!

My Christmas Eve was a sleigh ride away from being some cheesy TV special. I accompanied my half-brother and his family to Christmas Eve service, and it had been snowing all evening. It was still snowing when we walked down the street to the church, we had about two inches of accumulation, it was reflecting the Christmas lights, and a brass band was playing songs just down the block. All we needed were carolers dressed in Victorian clothing and a one-horse open sleigh to go by with a young couple snuggled in the back. Of course, at that point in this TV special, the camera would cut away from my group and to the couple in the sleigh as they talk about how magical the evening is.

I got a decent haul this Christmas, too. My brother got me a Cthulhu hand puppet! :D

22. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I call that snightning. First saw it when I was 19.

23. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    *Sings* I'm dreaming of a whiiite New Yeeear!

:p

This snow came a day late! Oh well, at least I don't have to drive in it. When I did have a car, driving wasn't the problem, it was the other idiots on the road who thought, "Oh, I have a SUV, I can take this no problem!" Then proceeded to skid all over the friggin' road at full speed. :rolleyes: I keep waiting for the general populous to get a brain... I won't hold my breath.

24. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I live at 600ft elevation... any time we get an inch of snow, school gets cancelled. Really.

25. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    It's raining here, I have had two days working again to diminish the large load the post-delivery dropped in our townhall and now I am home.
    Christmas parties went as usual with the first day to my mom and the second day to my brother who was celebrating his 51th birthday.
    And with a Phillipine wife and daughter that's a birthday Phillipine style with lots of weird food and eating all day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.