main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Star Wars Misconceptions You Had as a Kid. (RE-MADE)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Saber101, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Matsemitsu

Matsemitsu Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Ah yes, Dantooine... I used to think they meant Tatooine, but that I either misheard or the dubbing got it wrong or something...

And Oola: As a kid, I also thought that once through the trapdoor to the Rancor, Jabba fished her out of his bowl and ate her. That sequence had me scared and disgusted.

The eternal question: Are Stormtroopers robots? - Didn't every kid ask himself that? I sure did.

2. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I used to think Vader's "you were right" quote was "you've arrived."

3. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    That's ok. I believe i previously wrote that Anakin/Vader was saying "take your sister, go for a ride"

Darth Chiznuk and SlashMan like this.
  4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Utterly forgot about this thread until this Alert.

Seagoat likes this.
  5. VonDan

VonDan Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 4, 2012
    For the same reason I always remember the parts of the sting out of order with the end shoot out being first. Our parents got to the movie really late or a half hour early and took us in any ways then stayed over the 20 min break to watch the begining of the movie again

6. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I thought that the space slug was a trap set by Darth Vader. That is, until one of my friends convinced me that no, they just live everywhere in the asteroid fields, and that's why people are afraid to go into asteroid fields.

7. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    When i was younger, i never knew why the rebels were on Endor in ROTJ!

8. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    I knew a kid growing up that was convinced the Stormtroopers were droids because they had OIL written on their backs.

kainee and Star Wars age 9 like this.
  9. MandalorianWrath

MandalorianWrath Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2005
    The very same. I thought whatever was underneath Jabba's throne that Oola fell into had turned her into a frog-like creature that was then sent back to Jabba's bowl so he could pick it up and eat it.

Weird.

10. Matsemitsu

Matsemitsu Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    So kids do think alike. However, I have to add that the resolution on the VHS tape we had was so bad that I didn't even SEE that it was supposed to be a frog....

11. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    My SW misconception occurred before we even got to the theater to see ANH in '77 (which, of course, wasn't even called ANH in those days, but I digress...). I was 8, and I was convinced that my parents were taking me to see A Star is Born (the re-make), which famously featured a poster of Kris Kristofferson and Barbra Streisand in what appeared to be a naked embrace. I told everyone on my block I was going to see a movie with naked people.

All I can remember is when those ships first passed over my head in the opening shot I thought "what the..." and then promptly forgot all about naked adults... My friends had big questions when I got home, however.

12. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Dark Vader.

Also, I remember being convinced that green lightsabers were for Jedi Masters. So I was really confused why Anakin was allowed to use a green one in Episode II.

darklordoftech and SlashMan like this.
  13. Star Wars age 9

Star Wars age 9 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 29, 2012
  14. Star Wars age 9

Star Wars age 9 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 29, 2012
    I had the misconception [apparently] that Vader killed Luke's father - so they were two different people. Shows how stupid kids are! LOL!

I also remembered the film as looking like this - after the first viewing:
    http://starwarsage9.com/index.php/about-swa9

John

krtmd likes this.
  15. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Well, that was the plan before Empire Strikes Back came around.

Also, I believed that when lightsabers got old, they started to flicker. As a kid, I thought the effect was intentional, and to me, it seemed that Vader's saber was more solid than Obi-Wan's, or even Luke's in A New Hope.

16. MaggieSolo

MaggieSolo Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2009
    I'm sure I had a few misconceptions because I was really young when the original movies came out, but right now I'm thinking about a friend's son who kept asking what vampires were. We couldn't figure out why he was asking since he seemed too young to have even heard of them but then he explained: You know, cause of The Vampire Strikes Back.

17. DarthAlgar

DarthAlgar Jedi Master star 1

Mar 7, 2002
    This isn't one I had just as a kid really. It's something I held onto even into the prequels, but it started with the original trilogy. I always thought Obi-Wan was the Jedi name of Ben Kenobi, not that Ben was just the alias he used while in hiding. Then before Episode I it was revealed that Liam Neeson's character would have the very similar name Qui-Gon. So at that point I thought it was pretty much confirmed that the two parts divided by a hyphen was the Jedi equivalent of a Darth title, and even leading up to Episode II I wondered what Anakin's Jedi name could end up being. I know there were already plenty of Jedi by then that didn't follow that naming trend, but I thought a few like Ki Adi Mundi could've still made sense with my idea. I'm still a little disappointed that one turned out to be wrong.

kainee likes this.
  18. BAK

BAK Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2012
    Was watching the OT in the mid 90's with my roommate and he still thought the same thing. This was before the PT. We were both in our mid 20's at the time and big fans all our lives. I told him he was mistaken and his response was, "why do they have 'oil' written on their backs then?"

I finally realized he was remembering the old action figures which do have some symbol like "OII" on their backs. He thought all those years that that was where they put the oil. LOL.

When I was a kid, I used to think Vader was a robot. When you see the back of his head in Empire, it really threw me for a loop.

19. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I used to think when Luke was being shocked by the Emperor, he wasn't shouting "Father please!", but instead I heard "Han please!"

Lol, I thought he was calling Han for help through the force or something!

darklordoftech likes this.
  20. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    when I first heard it I thought Qui-Gon said

"he was well trained in the Jedi alliance"

[face_worried]

what's worse the line i thought he said didn't even confuse me :p

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    I am not sure if this was wrong but I asked my parents how Darth Vader was able to have kids since he was a robot. [face_blush]

22. Trask Ulgo

Trask Ulgo Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 8, 2012
    As a kid, I thought Obi-Wan said the colonial wars, not clone wars. I guess I liked history class too much :p

Seagoat and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  23. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    That might be the best misconception in this thread!!! [face_laugh]

24. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    As a kid, I only knew Empire and Jedi, and didn't see ANH until later. When I finally saw it, I went 10-yr-old, retcon crazy trying to connect the events of the movies. For example:

1. I was convinced that the asteroid field in ESB was obviously the remains of Alderaan, and the story was just too poorly written to acknowledge it.
    2. I assumed that Tarkin somehow survived the Death Star being destroyed, with only cosmetic scarring, and became the Emperor in ESB and ROTJ. What can I say? I thought the ESB Emperor looked like a deformed Peter Cushing!
    3. I thought that Luke and Leia were both wearing their ANH clothes at the end of ESB (half true), and that was what they wore when they were just hanging around the house doing nothing exciting.
    4. I was sure that the quad cannons in the Falcon were either retconned out of existence in ESB, or Han had them removed. I just could not accept they existed, because he never used them in ESB or ROTJ.

5. Since ESB was the first movie I remember seeing about space, I remember watching the Falcon chase in the middle of the movie and thinking "if Han keeps going down, he's eventually going to hit the bottom of space, right?" I was thoroughly convinced that space was just like "earth," and there was a sky and a ground. And sure enough, Han eventually landed on the asteroid and went into a hole, confirming my completely twisted understanding of the cosmos. :D

Seagoat, DL44Jo, Binder-lover and 4 others like this.
  25. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I constantly mis-pronounced 'Tantive IV' as 'Tan-Tiv Vee', not the proper 'Tan-Tiv Four'.

MaggieSolo likes this.