main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Vote: Jon Favreau, Matthew Vaughn or David Fincher.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by phatdude1138, Dec 2, 2012.

?

Out of the 3 front runner directors, who would you choose?

1. Jon Favreau

27.8%
  2. Matthew Vaughn

47.6%
  3. David Fincher

24.6%
  1. Boxster

Boxster Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    People do or do not get it, its not my problem but some think others must think things their ways. You must a scientologist!

What makes you the authority of what or who SW fans should be loyal to?

I am a huge Kevin Smith fan, so go befuddle somewhere else!

2. Boxster

Jul 13, 2005
    :D Aw, come on, he is not that bad a director. It also voice down to the film editors to make a film great.

Anyway, dunno when we get some more official news.

3. metr0man

metr0man Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    Matthew Vaughan is my top choice. After that, I'm intrigued by Fincher, who I think could give us a serious thoughtful take (a la Kershner). Favreau is dead last out of these choice. I like Iron Man 1 and that's about it. IM2 and Cowboys and Aliens were so mediocre that I have no faith in him.
    Plus I doubt his ability to direct a great action sequence.

4. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I'm a huge Kevin Smith fan. I listen to his podcasts regularly, have autographed DVDs on my shelves, but I know that it's disingenuous and logically absurd to bring his name up for the ST.

If you're were a huge Kevin Smith fan, you would know that he has stated very clearly that he would have no interest in this project, or frankly any films that aren't Clerks 3 or Hit Somebody (now a TV mini series).
    If you were a huge Kevin Smith fan, you would know that he's never made a movie with a budget over $37 million, or a domestic gross over $45 million.
    If you were a huge Kevin Smith fan, you would know that he has always turned down big budget geek projects, because he doesn't have the ambition to make them.
    If you were a huge Kevin Smith fan, you would know that he's basically burned all of his bridges with the Weinsteins, film critics, Hollywood, internet journalists, or basically anyone else who could help him continue a career making studio-funded movies.

Don't come at me because your factually inaccurate "opinion" holds no water. So yeah, you must think my way.

5. Boxster

Jul 13, 2005
    *No blasters!*

6. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Vaughn and Favreau are both good choices, but I like Vaughn better, I think, because he's shown the ability to overcome problems in a script (X-Men); Favreau has not. I like Fincher, but he seems more noir-minded than what we want. Both Vaughn and Favreau could create the right look for the ST, and both can blend humor with darkness and action, but Vaughn somehow seems more innovative or talented.

Zack Snyder and Guillermo del Toro would also be very interesting stylistically. After Vaughn, I think del Toro would be my next choice, if he was available.

7. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    As a long time Star Wars fan im still praying that one day we'll all see a 3 part epic Trilogy, set thousands of years in the past, during the days of Old Republic..

Movies nearing 3 hours in length, Directed by Peter Jackson, employing his special effects team. All the while keeping in mind that these movies will be more adult orientated and not marketed towards younger people as their main demographic.

Dra--- likes this.
  8. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    I don't want Zack Snyder anywhere near a Star Wars franchise... Not even his name whispered in the same sentence. His movies are grandiose crap.

9. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I love 300, but thought Suckerpunch was okay. HATED Watchmen and now, since I've seen some stuff from Superman I have gotten over Snyder. Besides he said it wouldn't do it.

10. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Not that I disagree with the rest, but didn't he work on Superman about 14/15 years ago?
    There is this video where he talks about that time, Jon Peters and the giant ... spider and all ;)
    Now, his involvement ended when Tim Burton wanted to write a script on his own, and the project was cancelled later on anyway, but he did work on it.

11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    The next person to launch flames will get clobbered with my shiny ban-stick.

12. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Ha, ha. I expected I'd be in the minority on Mr. Snyder. "Grandiose" is a good word to describe his style. If he toned it down a bit for Star Wars, that maximalist or "excessive" style might really be cool. I think there's something inherently grandiose about Star Wars, being a space epic, but I can totally understand why people wouldn't want him near the franchise. The end product would either be something truly amazing or, yes, terrible.

13. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    You answered your own question there, Oissan. Since then, he's walked away from plenty of other opportunities, like Daredevil and Green Hornet. He's been very vocal about talking fans down when they suggest he work on these projects.

14. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    I don't think anything Snyder has done has been good. His movies especially 300 lacks any good dialogue and interesting character development..

Watchmen as a book by Alan Moore is outstanding but the movie is awful

Sucker Punch, well who can argue this, it hurt my brain, eyes and the 2 hours it took to see it all...

I just don't understand why they don't let Peter Jackson direct these movies... Hes proven to direct absolutely amazing trilogies that will last the test of time just like Star Wars did. and he has by far the best special effects in the movie industry...

Return of the King has better special effects than most movies today and that came out on 2004.. The Hobbit is just loadedwith the classiest special effects Hollywood has ever seen... Plus he uses real sets, and props, not everything is green screen crap either.

15. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I'm not arguing for Snyder to write the screenplay. In terms of pure visual spectacle, he's a major talent.

Overall, I thought he did a pretty good job bringing a difficult concept to the screen. I enjoyed most of it. I don't think it's fair to call it "awful" when it has a 64% fresh rating on RT. You're entitled to your view though.

Haven't seen it; can't comment. The visuals do look interesting.

I like del Toro's effects the best. I have to admit, I'm not the biggest fan of the Hobbit series, although I enjoyed the action. The whiny, prone to crying characters drove me nuts. I would hate to see that happen to the ST. Jackson is also not immune to awful movie making -- see (or don't see) The Lovely Bones (32% RT. Objectively "awful").

I don't really want to argue too much for Snyder though. My top three choices would be Vaughn, del Toro, or Favreau. But -- and this will probably annoy some people (sorry) -- if I had to choose between another George Lucas directed SW film and Snyder, I wouldn't have to think twice about picking the latter.

16. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't know much about Fincher, but I would be happy with Favreau or Vaughn.

17. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012

I agree that Snyders visuals are impressive, they would make for great action scenes in a Star Wars movie.. I just feel he always over does it, the music, its so grandiose. Its like hes trying to hard. As a whole I don't think his movies are good..

But I completely disagree about Peter Jackson and his special effects. The LOTR trilogy is masterfully done, and with great dialogue and acting and focusing on characters the movies would be amazing. To me Peter Jackson is a no brainer, hes proven it before. Also Lovely Bones is nothing special but Stanly Tucci and the young girl are fantastic in it.

Lastly I also think Del Toror is great too. I would be pumped if I heard the news he was directing it.the new trilogy..

18. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    See all of his films just because they're great cinema (Alien 3 excluded although it has it's moments of merit).

19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Posted this in another thread, but I think it's relevant to this one as well. I have a theory. Bare with me, please. We know Michael Arndt wrote a long, detailed treatment for the entire ST. We know Michael Arndt is writing Episode VII. We're pretty sure Lawrence Kasdan & Simon Kinberg have been hired to write other undisclosed Star Wars films. We've seen Jason Flemyng's slip up about Matthew Vaughan very possibly directing Episode VII. And, we've seen Jon Favreau post the Iron2-D2 pic on his twitter, indicating his possible involvement with Star Wars. What if they've all been hired to write and direct the ST. What if, instead of filming all 3 films at once, they film them quickly back to back like the Harry Potter films. What if Vaughan & Arndt are doing Episode VII, Favreau & Kasdan are doing Episode VIII, and Kinberg & ? are doing Episode IX. This would give them time to flesh out the scripts, while still having quick turn around for profits. This would also help alleviate concerns about the ages of the older actors, as the films would be filmed/ released much more quickly. Anyway, just a thought.

Merlin_Ambrosius69 and Dra--- like this.
  20. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    That is a point, filming them back to back would be a wise move with an aging cast.

I mean Harrison is 70, he can still pull off a lovable rogue, but at some point age will catch up with him and he will go from looking like this:

[​IMG]

To looking like this:
    [​IMG]

21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Poor Kirk Douglas. You're still awesome in my book Kirk!

22. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Even if they filmed the whole trilogy or just 8 & 9 together, my gut says Ford will only be in Episode 7. I think he'll finally get his wish.

23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Kirk Douglas is in his nineties. He's over twenty years older than Ford.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  24. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    A Fincher Star Wars would be interesting. I'm still pulling for Alfonso Cuaron, Duncan Jones and Brad Bird to divide up the trilogy between themselves.