main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Skywalker Saga continued?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Pro Scoundrel , Dec 1, 2012.

1. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    HARSH!! - Cut me some slack! It's late!

But you're right, that idea sucks... :)

2. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    That... Is why you failed....

3. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    After getting halfway through LOTF, I defiantly want Ben to appear.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I've been thinking about how they can carry on the hero's journey with this new trilogy and how a new Skywalker could possibly fit into that. To me, and this is only my opinion, a boy being trained by his father from birth to be a Jedi and then going off on his first mission doesn't really cut it. Now one of the steps in the hero's journey is atonement with the father and I've already discussed my theory about Luke having a child he has yet to meet. Then I got to thinking that maybe are thoughts about Luke's role in the new trilogy are a bit off. Before the PT was released almost all just assumed Obi-Wan would discover Anakin (including me!) but then we got Qui-Gon and this whole different group dynamic. Now it seems we're all assuming Luke will fulfill the Obi-Wan role from the OT with him possibly dying at the end of VII. My new pet theory is that Luke will fulfill the Darth Vader role and trust me I am not saying in any way whatsoever will Luke be a villain but someone who the new protagonist will have to atone with for some reason and Luke will die at the end of the ST having made amends with his child. Which would also require a different character (possibly an all together new character) to fulfill the Obi-Wan role which would be interesting. I'm probably way off but it's fun to speculate!

5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    If someone else fills the Obi-Wan role instead of Luke it would have to be a new character, since Luke was the only Jedi left at the end of the OT. Maybe it will be Leia. :)

6. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Leia would be interesting but I would rather have her be the leader of the Republic (maybe she could fulfill both roles). I think a completely new character (maybe one of Luke's first students) would be quite fun.

7. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    So what do you think that would leave for Luke to do?

8. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    If Luke doesn't have kids, they should give Leia's kids a double name, i.e. Skywalker-Solo. Besides, Star Wars doesn't have to follow English naming conventions. In Spanish speaking countries, children get two last names from both parents. In many countries wife doesn't change her last name after marriage, etc. Give us some variety.

9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    That would be the million dollor question! It would depend on what the plot is. If say it's about philosophical differences in the Jedi Order that lead to somekind of schism then I could see Luke on one side and the old student on the other. That could lead to all sorts of avenues for the story to go. But who knows I'm just guessing.

10. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Luke Skywalker - The Yoda Role

11. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I could totally see this. Some young kid, strong in the force, gets "compelled" to go search for the Old Legend Luke Skywalker. He follows his intuition, travels to some remote far-off Outer-Rime world. There, he climbs to the top of a mountain chain, it almost kills him in the process. And standing at the top is an old man dressed in robes. Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master.

kainee likes this.
  12. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I actually meant the Yoda in the PT role... head of the order, wise old guy, and so forth, not the doomed mentor figure of OT Obi-wan or Qui-Gon, or the hermit Jedi Master of ESB.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  13. startravellerearth

startravellerearth Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2012
    I wanna watch VII with Ben Skywalker as the hero along with Jaina & Jacen Solo.

Luke can be the mentor. Anakin can appear as a Force Ghost.

kainee likes this.
  14. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    It's possible.

15. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Chewie had a nephew that was a Jedi?

Goofy garbage in a nut shell.

16. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Goofy garbage? Are you even a true fan? I've grown up with Lowie! (chewies nephew). If it wasn't for him, I wouldnt have had the courage to ask my fiancé to out prom! Read a few books then come back with a response.

17. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    No offense to anyone, but I for one really hope the new trilogy does NOT center around the Skywalker or Solo family.

There have been mentions by Lucas in his interviews over the years that ROTJ is the end of the Skywalkers' saga. The end of that film has been his public justification for not working on a ST.

Offspring of another Force user like Dooku or Qui Gon could be interesting IMO.

18. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Let's watch the 'true fan' remarks please.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  19. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    If you believe the current rumours, then Disney is sticking to the original plans - but making "historical adjustments" (instead of 20 years after RoTJ, its alleged to be between 30 - 40 to match the ages of the original cast. Disney do not really want to recast)

And, again, the original GL plot was about a "female Skywalker" and (according to the latest rumours) 'Episode VII New Dawn' will be based around a female Skywalker. At first, I thought Jaina Solo would be taken from the EU and used, but I highly doubt it. My instincts tells me the ST will be about Leia. Sorry, but it would make sense:

The prequels were about the father and the original tragedy followed the son's journey. In terms of the "Skywalker Saga", it would make no sense to ignore the daughter's journey. After all, RoTJ dropped several hints that Leia was growing in the Force (see the shuttle scene where Luke senses Darth Vader on-board the Star Destroyer; watch Leia's reaction, she senses him too). You can't ignore it.

Also, I might add, I very much believe the ST will make no reference to Luke being married or having a son.

Mata2010 likes this.
  20. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Luke and Leia's offspring will be the focus of the ST, IMO.

I can see Han and Leia having a daughter and Luke having a son.

It would very interesting to see Han and Leia's daughter to have the combined attributes of her parents. Would make for a kick ass female lead.

21. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Even though George said ROTJ is the end of the Skywalker's does that really matter? I mean VII is Disney's film now, not George's but didn't he outline it?

Anyways, I'll be disappointed if Ben/Jaina/Jacen/Anakin/Allana don't appear in the ST at all.

22. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Daniel, that's a very cool idea I could get on board with! I just wonder if *current era Carrie* still possesses the chops to dial up that type of performance.

23. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    To play the Devil's advocate, why would they appear or be given major roles?

We must accept a significant minority (even majority) of the audience probably have no knowledge of the EU.

24. Boxster

Boxster Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    And some don't want to acknowledge anything about the EU! Me included! I hope they start with a fresh clean piece of paper with this.

25. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    OK, it took a while, but I read through this entire thread. And no one mentioned the business aspect of all of this. Why did Disney buy LucasFilm? To make a profit. And wouldn't they want to keep that profit going as long as they can? Ok, now consider Disney's main target group...kids. Sure, they own other companies that gear towards older people, but their main focus is kids. Star Wars has, for the most part, appealed mostly to kids...who then kept that love of SW into their adult years (guilty as charged). So, I would speculate that Disney would want something from new SW movies that would appeal to kids...and then allow them to, later on, a few years later, do something to bring in their kids, and so on. While movies with all adult characters would appeal to those of us that are adult SW fans, I think Disney, and LFL, will want to introduce some younger characters (no, I'm not saying little kid character, but teenage characters...yes) that will draw in kids of this generation as well as appealing to those kids' parents (um, that would be us that grew up with SW). So, having new characters along side the original characters would make the most business sense. So, yes, I believe that we'll get more Skywalkers and Solos and probably Calrissians.

As for how they'd explain Luke, Leia, Han, and/or Lando having families...how about the opening crawl? A good story could also introduce new characters and relationships smoothly. And, they could always fill in backstories between Ep.6 and Ep.9 through other media (books, comics, tv, etc.). They did that with the PT and it worked pretty well. And, if they decide to scrap the existing post-RotJ EU, then I'm sure that there are publishers and tv producers that would love to come up with all new EU material that will fit with the new movies. People and fans are fickle. They'll soon forget and/or forgive any overwriting of other established stories. In the end, SW will live on.