main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What Presents Did You Give and Get?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Oh, I'm blaming the phone. But I'm considering the conversion to Apple because everyone I know who has Apple swears that they'll never ever go back to Android.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, I've had an Android HTC Inspire HD (I think that's what its nonsense name is) for a couple years and the only real problem I had with it (the screen not orienting right when it's tilted) was because of the phone. I think I'm gonna get a Galaxy S3 soon; certainly cheaper than an iPhone 5 with a contract.

I received a Kindle Paperwhite ('cause **** LCD tablet screens for reading), the Led Zep reunion blu-ray, Colbert's second book, A Brief History of Neoliberalism by David Harvey ( :D), and cash. I gave things too, but what I got is more important.

3. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    What's kept me with Android thus far besides the price difference is the ability to use free wallpapers/ringtones/etc from free sources like Zedge. My dad got an iPhone last year and I tried to set up some personalized ringtones and stuff for him on it (he's not very tech savvy) and it was a huge pain...whereas with the Android, you can pretty much do as you please.

4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Ugh, frak's sake dude. As much as I enjoyed playing him he's not the greatest character ever. Give it a rest with that Italian fop, eh? :p

5. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    I wish I could've gotten things for my Mom, but I just haven't felt well enough this holiday season to do so, let alone ask for much myself which even then I didn't really know what I wanted, if anything. I still ended up getting some t-shirts, Darth Vader boxers, Kahlua chocolates, a 20$ psn gift card & a Christmas card signed by her, though. I'm hoping to make it up to her soon enough, though, what with boxing day tomorrow & such.

6. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    It's a little late to give it a rest, since dressing up as anything else for Halloweens to come will be a huge waste of money. At least the costume was very well received at this year's Halloween party. Everyone absolutely loved it. And then on Halloween when I took my daughter trick-or-treating, everyone was talking about it and shouting out what an awesome outfit it was. While I approached doors with my daughter, even kids were exchanging looks with each other and whispering, "It's Ezio!" It was all pretty fun. Plus one dude gave my daughter extra candy just because I was dressed up as Ezio.

Seems like Connor hasn't stolen all of that Italian fop's thunder just yet!

7. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Whereas everyone I know that's done the opposite has siad the same. :p

I would guess a lot of it comes down to app commenting. If you're going to have to rebuy apps you've already bought then that's a significant downside.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    lo... no, it's Christmas. I'm spending time with my son. I'm not going to sit here and argue with you all day.

9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I have an LG Lucid. It's not the best, but it does most of the stuff i need it to do.

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well the main thing and certainly the most surprising is that my family went together to get me a Toshiba Ultrabook :eek: I had been considering getting an ultrabook for some time since I'll probably wind up needing a laptop for work and my chronic pain and arm problems mean the lighter the better. But I didn't know they were going to get one for me, because I hadn't asked as that would have been too expensive... but apparently not. This is the first real laptop I've ever had. In college I had a desktop replacement gaming laptop that never moved save to go home over summer break. Then I've had a desktop and just a crappy netbook for work. Which was comically small and hard to do research on :p Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised.

I also got a renewal for my Disneyland annual pass, some movies, a bunch of money (my grandparents are insane when it comes to giving gifts and my brother and I are the only grandkids...). And then to top it all off, my mom got me Sherlock Cluedo :D Which hasn't arrived yet from the UK but hopefully will before long so we can have a family game night.

ophelia likes this.
  11. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    my mom got me two tickets to "An Evening of Sit Down with Robin Williams and David Steinberg" which i am so excited about you don't even know

12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Plus Apple's main thing is restricting users from doing stuff. Just in general. Apple hates freedom. [face_flag]

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, Apple has one of the worst company philosophies going. I really liked my iMac for editing and all, but unless they change their ways, I'm not getting another Apple product. They literally just want to force people into buying everything media related only from them (see: not putting blu ray players in because they want everyone to buy really crappy iTunes versions of movies... that you can't watch on your TV unless you have an Apple TV). And then they overcharge and often aren't really better.

14. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    That's pretty much the same argument my boss has used in regards to iPhones: that they're extremely closed and restrictive systems when compared to Androids. Besides, I've never used an Apple product before and I don't feel inclined to ever start. So yeah, let freedom "ring". :p

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Another iPhone user who won't go back to Android. I also don't care that much about customizing my phone, I just want to take it out of the box and have it work well.

I gave games, Legos and books. I got money, Starbucks gift cards and wine. I'm happy.

16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Apple loves it's new iSheep product. "It just works out of the box. Hey, what if I want to do this?" "You don't. Trust us. If we'd thought you really wanted it, we'd have added it to the iTunes store." "Oh. OK. I don't want it. I trust you".

I can think of one thing my iPhone did better than my Galaxy SIII 4G - connect to the iTunes store. That's about it.

solojones and Lowbacca_1977 like this.
  17. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I got a new car. But I'm paying for it so it doesn't count I guess .lol.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  18. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    The only thing I wanted this year was an iPhone, so my family made their contributions and so far I am most happy with it.

This year I spent a bunch on my nephews because they are in love with Ninja Turtles and wanted to contribute to their obsession. It was a great Christmas. :D

Then Marvel gave me the gift of Amazing Spider-Man 700. :( I think they secretly hate me.

19. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    My friends have mostly been moving away from iphones over the last few years. It's been particularly fun as some were die-hard Apple supporters that have gotten tired of what Apple's doing.

Meanwhile, I stick with my $15/month cell phone.

20. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I'm starting grad school at UW in the spring. My family gave me two lined hoodies, a blanket, and 4 umbrellas. It's like they're trying to tell me something about the weather.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Good luck starting grad school. And let me know if they were right about the weather, I'm hoping to try for one of UW's PhD programs, although it's a few years off for me.

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Talk to Frieda and Mortimer Snerd.

23. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    I bought Star Trek cookie cutters and Serial Experiments: Lain (blu-ray/dvd collection) for my sister. I bought a Doctor Who Fob Watch and Super Scribblenauts for my girlfriend, a Roku for my mom (paid half with my sister), and one of those "inversion table" things for my dad (also paid half with my sis). I received Dragonheart (blu-ray), the Lord of the Rings blu-ray extended collection, Monty Python's Holy Grail blu-ray, Prometheus collector's edition blu-ray, Far Cry 3, Lego Lord of the Rings, and Halo 4. I also got a little Ned Stark figure along with an 11th Doctor sonic screwdriver key chain.

24. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It looks like my current Cable/Internet provider is providing me nothing but a lump of coal.

Fluk Verizon.

25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh jeez, that did actually come out this week, huh? I'm sorry you had to experience that.