main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Skywalker-Jade Revival Society Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luke_Mara_Index, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Ouch. That does suck. Sometimes the best way to back things up is copy and paste into an email and send it to yourself.

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I usually put everything on a sky drive so I can access the story from my laptop PC or my home MAC but since the PC was in the shop I didn't do that. I have carbonate and an external hard drive MAC Time Machine on top of that, but it didn't occur to me that I couldn't access the saved files with a PC. My NaNo is on a thumb drive, on two computers, on two different versions of carbonate and the time machine, so when I pick up my fixed PC this weekend I will have that at least. So for now on everything goes on the thumb drive. I never thought both computers would go down days apart.

3. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, when the crash one after the other it is annoying.

4. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    First: [:D] for broken-down computer and lost works of writing.

Second: I'll offer you a microsoft word program which was far, far too slow in closing documents until I did a google search with a dumb question and found out the answer was "turn off the Outlook Journaling function" and not "oh, it's dying a slow death, get a new one." (The second response was what basically what my mother said when I explained the problem.)

Third: ...the thing Luke was using to test people for Force Sensitivity before he and Leia discovered the equivalent of a doctor hitting someone on the knee. Did that thing have paddles or something? Because I remember it having paddles. Must go look that up...

5. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah. I remember the force paddle tester thing. It was in one of the early post-TTT bantam books. I want to say the first JAT but don't quote me on that.

6. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
  7. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    My PC had to have a complete system restore. My Mac probably has a bad hard drive, so I will be busy trying to put my programs back on my computers.:_| computers hate me. I blame Callista.[face_not_talking]

Okay, it only took 2 hours to convince my antivirus software to reactivate my subscription. Now I am doing a complete carbonite back up. I am not a very happy camper. Then I get to do this all over again when my other computer comes back from the shop.

8. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I lost four chapters of fic once when I had a thumb drive go bad. Since then, I write directly in Google docs (now drive).

9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Wow. I've never used google docs/drive before, but that's kinda handy, especially if you work on stories on more than one computer. For me, I pretty much have my laptop with me places where I write (basically home and at school... the only places I GO these days - or so it feels like), but sometimes in the summer I will go camping or on vacation and I'll just have my iPad and keyboard with me and google drive might come in handy then. I have a wedding/family reunion to go to this summer and that will DEFINITELY be used then.

10. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Callie is in your interwebz. [face_devil] If you start posting fics that have Luke and Callista and no twist ending, we'll know something is up. :eek:

But I'm sorry about your computer. I hope you can get it all back up and running!

I, too, highly rec Google Docs. Nanci brought me into that fold, too.

As for holiday fic, you'll notice I don't have any. :( I just can't get the fic right. I'll try to get it written before New Year's or else I'll have a great jump on NEXT year's holiday season. ;)

11. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That was on my list to Santa...a Ginchy-Shine Holiday fic. Unfortunately I think that earned me a place on the Naughty List. :(

Is it just me or does this guy look like a buff Skywalker? Dye his hair red and call him Ben.
    [​IMG]

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, he could definitely pass as Ben or Cade Skywalker. But that butt-chin is too defined for me... ick.

I would have loved a shine fic for Christmas :(

I am going to try to do a Ben Skywalker diary that starts right after LOTF, but I really don't want to read Revelation again, so it might be interesting. Wookieepedia here I come.

Also, I got way too many gift cards for the book store here, so I'm interested in getting ERC. Does anyone have it? How useful is it for fic writing?

13. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    Hey guys! This is my first post here so I'm not entirely sure if this is where I'm supposed to be posting. But anyway I'm a huge fan of Luke Skywalker/Mara-Jade but I really feel like most of the people in this thread have gone over this territory rather thoroughly and done it much better than I have. That being said would stories focused on their offspring Ben Skywalker and his adventures be welcome for discussion and/or in the index here or would that be in a different thread?

Thanks!

14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I know! I have never seen a cleft chin that pronounced.[face_hypnotized]

@Briannakin-- I look forward to reading your Ben diary.

I do have the ERC. I mainly bought it for the pretty pictures...except the drawing on page 320[face_sick] It is Luke welcoming Callista aboard the ship with a very irritated looking Mara Jade standing in the background!:p It is nice because it has the timeline of books and most are books I have never heard of before and I probably would not of found on Wookieepedia. But with that said...I wookieepedia is easier to use than ERC.

We sometimes talk about Ben, but you might want to check out the http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-ben-skywalker-appreciation-party.16327674/page-49]Ben[/url] Skywalker thread over in the Expanded Universe Community. This area is pretty much populated with Fanfic writers and readers and our conversations usually are fanfic based...mainly...we have a tendency of getting off the subject. Do you write fanfiction?

15. windu4

May 15, 2008
    Oh yeah! I do. That's what I was asking because I'm currently working on fanfiction centered around Ben Skywalker with cameos from Luke/Mara but I didn't see a thread about him or the "new" generation of Jedi.

16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I don't think there is an active Ben Skywalker thread in this forum. There was this thread: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/legacy-child-the-new-ben-skywalker-discussion-and-index-thread-new-discussion-topic-and-updates.28033630/page-4]Ben[/url] Skywalker but as I said it is not active. Maybe Briannakin can answer your question. She knows more about the rules of this thread than I do.

That Ben Skywalker thread is locked. You can contact a mod like mavjade and ask her if it can be unlocked or ask if you can create a Ben Skywalker thread within the CHARACTERS area of Fanfiction. Or maybe she knows of a thread that I couldn't find.

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Welcome windu4 ! We do discuss Ben here from time to time (we try not to discuss specific stories as per the rules). And I do accept Ben stories for the index as long as Luke and Mara are important roles in the story (though the index is kinda gibbled right now because of the truncating issue and broken links so I'm not adding new stories until the issues are fixed). If you want to discuss Ben, feel free to do so here - we really don't get nit picky here and we get off the topic of Luke and Mara a lot. But check out the other suggestions Jedi_lover gave too.

Also, check out the Creche Thread for newcomers. (I am looking for a padawan and I love Ben).

Jedi_Lover - I heard the ERC is worth it just for the artwork alone (and from what I have seen, I believe it). Is it more in-depth than Wookieepedia? I am going to get it - for the artwork and because I've given up trying to read ALL the EU books that came before AND keep up with the new ones (I still haven't read Apocalypse or finished Mercy Kill:( )

18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I don't think ERC is in more depth, but it probably is more accurate.

I think Apocalypse is one of my favorite books of the series. If I am not mistaken, that is the book with the Void Jumpers and the scene with Jag and the baby Barabels. I liked seeing military guys that aren't Jedi helping save the galaxy. I think the later books were too Jedi intensive. Also picturing Jag in his pressed uniform with a baby barabel on his lap as it chewed a Sith finger was cute in a gross sorta way.

Mercy Kill was like a star Wars mission impossible. That type of book should dominate because it doesn't require Sith Lords or uber-villians or a 14 book series. It is stand alone.

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Okay. Thanks. I've already ordered ERC and got 35% off because I ordered it online. I saved close to $15. Pretty pictures here I come

Apocalypse was the last book in the FOTJ series. I know how it ends and I currently don't have the motivation to slog through the retaking of the Jedi temple stuff. Fotj had potential when it started with Outcast, but after the sith and Abeloth got introduced, I lost all interest in it really. I read it for the Luke and Ben stuff now and I figure since I read the other 8 books, I might as well finish it.

I am loving Mercy Kill but I never seem to remember it when I have the time to sit down and read. Mercy Kill is actually part of the x-wing series (now 10 books long), but, yeah, it can easily be a stand-alone, which is awesome. And I do like how different it is, like the other x-wing books - no Jedi order, no Sith, no super complicated plot lines, but it still feels like star wars.

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sorry. Double post!

21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I tried to read the X-Wing series but found them boring. But this book is a little different. I don't think you even see an X-Wing or a dog fight until near the end of the novel. Like I said it was more like Mission Impossible. There is an entire SW universe with spies, soldiers, pilots, criminals, Jedi, civilians, police and every other job imaginable...I would like to see more of that universe. And what happened to Karrde? Was he even in the FOTJ books? I can't remember. I want to see more of my favorite smuggler. I mean he captured a Jedi Master...how cool is that?

22. windu4

May 15, 2008
    The last I heard of Talon Kaarde he was in NJO. That being said I thought he silently faded away from action due to age. From what I read he seemed around Lando's age (if not older) and Lando is already pushing 80. Did he show up in Mercy Kill? I don't want to read it until I catch up with the Wraith portion of the X-Wing series.

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, I love the spy-like feel of Mercy Kill. I was going to do a Star Wars spy fic, but it quickly became a plot for an original story I may write after I complete my novella.

Personally, I loved the X-wing books. Starfighters of Adumar is the crowning jewel of the EU. Luke only makes a cameo in the entire 10 books, but they're great adventure stories and the characters are lovable even if they only play secondary roles in the rest of the EU.

I think Karrde was mentioned in FOTJ, but I don't think he ever appeared. He wasn't in LOTF either, was he? We need more Karrde. A stand alone Karrde novel would be cool, as would a Winter stand alone novel.

Edit (I didn't see windu's post). Lando was in LOTF and FOTJ briefly, but if Karrde was older than Lando, it would make sense that he would fade out from the action.

24. windu4

May 15, 2008
    Wait, I think Kaarde was hired to do some type of Sabaac game to distract Daala in some convoluted plot to create a coup. Actually, I think Booster was in charge of that but wasn't Kaarde mentioned?

I haven't read Scoundrels yet nor has it been released at my local book store (not even sure if it's out yet) but I figured Kaarde would be mentioned in it, wouldn't it? I actually would love a Winter stand alone novel more than a Kaarde stand alone novel. I always figured the latter character was too mysterious for us to know his background but if Zahn was down for it I'd check it out for sure.

I think there are still X-Wing novels near from where I live and I get paid tomorrow...so that might be my weekend.

25. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Karrde had a cameo in Outcast, mentioned as being present during Luke's send-off. (Thank you for remembering him, Aaron Allston.) Since then, nada. It makes me angry, because Karrde took on a fatherly role to Mara. You'd think that Karrde would be the type of person to stay close with her family after her death. (Was he even at her funeral? He should have given her eulogy. Or Mirax.)

That type of thing annoys me about the EU in general. So many forgotten relationships and familial ties. Like, for example, what was Winter's reaction to Anakin's, and then Jacen's, death? She helped raise those children. Why was the Fel family not present at their son's wedding? Why have Wedge and his sister never been reunited?

So many lost opportunities.

/rant off

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.