main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The AT-AT in ROTJ.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by King Terak, Dec 27, 2012.

1. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    I just got done watching ROTJ and though to myself, where was there room to drop that down?. Also was there a point in having it there when it looked like it couldn't move around the terrain all that well?.

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Eh. It's huge, you could probably just run over trees :p And Endor is actually fairly open-I don't think it'd have much more trouble in a forest than a modern tank does.

3. King Terak

Nov 22, 2012
    I thought about replacing AT-ST's with them, but wouldn't their range be limited?.

4. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    They probably use the AT-STs for roving patrols, and the AT-ATs (guessing there's more than one, given that the Empire usually overcompensates at everything) are for making sure nobody attacks the base itself.

darthbarracuda likes this.
  5. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    probably smashes trees

Lady_Misty likes this.
  6. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The AT-AT was a popular vehicle/toy. I thought it was a nice cameo return. It also gave us an opportunity to see the inside of the body.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Why didn't they use the AT-AT when the Ewoks' started causing havoc is what I wanna know!

"Sir! The rebels and teddy bears are really messing up an entire legion of our best troops."
    "Sigh. Fine. I'll put my tea down, somebody hand me the targeting scanner. Okay. There we are. Fire, maximum power..... okay, done. Back to my tea."

8. Kurnous Ntol

Kurnous Ntol Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2012
    The AT-AT was surely guarding the main entrance, which I presume was much more deforested than the back entrance where the battle was taking place. Also, even if the AT-AT could just force his way through the trees as people have mentioned (although I personally doubt it), it would eventually reach a limit where a lot of trees would be piled in front of it, making it impossible for it to move any further unless its driver wanted to risk the AT-AT falling like the AT-ST we see collapsing when the ewoks drop the trees underneath its legs.

9. King Terak

Nov 22, 2012

Also. Even if the AT-AT was guarding the base. With the lack of maneuverability, all someone had to do was sneak into the base from behind the Walker.

10. Frankakin skywalker

Frankakin skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 13, 2012
    They can't just put in ESB. There was no AT-AT's in ANH because they didn't think of it yet. Then, when they were making ESB, they must of needed more ground vehicles. So they made the AT-AT and AT-ST. They couldn't just leave it behind in the making of ROTJ.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I always wondered where the AT-AT was in ROTJ during the battle. That would have turned the course of the battle alright

clone3131 likes this.
  12. Trask Ulgo

Trask Ulgo Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 8, 2012
    I'm glad they didn't show AT-ATs in the battle of Endor. Seeing an ewok take down one of them would just make me shudder.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Good point. Just like Serpenterra being destroyed quite easily in Forever Red in Power Rangers Wild Force when it was quite the threat in Mighty Morphing Power Rangers.

14. Frankakin skywalker

Dec 13, 2012
    You got that right.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. King Terak

Nov 22, 2012
    I have to disagree.
    The AT-ST had better maneuverability, to an extent, than the AT-AT.
    The purpose of the AT-AT in TESB, was to destroy the shield generator and any Rebels that opposed them, it was a mobile battle tank that destroyed. Whereas the AT-ST was a scout vehicle, (as it's name states), that's use on Endor was probably to protect the Empire's shield generator for the Death Star II. If AT-AT's were used in the Endor battle and miraculously not at a disadvantage because of that terrain, then it would either have been a sitting duck to the Rebels, or accidently destroyed or damaged the base with it's fire power.

Lady_Misty and DarthBoba like this.
  16. FryingpoorGreedo

FryingpoorGreedo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2012
    What we learned from this? Step one in an invasion, kill the teddy bears.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    As in mow down their Ewok Village habitat with the freakin' AT-AT! Otherwise, it's basically just sitting there as basically a ferry to the shuttlepad! See, this argument goes in circles. Count me firmly in the "Use the AT-AT, things get way easier" camp.

18. FryingpoorGreedo

Dec 22, 2012
    opera
    I'm in the "fully operational Death Star kills ewoks" camp

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    They couldn't have blown up the sanctuary moon, it had the shield generator. Unless the death star had a "lightly fry a small continent" setting but the thing was made to blow up planets, I don't think it really had less than that.

20. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Palpatine's order (in the ROTJ novel) was that if the shield generator went down, Jerrjerrod was to destroy the sanctuary moon.

21. King Terak

Nov 22, 2012
    Before the battle,The Empire never considered Ewoks a threat, due to their inability to get past stone age technology. That got the Empire somewhere....

22. FryingpoorGreedo

Dec 22, 2012
    When your crack squad is stormtroopers.......

IndyFan89 likes this.
  23. King Terak

Nov 22, 2012
    Weren't those suppose to be a legion of Sidious' "best troops", or did he misread the script? :p.

FryingpoorGreedo likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the EU the first Death Star had a "scorch a city or two" power level for low powered blasts. And the 2nd Death Star's blasts are used against ships.

25. Frankakin skywalker

Dec 13, 2012
    Come on! Imperial Pilots aren't that dumb.