main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Do you want Prequel characters to appear?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by CaptainRegor, Nov 22, 2012.

1. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I think thats Lucas fault. He forgot to realise that tragic hero's have to be hero's first, so instead of the great and heroic Anakin Skywalker mentioned in the OT we instead got a whiney pyscho who kills children, not good. TBH if Disney decided to reboot the PT I would not mind.

2. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Please don't do this. The PT may have its flaws, but a re-boot of films less than 10 years old (ROTS) would over-complicate the canon, and it would prevent the Star Wars franchise from moving beyond I-VI and growing as a franchise.

3. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    You wouldnt have to do it straight away as the sequels are gonna come first but I think it could be done if only so it makes sense with the OT.

4. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Spot on,me or no one I know had any sympathy for him in the way he was portrayed. He was totally unlike the description's given in the OT.

5. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Spot on! I meant doing justice to Anakin and his story, years down the line. Lucas blew it big time. For years we shuddered at the thought of a good man and great hero going bad and in the end it was a huge and I mean HUGE le tdown. We ended up with a whining little sniviler, who got everything he deserved and who did not deserve to be redeemed. Which was ultimately the real tragedy.

MrFantastic74 and fett 4 like this.
  6. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    What if it's a really simple use of Force Ghosts? Others have mentioned a potential Jedi Council with former members appearing. What if we went that direction but only catch a glimpse of this Force Ghost Jedi Council? Viewers get a quick glimpse and go "oh, that was..." then Luke leaves the room. Perhaps we see Obi-Wan or Anakin or Yoda (or all three) in a somewhat larger Force Ghost advisory role a la Obi-Wan OT?

7. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Only if its relevant to the story.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    MACE WINDU AS HALF-CYBORG AGED YET PRESERVED WITH CYBERNETIC LIMBS AND A LAZER EYE AND LIGHTSABERS FOR ARMS AND ALL FULL OF "THIS PARTY'S OVER &%$^&@#@$%$!!"

I don't care if it doesn't make sense. Somebody will write a novel about it or whatever. Windu = too badass to let simply being dismembered, electrocuted and thrown thousands of stories out of the sky get in his way.

9. Joe

Dec 25, 2012
    May I ask why Anakin had to be this great, heroic character? Anakin is, at his core, mentally unstable, and this brings about his downfall. He starts life as a slave, is ripped from his mother at age 9, and is placed into a society of monks who despise him. Anakin is given the title of a messiah, something which stressed him further. All of this resulted in Anakin becoming a young man with severe attachment issues, something which ultimately brings about his fall to the dark side.

Is this the 'Anakin is a hero who is seduced to the dark side' story we all expected? No. George went another route with Anakin's character - he didn't try to tell the 'hero Anakin' story. So no, we didn't get robbed of Anakin's tale in the PT. We got a different tale of Anakin Skywalker.

Just to clarify, this doesn't mean I don't believe Anakin didn't have heroic qualities. I just feel the focus of the PT was not on these qualities, but on Anakin's psyche. All of my above statements should be taken in the context of the way Anakin was depicted in the PT.

windu4 likes this.
  10. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, to be fair, Anakin wasn't ripped from his mother, he CHOSE to leave. Also, I never saw any evidence that the Jedi despised him. Just saying.

Echo-07 likes this.
  11. SoWizard

SoWizard Jedi Master star 1

Nov 20, 2012
    I can't say he wasn't a hero. Anakin as a child already had heroic qualities. He was selfless, always dreaming of becoming a Jedi and coming back to free the slaves. He put his life on the line to get his friends off the planet. He knew how to love, showed compassion towards many people (his mother, padme, obi wan, qui gon, he was even nice to JAR JAR for God sakes. lol). He even ended up destroying a droid control ship.

I really just think the Jedi weren't as he expected, which is why his deciscions were rash and didn't necessarily fit the dogma of the Jedi. He never got to go back and free slaves; he was a different kind of hero and struggled in the same way Luke did, always focusing on the future not where he was or what he was doing. The ultimate downfall of Anakin Skywalker and a significant weakness that he shared with his son.

Anakin was a good man.

12. Ferus Olin

Ferus Olin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2012
    depends but I think a cameo would be nice for Jar Jar but don't put established characters in the story unless it's important. One character that I think should be in the sequel trilogy is Mas Amedda

13. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Agreed! Some may have feared him, his potential, but there's zero evidence people and/or Jedi disliked him.

14. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Yeah so like we were saying, his PT dictation is completely different from the description's of him in the OT. Thanks for helping us illustrate that though.

Joe Antonetti and fett 4 like this.
  15. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

Agreed also if your writing "The Tragedy of Darth Vader and his redemption" and all 6 films are one long movie then first he has to be good otherwise its not tragic and there is nothing to redeem, and second contradicting what is already set up back story does not make it one long movie its 2 sepertate movies in 2 different directions.
    Lets face it if I was Darth Vader I would not be telling Luke that "Obi-wan once thought as you do" based on there PT relationship.

The way things are you may as well have this for RTJ instead

16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    It was destroyed by accident and 9yr olds are not men.

17. Joe

Dec 25, 2012
    But George did show hero Anakin - in Episode I. TPM Anakin was just a little too young, and he feels disconnected from AOTC/ROTS Anakin. They feel like two different characters. If TPM Anakin was played by Hayden, the 'hero' Anakin would feel like the same character as in the rest of the prequels, and we would have gotten "The Tragedy of Darth Vader".

18. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Jar Jar....

19. SoWizard

SoWizard Jedi Master star 1

Nov 20, 2012
    You left out my second bit. Of course this would look silly if I talked about Anakin as a child then said he was "a good man". Even if it was on accident, the kid still had the gusto to turn on the ship to take out the droidekas and save his friends.

I'm saying even as an adult, Anakin cared about people and cared about doing what was right. I don't get why people love Luke but hate Anakin when they have so many similariaties. Both whine and complain all the time. Both have focused on the future when they should have focused on the present. Both have jumped the gun when they weren't ready and have gotten their arm sliced off. Both weren't played by neccesarily amazing actors.

Luke is just what happens when he is dealt with in the right way, he also didn't have an entire Jedi Order telling him what to do the entire time. There is no evidence to support that Anakin didn't have a good disposition before his transformation into Darth Vader, sounds like PT hate to me.

20. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Apart from killing all those sandpeople children, and then shifting the blame onto obi-wan. Yeah, he was a real stand out guy.

Honestly his downfall could have been handled so much better, they had the backdrop of a war for gods sake. War screws up good people on a regular basis, almost everyone knows someone who has suffered PTSD that usually follows battle. It was the most relatable thing they could have used to explain his downfall, they could have easily had Anakin do some terrible things in name of ending the war sooner. Like the hiroshima\nagasaki bombs, it ended the war and saved american lives, but on the flip side it killed over 200,000 japanese. You can argue greater good till the cows come home, but a lot of the men involved with those bombs suffered terrible guilt until they died.

Instead Anakin kills a bunch of kids on the flimsy promise of cheating death, because he had a nightmare that his wife might die. It was so freakin tenuous it was almost invisible.

21. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Yeah, and his "slave" life didn't seem so bad. He had a cozy home with his mommy, and he got to build things in his ample free time.

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Was it? Honestly, I find the current version much more relatable. Someone who tries to do good but can't accept the loss of people he loves and is influenced by people who want to exploit him.

anakinfansince1983 and kainee like this.
  23. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    But he wasn't promised anything more than a maybe. It's not enough to go on to warrant the slaughter of children.

24. kainee

kainee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2012
    But it was more of a reassurance than "just accept that you'll lose them and learn to deal with it" answer that Anakin got from Yoda. People seem to forget that despite his perception of Palpatine as a friend/confidante/mentor that when Anakin initially received his vision of Padme dying in childbirth, the first person he ran to was Yoda.

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    "To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together, I know we can discover the secret."

But the movie did show that it wasn't just that that made him do it. It was his search for powers (to have the ability to save Padmé) and the belief that the Jedi didn't trust him and tried to overthrough the Republic (as he perceived in Mace Windu's actions and words).