main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT does a c-9979 have air in it?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthbarracuda, Dec 26, 2012.

1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    When Obi wan and qui gon went on the trade fed. c-9979 transports down to Naboo, how did they breathe? Was there oxygen inside the transports? Cause I was reading in the complete cross sections book and it said that is was fully operated by droids. So there's no reason for air. There needs to be gravity and stuff but no air, let alone breathable oxygen...

Did they use the oxygen breather masks that they used when going to the underwater Gungan city?

2. Scryer

Scryer Jedi Padawan

Dec 26, 2012
    They probably used their Re-Breathers (the device that they used under water) which would supply them with--I assume--about an hour of oxygen. But that being said, if the vessel is operated completely by droids, there should be no need for pressurizing the vessel while it is docked in the Trade Federation Battleship. If that is the case then, how did Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon not die from the vacuum of space?? On second thought, since the vessel was stationed on the Trade Federation ship, oxygen filled the whole ship and when the doors closed it sealed the air from escaping when it left into space which, I'd imagine, is why the ship didn't depressurize...

3. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    Well, the droids still have to work so they can't have a vacuum, but there's the Neimoidians and the organic Trade Feds people on the ships too...so they probably just made the whole thing have air in it so that if necessary, an organic could go to anywhere on the control ship. Plus, the droids talk to each other. A medium is needed for sound to travel so why not just make it oxygen?

What I don't understand is why didn't the droids just send messages to each other through transmissions and not vocally...

4. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    It's for the convenience of the builders and owners.

Geonosians can't understand binary signals any better than Neimodians.

5. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I don't think the Nemodians would waste money on pressurising something which didn't need to be pressurized.

6. Scryer

Scryer Jedi Padawan

Dec 26, 2012
    I was under the impression that the Federation landing craft was 100% controlled by the control ship in orbit so there is no need for Neimoidians. Hence the reason why the droids were activated from the bridge of the control ship in TPM. But they still would need pressurization and oxygen for communications and mobility.

I suppose the reasoning behind not having internal messaging is price. The Trade Federation wanted cheap droids that can be bought in mass quantities for as little as possible. I imagine that a transmitter and receiver built into each droid, alone, wouldn't be too bad but over hundreds of thousands of droid, the price is significant. I would venture to guess the Super Battle Droids have some sort of non-verbal communication capabilities.

7. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    So then back to the topic, is there air in the transports?

8. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Yes
    [​IMG]

9. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    It says there's a Pressure Charging Turbine Atmosphere Intake, but there's no atmosphere in space...
    And I got the Complete Cross Sections book for Christmas which is why I'm asking this.

10. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Don't see why there wouldn't be-I'm sure the Trade Federation isn't the only buyer, and from what we've seen, most militaries in SW don't use droids.

darthbarracuda likes this.
  11. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    awesome

12. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    It's from the older version of the cross sections book. You'll find the same image but with more info in the newer book.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    They probably have air (in some compartment) just so the Trade Federation can flip em and/or sell to other buyers. The Neumodians don't need it for the droids but you never know who is gonna want one that would end up having organics in it. It actually makes it less valuable if they don't include oxygen.

darthbarracuda likes this.