main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Do you want Prequel characters to appear?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by CaptainRegor, Nov 22, 2012.

1. DarthSpaced

DarthSpaced Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2012
    Yeah, and his "slave" life didn't seem so bad. He had a cozy home with his mommy, and he got to build things in his ample free time.

Must be a blast to have an alien tell you and your MOTHER what to do, when to do it, and when you can go to bed, etc. yeah, pretty cozy life that whiny brat's got.

DarthBoba likes this.
  2. kainee

kainee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2012
    In support of DarthSpaced's point, doesn't anyone realize how twisted it is that Anakin was basically encouraged to lie from a young age just to preserve whatever little he had of his own? He had to rely on subterfuge just to hide C-3PO, a gift he made for his mother, and his podracer simply because he was a slave and had made them using parts he'd scrounged up (if he wasn't a slave, I can imagine that he would have simply saved up for the parts to make them). It makes it far more logical that the lies and secrecy continued to dominate his life later on.

Also, even if Watto didn't seem overly abusive, his "cozy" home might simply be because he had an useful skillset that earned his owner money and keeping him uncomfortable would have been completely counterproductive to the uses Watto needed Anakin put to, especially since beating or starving the boy simply means he wouldn't be able to do work and abusing his mother would create resentment that would likely cause Anakin to knowingly do shoddy work. It was more cost effective for Watto to provide the comfort level that Anakin and his mother had but in the end, it was provided to keep him as a slave and nothing can be cosmetically applied to make that fact of life more palatable.

3. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    If it works then sure

4. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I agree. I think people often minimize the effects that a life as a slave could have on Anakin. No, he's not the worst off person in the galaxy, but it's far from an ideal situation. We see even in TPM that Anakin feels the effects of dehumanization very keenly ("I'm a person and my name is Anakin!"). The aforementioned line also refers back to the fact that Watto never calls Anakin by his name, but instead addresses him as "boy." There's also the fact that Anakin is well aware that he and his mother can be separated and there is nothing he can do about it. This again is implied during his departure, such as when he tells C3PO that he'll make sure his mother doesn't sell him. As to Watto not being overall abusive -- he's hardly the worst, but he definitely isn't ideal. Credit goes to HevyDevy, but:

[​IMG]

Anakin definitely seems intimidated here.

Psychologically, that's going to leave a lot of problems that Luke and Leia (who grew up in more stable homes) would have avoided.

Plus, in regards to the attack on the Jedi, I often wonder why people dismiss the fact that Anakin is also rationalizing his actions as being better for the galaxy. He repeatedly references this again and again:

"I'm going there to end this war."

"I have brought peace to the Republic."

"I have brought peace, justice, freedom, and security to my new Empire."

Padmé's life is the main emotional motivating factor, but the genius of Palpatine is that he provides Anakin with a framework in which to rationalize his atrocities and make them bearable. Indeed, Palpatine references this repeatedly:

"Wipe out Viceroy Gunray and the other Separatist leaders. Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy, and we shall have peace."

"Now Lord Vader, go and bring peace to the Empire."

"You have restored peace and justice to the galaxy."

There's very much an element of the end justifying the means in Anakin's thinking. Because he's been fighting in the war for years and it's clear he wants to bring it to an end, as we see in his comments to Palpatine at the opera and Obi-Wan after the briefing. And by (temporarily) aligning himself with Palpatine, he can get what he most desires (the power to save his wife) and do so in a manner that justifies his selfishness -- he can end the war and create an Empire, which he believes will be better for the people of the galaxy. He's well aware that it's wrong to kill the Jedi children, but if he can justify it to himself as being for the greater good -- as being necessary to end the war and (overall) save more lives by bringing peace -- then it's much easier to carry such orders out.

5. DarthSpaced

DarthSpaced Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2012
    All this wonderful child psychology notwithstanding, I wouldn't mind seeing 'ol man Watto back, Could be like the Emperor(to Luke) "Yo Skywalker, Your father was my slave and according to slave rules I inherit the offspring. You, like your father, are now mine." Now fetch me another change of Depends

SoWizard likes this.
  6. SoWizard

SoWizard Jedi Master star 1

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh yes let's pretend that we've seen a tusken raider grow up to be anything less than a monster. He should have kept the sandpeople children and raise them as his own children. Their poor futures ahead of them and all that =((

No worse than Luke bulls-eyeing womp rats in his T-16 back home if ya ask me. I joke, I joke.

7. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    They're natives who are violently reacting against the encroaching galactic society.
    It's little different from the killing of American Indians by the first settlers. They were commonly viewed as animals by them too.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  8. SoWizard

Nov 20, 2012
    Well those smelly tulips killed the wrong person's mom and got what was coming to them. Perhaps I can be a little biased, I happen to find Tusken Raiders extremely rarrgh terrifying, right up their with Predators.

Also, I admit Anakin could have been potrayed as a better good guy, but I still think his disposition and intentions were always good and it isn't going too far for Obi-Wan to call him a good man and friend.

Let's watch the cursing. -Darth Boba

anakinfansince1983 and kainee like this.
  9. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Someone just really hates Tusken Riaders, don't they? :p

SoWizard likes this.
  10. SoWizard

Nov 20, 2012
    You're God damn right I do. I practice Obi-Wan's Krayt dragon call every day. It only goes so far because then they'll be back and in greater numbers.....

Anyways as far as prequel characters (Not characters that appeared in both PT and OT) appearing go:

Mace Windu- No, even if he did survive getting his hand lopped off, burnt to a freaking crisp by force lightning while getting launched out of a window into the depths of Courascant. He'd still be waaay too old by the time of the ST. And don't give me any of the "force" prolonged his life []ohh cursing![/b], he isn't a Dunedain Ranger.

Yes it'd be cool if Mace and Lando got to chill, and I had a pretty sick story arc in my head about him actually being the villian of the ST because it was said that Mace stayed on the edge between the light and the dark side when he fought and maybe that whole situation with Palpy kinda ruined him and pushed him closer to the dark side, he already kind of tossed the Jedi way out of the window (haha pun intended) when he went for the kill on a defenseless Sidious. Damn, I could even see him being an anti-hero of some sorts.

****, shut up SoWizard, you're getting side tracked. NO Mace Windu.

Jar Jar- Nope. Though I don't hate him as much as or say he ruined Star Wars for me like so many others. They killed off the only decent Gunguan in Clone Wars which was Captain Tarpals. For the sake of everyone, keep Jar Jar and Gunguans out of it. Though I wouldn't mind his son, Pickles Pickles. I joke!

Any other Jedi/Senators from the prequels- They are either dead or just too old/unimportant to the story to play a significant part.

Anybody else- In the wise words of Master Yoda. "Too old." In the wise words of SoWizard. "Too unimportant."

So yeah, no one should be in it, unless I'm missing something or someone that could just be amazing and the story could not continue without... *cough* Mace Windu as villian/anti hero *cough*.... Shut up, SoWizard, no that's stupid!

We don't allow those words here

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We definitely needed Dave's grouchy-cat meme to distract from all the "It's perfectly OK to be legally considered someone else's property as long as that someone else doesn't beat the crap out of you every second" posts--Funny, I don't recall a distinction in my reading of the debates on the US 13th Amendment between slave owners who treated their slaves decently and those who didn't--as I recall, the consensus was that slavery was wrong regardless. The "It's OK to allow humanoids to get away with kidnapping an innocent woman and torturing her slowly to death as long as those humanoids thought the moisture farmers were in their space" posts are amusing as well.

Should prequel characters appear? No. Either their fates are known, as in they died and therefore should not be brought back, or they have gotten too old and/or served their purpose in the story.

Darth Chiznuk , DarthBoba and kainee like this.
  13. Darthsmuse

Darthsmuse Jedi Master star 1

Nov 27, 2004
    Should prequel characters appear? No. Either their fates are known, as in they died and therefore should not be brought back, or they have gotten too old and/or served their purpose in the story.[/quote]

Given that George's plot outlines for episodes 1 to 9 centre around the Skywalker family then Anakin has to be a gIven. As other posters have said some acknowledgment of Padme is long overdue.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have no problem with "acknowledgment," in fact I think you're right about that, it would be weird if they weren't mentioned. But acknowledgment is different from appearance.

15. Darthsmuse

Nov 27, 2004
    To clarify appearance of Anakin and acknowledgement of Padme

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd rather he not even appear, although I could tolerate a Force-ghost if the context were right. Ditto with Ewan's Obi-Wan.

17. Darthsmuse

Nov 27, 2004
    I quite agree in terms of trilogy context they should be force ghosts unless the script includes a means by which they revert to flesh again as happened in another Disney film franchise.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I hope they avoid that like the plague, for any character, not just prequel characters.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They should bring back Episode III Anakin and Darth Vader at the same time, so they can have an epic lightsaber duel. You know, to completely **** up the canon. Luke then can become so confused that his head explodes and he dies.

20. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

FWIW it's was a plot point in ROTJ's older scripts-Obi-Wan came back, and Yoda did also.

21. SoWizard

Nov 20, 2012
    I apologize for the cursing everyone.

22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Wasn't the original 7,8,9 script, Luke finding his sister with his Force Ghost Father.

23. JevanShevu

JevanShevu Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2009
    I would love to see Captain Typho return.

24. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Ah, I guess you read SuperShadow's updated screenplay?

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes it's very good. There is a part where Captain Kirk and Chewie team up and use He-Man's sword to defeat Thrawn.