main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC OTC birth control pills?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue_Ten, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    so the american college of obstetrics and gynecologists and even arch ****heel governor bobby jindal have this month been saying "hey, let's make this shizz as widely available as condoms, eh?"

lets hear from the petty, bible-thumping, stockholm syndrome-besotted reactionaries and one-step-forward-two-steps-back, slow-train, hand-wringing liberals of the jcc on this issue

2. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I'm against it not because I dislike the idea of easy to get birth control, but because BC pills are a lot different than something simple like condoms. That crap messes with your system, you need a prescription for a reason.

3. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    i pop 'em like tic-tacs so whatever

Ender_Sai likes this.
  4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    ur doin it rong

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    > one-step-forward-two-steps-back, slow-train, hand-wringing liberals of the jcc on this issue

I love it when progressives get in fights with liberals.

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  6. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
  7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    There are plenty of medications and substances that mess with your system that you don't need a prescription for.Personally I don't really see much reason why you should need a prescription for birth control. In general I think we require prescriptions for way too many things in the US. Many drugs are much more easily obtainable in Europe and Canada.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I think BC should be a mandatory additive to things like Four Loko, Spam, grape flavored blunt wraps and Chef Boyardee raviolis.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Have you ever taken birth control? It really does mess with your system.

I think I agree with SLG, actually. There are better ways to make BC more accessible without making it otc.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, with birth control specifically, you still need a prescription in Canada and most European countries. (yes, I know that's an OTC advocacy group site)

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Plus, depending on the severity of the side effects, being under a doctor's care and having to get them via prescription means that at least the doctor can either adjust the dose, or switch to something else that might work better/cause less side effects.

Perhaps one thing that would help make BC more accessible would be a rule prohibiting pharmacies (unless their run by a church etc.,) from refusing to fill a prescritpion for birth control.

darthhelinith likes this.
  12. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I agree with harps, those pills suck and I had a doctor refuse to give them too me once because I told her I smoked cigars occasionally.

13. Space_Caboose

Space_Caboose Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 14, 2009
    now I'm thinking about sex

14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    That's why they shouldn't be OTC!

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    > lets hear from the petty, bible-thumping, stockholm syndrome-besotted reactionaries and one-step-forward-two-steps-back, slow-train, hand-wringing liberals of the jcc on this issue

So the only bible thumper in the thread is for otc and all the progressives aren't. You get an F, rogue. Sorry.

Ender_Sai and Point Given like this.
  16. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    lol what "progressives" are you referring to and if they existed what makes you think i hold kin with them? as i see it i get near full marks for the hand wringing liberals showing up like clockwork

17. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Women who know about what birth control does to their bodies = one step forward two steps back liberals.

You heard it here first.

18. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I don't see why they need to be prescription either. Sure, it messes with your system but so does alcohol. Yes, it means that women would need to be careful in the selection of their birth control and would have to read and follow the instructions on the bottle* but how is that any different than if it were prescribed? If the doctor denies you a prescription, does anyone seriously think there isn't a doctor out there (probably online) who wouldn't willingly prescribe it anyway? Without any examination or discussion at all? The only thing forcing a prescription practically accomplishes is a forced (possibly uncomfortable and unwanted) conversation with a doctor.

Unless I'm missing something and there's documented cases of improperly prescribed birth control pills killing people (like alcohol does every single day), I'd rather trust women to make their own choices. I imagine if you're concerned, you'll make the decision to go see a doctor.

*I know it doesn't come in a bottle. :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    *psst*: its u

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    When I was in college, we could go to the infirmary, get an exam and a prescription from a doctor there, and get the pills for $2 a pack. Easy, straightforward and inexpensive.

I think the issue with requiring a prescription for the Pill is the high cost of the doctor's visit, assuming there is no local chapter of Planned Parenthood or similar organization. I have used a couple of types of hormonal birth control and it can mess up your system but as Souderwan said, so can alcohol, and any number of OTC meds. (I once swallowed a Sudafed with coffee and got a raging earful from a friend who is a nurse.). The ACOG endorsing the idea of OTC birth control leads me to believe that it is probably no less medically safe than any other OTC med out there.

That said, my biggest concern is accessibility, not making the Pill OTC in and of itself.

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Needed more Robocop.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  22. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    I take them, under prescription, in the UK.
    I get heart palpitations, so the doctor put me on a single hormone brand.

Defiantly agree with keeping them under prescription, as there are certain health risks with the different types. Make them free to purchase though or very cheap.
    Anyone who wants to go on them should definitely see a doctor first though. The ones I'm on there is a very small risk of increased likelihood of breast cancer and there are other possible side effects too.

23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    THE INTERNET SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR HAS SPOKEN

24. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    are you done? cuz im done

25. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006

Rogue_Ten likes this.