main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Relatable Characters in the PT

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Legacy Jedi Endordude, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Ferus Olin

Ferus Olin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2012
    the prequels made me relate to Obi-Wan much better than in the originals tbh.

Eryndil and kainee like this.
  2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    ?

I don't see how flying the SW equivalent of a hot rod to smuggle drugs with a 7' tall bruiser is at all "out there".

My brother (who'd be the muscle) and I could drive a suped up muscle car down to Tennessee, pick up some moonshine and drive it back in 12 hours and we'd basically be doing the same thing.

Yeah, I called that out the first time I saw it, when I was about four years old. But then I really enjoyed the Battle of Yavin and shut up about it.

Of course Luke goes on to do great things, he's the hero. If he stayed a regular guy, he would have stayed on Tatooine and farmed moisture for the rest of his life. Wouldn't that have been fun to watch?

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Exactly, I'm not arguing that. The same applies to Anakin. He was the one who was making real world comparisons and ignoring "some" details.

4. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    Exactly - it's entirely subjective and there will never be a consensus on this point because people are different! I'm interested in what you said there because I am assuming that most people prefer characters who are (in some way) similar to them. I know my own preference for Obi-Wan stems from this.

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Most definitely, and while I share many personality traits with Anakin, they are traits I'm not fond of - in myself or him.

I also share many traits with Obi-Wan, traits that are more or less "neutral" although they do frustrate many - sarcastic humor, dry humor, see the long term goals sometimes at the expense of the short (i.e. the forest more than the trees), don't wear my heart on my sleeve (though my temper is like Anakin's - easily stirred and easily visible), am not considered a "warm and fuzzy" person like Qui-Gon or Anakin.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm a smartass and my temper is about as short as the hilt on Yoda's saber--the latter is not an aspect of my personality that I'm fond of and for that reason, I understand why Anakin struggled, and I can relate to him better than Obi-Wan, who--in my mind--probably never had to deal with the guilt that follows a verbal "shoot first and ask questions later" (much less a physical one such as the Tusken slaughter).

I definitely appreciate Obi-Wan's sarcasm though.

7. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    All excellent qualities IMHO ;) Some people are Anakins, some are Obi-Wans (and some may be more like Yoda!) - all different but equally worthwhile. 'Tis the season of goodwill etc :D

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    anakinfansince1983: I knew there was a reason (besides your thoughtful and insightful responses) I liked you - we're both smartasses! (Which is one reason I like Han, too, although he is not my fav - my first fave was Luke before Obi-Wan pushed him into second.)

9. kenobifan1999

kenobifan1999 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    whoever says the PT doesnt have relatable characters is out of their mind.

case in point... jar jar binks. i know many people relatable to him and I am one of them.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Indeed, he's an overlooked relatable character. Ahmed explains, on "The Beginning" documentary, one of the many reasons why some people can relate to him.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I can actually relate to Jar Jar a lot. I forgot about him

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Jar-Jar is the good-natured well-intentioned character who gets played.

Applies to a lot of PT characters, but it's exaggerated to a factor of 10 with him.

13. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I agree, there are days i'm a Jar Jar and just make a fool of myself
    There are days I am Anakin and complain about life (though that's not all anakin does)
    There are days I am like Padme, where things are just out of my control
    There are days I am QuiGon, and find myself in the role of a teacher
    There are days I'm like Count Dooku, where I am being used by others to acheive their own goals
    And then there are those days i am Darth Sideous, where i want UNLIMITED POWER!! (because the stupid power went out again!)