main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sword of the Jedi by Christie Golden

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I agree. I don't care about the Jaina having kids part but I really don't care if EP VII paves over all of that continuity. I can understand folks who expressly love the canon aspect of the books. I don't care so long as the EU doesn't really contradict itself.

I have a bad feeling that we might not ever see SOTJ released and that's bumming me out.

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I must admit if they do go the way of the reboot, then I hope we don't see this series.

Because what I'd HATE to happen is that they start the series, but then never finish it. That would be much, much, much worse.

And, sadly, it's what I could very easily see happening, with Book 1 released, but then all publishing switching to Episode VII before they managed to finish the trilogy.

3. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I had a feeling too SOTJ won't come out after VII got released, but I hope it will.

4. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    If that's what happens then it's basically confirmation that LFL didn't give Del Rey any heads up whatsoever about what they were planning even a month before the announcement. Not even a "by the way, don't announce anything big at Celebration this year because, well, we have plans..."

Which would be...an interesting choice.

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I need to recheck Annhilation, but it definitely had Crucible at 45 ABY but not SotJ on the timeline.

6. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Crucible due out next Summer,

SotJ due out 2014

according to their Wook entries.

7. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
  8. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
  9. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    No need to yell. I didn't doubt you. I just think that's a little distant for a SW series is all. Kenobi was announced after SOTJ and it's coming out in a year.

10. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    They also seem to want to squeeze all three books into the same year, meaning that all three would be written in advance. Remember how Coruscant Nights got changed from one per year to all three sometime in the future. I guess they'd announce it earlier than usual to show people that the timeline isn't supposed to end with Crucible, and that there is plans to continue with the non-big-three-cast, making Jaina one of the principal characters. Well, that was the plan this summer, anyway.

I'd be surprised if they didn't put out Crucible and SotJ. They have to make the most out of their license; and they still have the built-in audience of EU fans who want to follow that timeframe. And even if places like this send signals along the lines of "I'll never buy a book again because Ep7 will not line up with EU", you'll have enough people not caring about that. Just like the big three timeline always sold better than the fan-beloved projects, even once LOTF and FOTJ took all the flak they could get in here.

The only thing that might harm the books might be if Lucasfilm suggests to DR to abandon current EU early and rather work on tie-in products to hype up the movie. Seeing how the game and TCW contracts turned out, I'd still assume that there's no need for DR to kick out established projects to get everything done properly. And come 2015 they'll have a new contract anyway. Wrapping up EU with Crucible and SotJ (as a setup for Legacy connections) is actually a great way to wrap everything up; maybe the best contract end since TUF featured an ending that could but did not mean the end of SW literature.

11. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Just wanted you to know where the info came from, Mani - not trying to yell! :cool:

12. Allana_Rey

Sep 2, 2012
    There's been zero news on this, I hope it's still happening.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    There's never news on SW books, and it's been that way for quite a while. ;) For the longest time all we knew about Scourge was that Jeff Grubb was writing a book and that there'd be Hutts in it.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    To be honest, my 'I've been cancelled' senses have been ringing for some time on this trilogy.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It was just announced this summer! Unless when you say for some time, you mean since D-Day, even though I think any such concerns are unwarranted.

Or maybe you're being sarcastic...

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I imagine I'm overreacting. I tend to get very jumpy at the end of a series. I all but failed an exam when LotF ended, for example.

I am a strong fan of the post-Endor EU. If it's no progressing forward then my love of SW wanes somewhat.

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    :-B Ahem: there's been proven to be a direct correlation between the amount of excitement initiated by the announcement of a new book or series (and sometimes not even "new" -- cases in point, Legacy and KOTOR), and its probability of cancellation. All we need to do is measure the amount of excitement forum-goers feel about this series.

Are we exited, people? If so, time to start those Del Rey Sucks petitions.

fistofan1, Zorrixor and Sinrebirth like this.
  18. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    If this trilogy is all hardcover, I'll be the first one to sign that petition.

RC-1991 and Team Padme like this.
  19. Allana_Rey

Sep 2, 2012
    ^^^
    Agreed, I really hope it's paperback.

20. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    My expectations are mixed really, as Del Rey paid for their licence contract, so they'll still want to get their money's worth unless there's an earlier break clause that Disney want to utilise, and sudden u-turns have all sorts of issues, like the delay in getting it written and published, and the possible quality issue if rushed, both of which could hurt sales, which the publisher obviously won't want. So... it's complicated.

In any case, like I think I said somewhere, I just hope they don't start it with no definitive commitment to finish it.

And if they did cancel it, I hope they replace it with a Post-ST series that ALSO has a female protagonist, as it would be quite the insult to have taken this long to give Jaina a series to replace it with another generic male protagonist.

21. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    Jaina never was...(hand waves)

22. Allana_Rey

Sep 2, 2012
    I really want to hear news about this. Was it this quiet waiting for Dark Nest Trilogy?

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Well there was the Clone Wars series to tide us over until DNT. But seriously I want info on this so bad.

Team Padme likes this.
  24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I've got a sneaky suspicion Denning has been anxiously awaiting the first legit spoiler for Episode 7 so he has something to anchor his plot to.

Point Given likes this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Wouldn't surprise me about Denning

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.