main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Republic vs Separatists

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Deputy Rick Grimes, Nov 19, 2012.

?

Republic vs Separatists

1. Republic

46.7%
  2. Separatist

53.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Oh wait... If we are doing an arm-wrestling contest, I am still in... and I am all up for a stare contest too... lol
    I got confused for a sec... :D
    I thought we were clashing Dragonballs Z style... BUT THE CONTEST IS STILL ON, YAAAALLL!

2. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Dan you dont have to arm wrestle we have the balrog of LACWAC to fight for us :p

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    lol arm wrestling contest [face_laugh]

4. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Sadly, the CIS is winning by two votes. It's time to rally, fellow members of the Republic!

5. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    You killed it, bro. We should just flip a coin. For the Republic!

6. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    I love the Balrog, but I do not want to make the guy busy.

The CIS is winning! Rightfully so...

That seems like the only way to settle this... I am sure Sidious did the same thing when he was planning in The Works.

For the CIS!!!!

7. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Neutrals!

8. DavidIX

DavidIX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    I was going to vote Republic until I read this...Nicely done.

9. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Not seeing how any of that makes the Separatists good. They do all kinds of heinous things. The faults of the Republic were amplified by Palpatine. He's essentially smearing dirt into a wound. Nobody ever said republics are utopias. That's the point of "checks and balances" in governments like the U.S.' It assumes that certain groups WILL try to overstep their authority and need to be balanced to foster cooperation. Doesn't really work when you give overwhelming power to an executive officer like Palpatine, because then the moral or immoral use/abuse of that power is only as good as the person that wields it, and Palpatine was anything but.

Lucas talks about the films being lessons to young people. The big lessons I see him advocating are pretty much representation of the concept that: "Democracy is truly the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried," also big corporations' involvement in politics seems to be the root of all evils. With the CIS, corporations and government are more-or-less synonymous.

The Rebel Alliance aimed to topple the Empire to re-establish a Republic, with loyalists like Bail and Mon Mothma who completely opposed the deterioration of the Republic in the first place. The Republic was flawed, but it was clearly way more desirable than a dictatorship. Whereas the Confederacy is a military dictatorship more or less, with some individuals allowed to play senate and live in their own little bubble. Though I still don't quite understand how the politicians have their head in the sand so much that they can't really see that they're not actually controlling anything. Could a politician even travel CIS space as a Republic senator like Padme can in the Republic? Or do the droids insist that it's too dangerous and feed them some crap as to why they can't travel so as to keep all the secret war crimes they are committing from being discovered?

Democracy definitely has its faults, and things like "squabbling delegates" and bureaucratic procedures are pretty much a fact of any democracy. Palpatine knew how to aggravate those weaknesses and then set himself up as the savior to step in and fix them.

Someone like Padme can fight for the ideals of a political body that had existed in its current form for 1,000 years. The Separatist senators instead just gave up, and started a new government. The Republic was once a respectable government then turned into a sham by Palpatine's manipulation of the commerce guilds. The CIS on the other hand was a sham from its very conception though was put under the guise of being respectable. Though to everyone but the CIS members with their heads in the sand, that guise was painfully transparent.

10. kenobifan1999

kenobifan1999 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    the seperatists werent good... they were slavers, murderers, tried to start world wide plagues, they kill the weak (innocent neutral life forms, targeting medical bases filled with all wounded clones etc.)

i mean, yeah i voted for the side of the separatists....but that doesnt mean im going to lie to myself and say that they are the good side... i mean come on.

TaradosGon likes this.
  11. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    The original question was simply whom do you root for more? I've got nothing against people that say Separatists. Nothing wrong with enjoying the villains. Palpatine is like the greatest Star Wars character IMO. I look forward to his scenes. Doesn't mean I have to try and put some positive spin on him and try to convince myself that he's a good guy. When it comes to stories with heroes/villains, half of it is in the villain. All the best heroes had equally, if not more interesting villains IMO. Can't really think of a story in which I liked the heroes but thought the villains sucked, or vice versa.

Seerow, kenobifan1999 and QuangoFett like this.
  12. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Sometimes its fun to root for the villains. I like the Decepticons better.

13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Auto Bots are cooler

14. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Some would say that being forced to stay in a political union that you no longer agree to be a part of is a form of slavery.

Murderers who went after the weak? You mean, unlike the clones that wiped out anything that moved in the Jedi Temple, younglings included?

The difference between the two is mostly that the Republic is slicker and more underhanded about the bad things they do.

15. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    No, like the Separatists, The Decepticons are better!

Super_Battle_Droid likes this.
  16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    we get it, you like the bad guys more than the good guys :p

Autobots Rule :p

17. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    I do...

Separatists and Decepticons FOREVER!!!

Super_Battle_Droid likes this.
  18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Republic / Empire and Autobots Forever.......Thank you :p

19. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Governments, particularly democracies, cannot work if everyone that disagrees has the right to secede. If Candidate A wins the election for presidency and all those that support Candidate B cry about it and want to secede with Candidate B as their president, there is no justification for that and they should not be allowed to do that. It undermines the entire concept of democracy if representatives decide on a course of action and those that disagree can just cry and leave and then raise armies of their own.

On the topic of villains. If I think of Star Wars, and heroes vs. villains,

Star Wars has heroes like: Yoda, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Lando, Wedge, Chewie, Han Solo
    Star Wars has equally cool villains like: Darth Vader, Palpatine, Stormtroopers, Darth Maul, Boba Fett, Jabba the Hutt.

With Spider-Man, he has villains like: Doc Octopus, Green Goblin, Venom, Hobgoblin, Carnage, Lizard

Batman has villains like: Joker, Penguin, Clayface, Bane, Mr. Freeze, Solomon Grundy, The Riddler.

The X-Men have heroes like: Wolverine, Cyclops, Iceman, Gambit, Rogue, Storm, Jean Grey
    They have villains like: Magneto, Apocalypse, Sabretooth, Juggernaut, Mystique

etc.

Each has villains that IMO are just as interesting/charismatic as the heroes. Which makes the franchises better for it.

Compared to something like Ghost Rider. He has such classic villains like... um... [face_dunno]

Now when it comes to TCW, I think the CIS is kind of lame :p. Dooku is the lamest of the Sith IMO and tactical droids and villains-of-the-week don't make up for it. Asajj was cool, but she's no longer with them, and Grievous should be sold for scrap metal.

The OT had more iconic heavy weights on each side. Not so much TCW.

The only hero that needs no villains is Booster Gold. He can carry things by himself.

Seerow likes this.
  20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    That makes it about even, since TCW has heroes like Anakin, Padme, Ahsoka ie lame heroes.

21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Need to get some better villains with some better rhymes, d'oh! That's what makes Maul and Death Watch cool. Villains with motives. Obi-wan is a cool hero, IMO.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    neither. Don't trust either side.

23. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Good guys - meh! :D

The Separatists need to be more like the way the Batman Villains were done in the animated show - all unique from each other and had different motives.

The OT had more iconic heavy weights on each side. The OT had only Vader and Sidious - THAT IS IT. The OT sucks in terms of villains.
    Majority of the "villains" are just there as backdrop and the Stormtroopers are as threatining as a Pit droid.[face_laugh]
    So far the show has proven that the CIS is a more diverse and interesting enemy for the heroes of SW.

All Separatist villains have motives, but Lucas is too much of a hack for money to explore them more.
    He knows that Mando and Maul toys sell now and that is why they are spotlighted.
    Darn it, fanboys!

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    The good guys usually win :p

25. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    You know that that means nothing to me... [face_dancing]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.