main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit medstar (why did they think phow ji was a murderer?)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jacktherack, Dec 28, 2012.

1. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    i know he was a jerk but killing enemies in a war is not murder. i realize later on they realized he sacrificed himself for good but why the heck did they think killing enemy combatants in war was evil?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Partly because he so vastly outclasses them that they are, compared to him- helpless. He has the power to easily render them unconscious so they can be taken prisoner- but does not do so. He kills, not because it is militarily necessary, but to feed his own desires- the pleasure he takes in killing.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. jacktherack

Mar 19, 2008
    they are not helpless he has no weapons and they all have blasters. isn't it more of a risk of getting killed if you are worried about weather they survive? besides if every enemy was taken prisoner instead of killed they wouldn't have the resources to take care of them.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh he has weapons, 2 hands, 2 legs, 2 feet, 2 elbows, head - no shortage of weaponry and far more skill at using all of them.

Rilwen_Shadowflame likes this.
  5. jacktherack

Mar 19, 2008
    then rambo shouldn't have killed all those vietcong when he was a green beret? that was murder too?

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That's where you're going with this? Bad '80s action movies?

If you're wanting a SW story where the attitude to war is: "YAY! It's great!" Then you are going to be severely disappointed.

Sounds like you actually want more Klingon-type characters, but rarely are the Klingons shown as being right in Trek, it's more: Yeah, they're gits but they're our gits so we'll put up with them!

Rilwen_Shadowflame likes this.
  7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    By bad, you mean good, right?

jacktherack, dudes be hating on Phow Ji's mad kung fu skills.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    They're an acquired taste!

If we're talking in kung fu terms, then Phow Ji is Hwang Jang Lee and not Jet Li!

9. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    That was stupid.
    It was war, you're job is to kill people.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's a great line from Starship Troopers (the book) on this subject:

"War is not violence and killing, pure and simple; war is controlled violence, for a purpose. The purpose of war is to support your government's decisions by force. The purpose is never to kill the enemy just to be killing him ... but to make him do what you want him to do. Not killing ... but controlled and purposeful violence. But it's not your business or mine to decide the purpose of the control. It's never a soldier's business to decide when or where or how - or why - he fights; that belongs to the statesmen and the generals. The statesmen decide why and how much; the generals take it from there and tell us where and when and how. We supply the violence; other people - 'older and wiser heads', as they say, supply the control."

11. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    If the purpose of war and soldiers was solely killing people we wouldn't have arguments about whether US won Vietnam, and the Somme would have been known as one of the greatest battles in history instead of, well, the frickin' Somme.

I haven't read MedStar but looking at the guy's wiki page he seems like he kills for the sake of feeding his own ego and not out of sense of duty or necessity. What strategic purpose could killing random three mercs possibly have? Or kicking the crap out of a Jedi kid? Was it just dumb luck that the guys he got killed picking a fight with we're going to assassinate somebody?

I'm not really sure of the context of any of these actions, but he definitely seems like the kind of person who is more of a problem to his own side than the enemy, it's not a combat instructors job to fight anyway.

Rilwen_Shadowflame and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Phow Ji is gonna jump out of the pages of Medstar and karate chop the hell out of his doubters in this thread.

13. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    War is not just about killing people, or there wouldn't be the term 'war crimes.'

And Phow Ji... he went out to pick fights, not for any sense of tactical battles, but for the pleasure of it. He took trophies. In essence, he treated Drongar as his own private killing-ground, regardless of the war going on around him.

And he did not so much 'sacrifice himself for good' as go berserk, taking the maximum number of people with him when he deided to die, at least partly because he was unwilling to live with knowing Barriss had healed him. It had some benefit for the Republic, but that wasn't really very relevant to his aim.

Phow Ji was one sick puppy. That's the point.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Tell me you're not in the armed forces.

Gorefiend, JackG, RC-1991 and 2 others like this.
  15. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    The term "war crimes" means that your side lost the war and you are captured. If you do the exact same things and your side wins the war, you are a "war hero". (Pretty much).

And "controlled violence" is all well and good, but if you're in action you are not going to try and control how you kill people, you are going to do it as quickly, and violently as possible.
    (i would imagine)

16. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    Nope.[face_plain] This may come as an astonishing surprise to you, but sometimes military organisations put their own people on trial for committing horrific acts. Fancy that! It's almost like they want to be seen to have standards or something!

I mean, gosh! Could it be that war is not a video game in which you get more points based upon the number of enemies killed and/or the gruesomely inventive ways you do so? Unthinkable!

Jedi Ben and Point Given like this.
  17. jacktherack

Mar 19, 2008
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  18. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    "horrific acts" are one thing, and not what i was referring to at all.
    My memory is a bit hazy, but If i recall correctly, all Phow Ji did was set a sort of trap for some mercenaries and kill them, albeit while putting on a bit of a show. Of course it was not necessary for him to make a spectacle out of it, but was it an "horrific act"? i doubt it.

BTW, the definition of War Crime can be a little hazy, being as how it depends greatly on interpretation of the justification or necessity of the act.
    Often any act against a single civilian would be considered a war crime, yet the pilots who bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki killed millions of innocent people (obviously following orders though) and they were never tried as war criminals. But had they been on the losing side of WWII i guarantee you they would have been convicted, most likely executed publicly and probably be seen as evil greater than Hitler.