main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ITT...I'm Batman (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Import_Jedi, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    And penguins. Don't forget the penguins.

The more people that think it, the more true it becomes. Kind of like when everyone thought the world was flat.

If there's one thing TDKR really needed, it was replacing Zimmer with Prince.

If there's another thing, it was the Bat getting shot down in its first appearance by a guy with a handgun.

Come to think of it, instead of trapping the cops underground, why not forget about their existence altogether?

Because that would have been so much better.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Arawn have you to date indicated what it is you think is good about Rises?

Criticism of the criticism is not actually stating this; nor are using useless and vague terms like "It was epic" or "the scale".

Clearly, from your signature, you liked it yet whenever someone says "this is a point I thought was no good in Rises", you respond with "that's so wrong".

I checked some of the criticisms around the web, from mainstream to geek critics, and those who found fault generally found fault for the same reasons people here did. So I am reasonably confident the niggling issues I found are actual issues in the mind of a portion of the audience.

Similarly, there's critics who loved it.

So, with that in mind, can you please define what makes us wrong in our critique of Rises and why we should reconsider.

If you've already posted it, feel free to quote that post.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It needed to replace Zimmer with somebody. That score was horrid.

DarthBoba likes this.
  4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I so draw the line on Batman Returns. No way will it ever get a free pass from me over any of the Nolan films.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Batman Returns was even better than Burton's first Batman.

6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Inconceivable!

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Batman Returns had a climax involving penguins with missles attached to their backs, and Batman had to go after each one of them with his Batmobile. All of my appreciation for the movie dried up and withered away after watching that.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Watch Keaton's face after he avoids them. He's literally thinking, "did that just happen?!"

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Keaton's facial expressions towards the end of the movie were so funny. He was like "I think I've had enough of this ****."

Darth_Invidious and Ender_Sai like this.
  10. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    That was amusing, laughed a few times myself. But wouldn't think of it as a serious look at problems with the movie, almost all the problems pointed out could be answered by simply thinking them through. I mean Alfred knowing everything about Bane was explained as Alfred has been doing research on him. Blake knowing where to find Gordon, Blake likely knows the city very well and whose to say Blake didn't stop at other spots before finding Gordon? And Bruce receiving story information from Ras... that turned out wrong. Bruce got information from the inmates and his hallucination was him wrongly piecing it together. All in all most of these are just nitpicks for the sake of nitpicks. Like complaining about where David got the ladder in Prometheus.

Still would prefer Dark Knight Rises over the Burton films.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm assuming you weren't caught up in the 89 craze?

12. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Nope, didn't see them till quite later. Watching them now... eh, they just aren't my cup of tea. I can see why some people may like them but I prefer the Nolan movies. Of course I prefer the Animated Series over all of them anyways.

13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Now there's something I can agree with!

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    So why was Catwoman so worried that Bane and friends were going to kill her that she tries to escape and lands in prison, yet when she breaks out of prison nobody even thinks to go after her and she's not worried anymore? Did Bane forget?

15. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Bane probably doesn't care. She can't escape the city, she'll die in the blast eventually. Bane doesn't need to waste resources hunting her down.

16. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    "I had to find a way to get them to stop trying to kill me."

She wasn't worried about Bane killing her at that point, she just wanted out. Running, yes, but not running for her life.
    OR you could argue that you have no justification for saying she's not worried anymore. For all we know, she's in hiding in the two scenes we see with her before she meets Wayne again.
    In other words, if you're making me defend this film, you're nitpicking.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree with those who say that the Animated Series and The Dark Knight Trilogy are both very much superior to the earlier Batman films. I disliked those so much that I initially put off watching Batman Begins because I didn't realize how much different and better it actually was. That said, The Dark Knight Trilogy kind of ends with a bit of a whimper in Rises. After BB and TDK it did have big shoes to fill, and I still think part of the blame falls on the villian. I understand trying to go full circle back to the League of Shadows, but Bane is just so unimpressive after the Joker.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The animated series is just so much wonderful stuff in one place. Heart of Ice? Amazing.

Plus it's dirt cheap on the iTunes store - if you haven't seen any, do.

I think anyone who was around for the Batmania of the late 80's will have a special place for the Burton film. You couldn't get away from seeing Batman logos everywhere. And the film didn't disappoint.

19. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Agreed, I got all four seasons on dvd this Christmas. And the animated movie Mask of the Phantasm not only tops the Burton and Nolan films in my opinion, it also has the best Batman theme music ever.

This is what your supposed to hear when someone says Batman

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I still think I'd take TDK over the Animated Series, but it's probably the only one of them all. And Mask of the Phantasm is just fantastic.

Bacon164 likes this.
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I don't know if anyone played the Arkham games, but part of their "immersion" factor was Conroy as the Batman, and Hamill as the Joker.

Is there anyone here who doesn't think Mark Hamill was the best Joker?

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Eh, I think I'd have to give it to Ledger. Hamill was great though.

Order66Survivor and Bacon164 like this.
  23. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    It's difficult to compare a performance in a 2 hour film to nearly 20 years as a voice actor. Both have their pros and cons. What I will say is that the two of them are definitely the top two and it will be very hard for someone else to top them. And if we were to compare strictly live action Joker, then Ledger wins.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    To rephrase what I said before, but using different words: Prince sucks. :p

You are a portion of the audience all by yourself. Therefore, this is an obvious and needless statement ( even aside from the fact that it's the same old argumentum ad populum ).

More proof that TDKR is in fact a Star Wars prequel. Where have we seen this kind of "thinking" before? And why does it stubbornly persist, despite the fact that its purveyors in the case of the prequels were proven wrong?

25. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Not quite. The Joker has always been impeccably cast, whether it be the indelible prankster Romero, the impishly sadistic Nicholson, the progressively sinister Hamill or the unfathomably demonic Ledger.

Only Count Dracula boasts more intriguing iterations.