main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPG [d20 to D6!] Episode IV: An Old Hope!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Feb 10, 2011.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    SO.

After many, many, many years playing just D&D and similar fantasy games (excluding a short M&M stint), my friends have suddenly decided they want to play Star Wars again. I'm not complaining!

I'm kind of sick of the combat heavy and miniature oriented nature of D&D, so I've decided to let my d20 books rest and to return to the system we used and loved back in the early 90s: the West End Games edition. Boy, were my books dusty. We've talked about it for a bit, and we're going to be using 1st Edition rules with a few 2nd Edition bits added in for good measure (mainly the Force rules and the Character Point system).

I'm currently writing a Dark Times campaign and trying to convert all the d20 stats I need, monstly from The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide. I've started gathering era-appropriate templates too, as my friends prefer the classic template system and some of the people who are going to play my new campaign are playing PnP RPGs for the first time. I've already converted some of the templates from the books I had (Minor Jedi has become Fugitive Padawan, New Republic Commando has become Deserting Clone Commando, SpecForce Saboteur has become Kota's Militiaman, and so on).

Have any of you done this, gone back from d20/Saga to D6? Any advice? Any material I should consider buying/downloading?

2. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Check the forums at The Rancor Pit. That site deals with converting d20 and Saga to d6. They've done conversions for all the Saga sourcebooks and have the conversions in pdf format. Here's the link: The Rancor Pit.

3. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    d6 is so loose compared to crunchy d20, I wouldnt do mathy conversions and just take the concepts from d20 and rebuild with d6

Heard good stuff about D6 Space, and I think there's an OpenD6

4. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Don't sweat the small stuff. Be prepared to wing it. Build your adventures as "more of what you'd call guidelines than actual rules" or plots. Have a bunch of minor stuff handy for spur of the momment side treks.
    Templates... Not a big deal.
    Yes, use the 2nd ed Force, ship modification, and character-point rules.
    We've had a couple house-rules threads you might see if you can track down...

5. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    The starship modification rules, really? I like the upgrade caps and the many small systems but I rather liked having the characters use skill points to upgrade their equipment.

And I'm not worried about making adventures. I've always been a laissez faire GM. Writing SWD6 adventures again feels like coming back home.

6. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    There is something to be said for the character investing skillpoints into improving the ship, but what if the smuggler has the ship and the brash-pilot is flying it? I suppose you could let both of them invest in the ship... What if the pilot/owner gets killed? Does the party get to keep the points of the old character when a completely new character joins?
    If it's a cash investment instead, it works perfectly for the party to spend credits upgrading the ship when they get the chance (rarely), and if a character dies, the party isn't killed, and the system isn't broken if a different replacement character type comes in.

7. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I don't see any difference with letting them keep the money said character had invested in the ship. The skill/character points represent the time and work he spent on the ship, and that doesn't go away just because he died! I'll think of it, though, and run it by my group.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    One year later...

So, as it looks this is never going to happen with my regular gaming group, I've reworked this campaign to play online. And guess what? Already overflowing with interested players. smh

I've been looking to virtual tabletops. So far, MapTool looks like the best possible choice, and I've already found a couple of Star Wars D6 frameworks that I can easily edit and adapt. Anyone has any experience with it or any other VT?

Oh, and I'm finally going with Koohi's suggestion about ship modification.

9. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Good to hear.
    My gaming group is totally invested in D&D over StarWars, so if I want to run, I have to run D&D. Oh well--no biggie. Just means I won't get to use a lot of the plot hooks I invested into the party over the last few years.
    But many of them are in the "Adventure Ideas Go Here" thread, so feel free to borrow/steal.

10. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Thanks, I will take a look.

The campaign's core is made out of eight adventures I've been retooling over and over for years while directing D&D. Needless to say, I'm dying to direct them.

11. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Sadly, it looks like many of the old threads have been purged. All that great information: Lost to the ether. And I had some great post in there...

12. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Anyone tried constructing/using a Wayback Machine? It might get some of it back...?

13. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
  14. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    We haven't purged anything.
    http://boards.theforce.net/forums/games-rpg-miniatures.10196/

15. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
  16. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I can understand cleaning up the boards (There's Games: Old republic and then Games/Minis,card,rpg, etc which seems clunky) But the logic of the current form seems strange and counter intuitive to me. (kinda like having JCC with sub-menus JCC and JCC Community, and all the sub-boards under that. Why not have just JCC and then the sub-board?)
    So the topics with the most recent posts are here, and the old ones are now consolidated under video games?

17. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    When we moved the boards we consolidated the Video Games, RPG and Miniatures and Card Games into one forum. The VG forum was the busiest by far so we moved active threads from the other two into it and deactivated and closed the other forums. If you would like to up an old thread let me know and I will move it for you.

The same thing happened with JCC, Arena, Amph and Census but since those forums were all active we started with a brand new forum and moved the active threads into the new board.

The Community category contains the Community board, the Community Rules board and the archives of the now-closed forums.