main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion J.J. Abrams Turns Down VII

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by BantuWind, Dec 26, 2012.

1. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    Ah, the 'ol reject the hot chick before she rejects you ploy.

I like how the article states: JJ ABRAMS HAS TURNED DOWN EPISODE VII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As if he had been made an offer. Please.

Any directors that are being seriously considered and who have been contacted by Lucasfilm are not going to say anything to the press about it either way.

Han Shot First likes this.
  2. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't understand the negative reactions. Abrams picked up the responsibility for the Trek re-launch, and he is duty bound to finish it, before moving on to something else. That seems like an honorable decision on his part. Also, he never said that he was approached, only that he was one of the rumored names that were being considered (which is true). I really liked the new Trek, and even though the plot was a bit weak, it did a great job of re-introducing the characters, and had some great moments in it. It also had a very sleek look that perfectly fits what Starfleet and the Federation would be like. I am thinking that the next Trek will be much better, now that basic world and characters have been established. Someone said the new Trek copied A New Hope? The stories of the movies were way different...

3. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    JJ Abrams is excessively OVER-rated. What has he directed that is great? Other than LOST (which he co-created then bailed on) he hasn't done much.

I'm pretty sure he didn't direct every epissode of Alias, which was an okay show. Star Trek and Mission Impossible??? Hardly great.

4. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    I think we'll live.

Echo-07 likes this.
  5. kainee

kainee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2012
    One thing mention of Abrams does bring up for me is the use of ARG in promoting movies, which is easily done with Abrams' stuff since there's stuff he likes to recycle throughout all of his work. Would a Star Wars ARG be cool or doable at all since it's set in a galaxy far far away?

6. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    He basically, Star Warsed his Star Trek (OT) style anyway.

Echo-07 likes this.
  7. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    He lacks class completely, with his public display of patronising language. Reading between the lines it is way too big a project for him and his sphincter was going like a rabbit's nose at the thought of taking it on.

Echo-07 likes this.
  8. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jinn-N-Tonic Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2006
    I for one am glad that hack won't ruin Star Wars as he did Star Trek. Knowing Abrams, he'd reboot the OT with a time traveling sith lord that goes back in time and kills Owen, Beru and Obiwan during Luke's early childhood forcing Luke to find a new family with Hutt's crime syndicate delaying his Jedi training and joining the Rebellion resulting in the Death Star destroying Yavin. Then reboot Captain Yoda played by Bruce Greenwood would come out exile giving a cocky, reckless 16 year old Luke pep talk about joining the rebels and take the challenge of becoming a Jedi like his father. When all is said and done, Luke becomes a Jedi and destroys the Death Star and gets promoted to Rebel general at the age of 16 and prepares to go confront reboot Vader for the reboot sequel.

Keep the no-talent hack Abrams away from Star Wars.

9. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    JJ's universe...

Princess Leia

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

C3PO and r2d2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  10. kainee

kainee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2012
    You've gotten it wrong-- there needs to be 500% more lens flare to make it accurate to J.J. Abrams' vision.

Echo-07 and Yodahasgreenfeet like this.
  11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Fanboys are too damn funny [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

12. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    This. It really bothered me that he tried to make a Star Trek action flick and was seemingly more interested in unsubtle, fast-moving effects than respecting the spirit of the franchise. (Let's have the viewscreen show the captain's vitals in real time and flash the word "TERMINATED" when he dies in case the audience isn't smart enough to get it otherwise!)

His style would be a bit more compatible with Star Wars, but still probably not what a lot of us longtime fans want to see.

13. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I haven't expected any of these well-known superstar directors to helm these movies, or "these things".
    Even though I liked it, I haven't felt much of a desire to watch that Star Trek movie again, but then I don't care about watching most newer action movies more than once. I really liked Super 8 at the time, but just can't make myself watch it again.
    J.J. Abrams isn't as overrated as Joss Whedon and Peter Jackson. I only say Peter Jackson is overrated because people seem to expect him to make STAR WARS into Lord of the Rings. The style of those movies should be nowhere near STAR WARS. Even without Lost writers and producers Damon Lindeloff and Carlton Cuse, Abrams has managed to do some interesting things and not seem much like a director-for-hire called in to save franchises. He has passions for both Star Trek and apparently Mission: Impossible, but a new SW movie doesn't need too many preconceived notions and baggage. It has that just from its own history.

Yodahasgreenfeet and Echo-07 like this.
  14. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Amen!

The gratuitous use of lens flares is a Hollywood tradition. Spielberg does it to death as well.

15. Boba_Fat83

Boba_Fat83 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 22, 2004
    That's...good news