main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Official Scoundrels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Star Wars
    Scoundrels
    By Timothy Zahn
    January 1, 2013
    Hardcover (464 pages)
    [​IMG]

Han Solo should be basking in his moment of glory. After all, the cocky smuggler and captain of the Millennium Falcon just played a key role in the daring raid that destroyed the Death Star and landed the first serious blow to the Empire in its war against the Rebel Alliance. But after losing the reward his heroics earned him, Han’s got nothing to celebrate. Especially since he’s deep in debt to the ruthless crime lord Jabba the Hutt. There’s a bounty on Han’s head—and if he can’t cough up the credits, he’ll surely pay with his hide. The only thing that can save him is a king’s ransom. Or maybe a gangster’s fortune? That’s what a mysterious stranger is offering in exchange for Han’s less-than-legal help with a riskier-than-usual caper. The payoff will be more than enough for Han to settle up with Jabba—and ensure he never has to haggle with the Hutts again.

All he has to do is infiltrate the ultra-fortified stronghold of a Black Sun crime syndicate underboss and crack the galaxy’s most notoriously impregnable safe. It sounds like a job for miracle workers . . . or madmen. So Han assembles a gallery of rogues who are a little of both—including his indispensable sidekick Chewbacca and the cunning Lando Calrissian. If anyone can dodge, deceive, and defeat heavily armed thugs, killer droids, and Imperial agents alike—and pull off the heist of the century—it’s Solo’s scoundrels. But will their crime really pay, or will it cost them the ultimate price?

Original thread here.

2. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Here's hoping this turns out quite good. The ebook sort of prequel was decent and the previews seem quite interesting. Most SW things I'm pessimistic about but Zahn's Han Solo and Lando Calrissian have been consistently good over the years so I'm looking forward to this.

3. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

Just bought it at my local Wal-Mart. Is this thing even out yet?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    So, the big question: having recently finished Lost Tribe of the Sith, do I read this or Annihilation? :p

5. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I do want to check this one out. I've always liked how Zahn handles Lando.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Halfway through now. Plenty of fun so far.

7. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I might read this eventually.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Same, I'm gonna wait for the paperback.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I can't wait to read this. I'm nervous about Han and Lando meeting since I'm fine with them not meeting after Rebel Dawn until Empire Strikes Back.

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  10. Joe

Dec 25, 2012
    On chapter IV. Love it. Has this Rachele character appeared before?

11. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    You should read Annihilation first so you can most likely be let down, and then read Scoundrels to be brought back up with a good story and a good grasp of continuity. ;)

12. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Got to admit I see that a possible continuity issue. Then again, the incident Lando referred to in ESB might happen in this novel. In which case, no continuity issue.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Well Lando thought Han betrayed him in Rebel Dawn and Yavin Vasiliska and by the sounds of it was still a bit irritated or acted like it in Empire. So I don't think Scoundrels will be that bad. If it's not why be mad about it?
    On another point wouldn't Leia have heard of Lando before Empire from this? Winter was there and I'm sure Han told the others at least once about it

14. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I wonder how Zahn will shoe-horn Thrawn into this novel. [face_thinking]

15. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Then again, something that happened three years back doesn't really seem like much of a "long time ago," as Han put it.

16. Joe

Dec 25, 2012
    Lando doesn't seem that upset about the Vaskila in Scoundrels. However, they do say he was desperate for money. It could always be he held back his anger at Han until ESB

17. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    $18.99 at Walmart in the States?! I love how in Canada we not only never get those kinds of deals but we have to pay 12-15% tax after the sticker price.:mad:It's the reason I preordered the Audible version. Which is too bad. This looks like something I'd rather read than hear.

Then again, we don't have anything as dumb as a fiscal cliff.

18. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    That's only because we're dumb enough to vote either to put idiots into office or to keep them in office.

19. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Oh, we vote for those guys too. Plenty.

20. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000

Zeta1127 and RC-1991 like this.
  21. Heat

Heat Jedi Master star 1

Apr 5, 2006
    What previews will be in this book? Crucible? Dawn of Jedi?

22. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I thought there was supposed to be a preview of Crucible. Can anyone who already has a copy shed some light on this?

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I've a list of things I want to comment on (mostly EU tidbits, not plot related at all) but I'll be waiting for the official release to post.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Preview info please?

krtmd likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Uh, there's a 20ish page preview of Crucible and a 16 page preview from DotJ: Into the Void. As I'm not to the end of the book yet, I haven't read them.

Zeta1127, krtmd and Force Smuggler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.