main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Will you read the novelization first?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Poor Greedo, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I loved the descriptions of everything. It was amazing. My sig happens to include the 1st page of ROTS because it got me into the book so quick. The Prologue Age Of Heroes was amazing. The "This is what it feels to be Character X right now" is great. The quotes at the beginning of each section was great as well.

JackG and DarthBoba like this.
  2. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    Me: "I'm not going to read the books before watching the movie."

Anakin:

Poor Greedo and Force Smuggler like this.
  3. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    movie first then read the novelization.

4. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I'm going to read the novelization first because I want to make sure that the plot and characters are good. Yes, I know that the first time I see the movie, my first viewing experience will be burdened with spoilers but I want to make sure that the next movie doesn't turn out to be another TPM. By that I mean, a Star Wars movie that will make me feel bitter and depressed after watching it, sort of like what TPM did to a lot of the fans that grew up with the OT.

Edit: If the story turns out to be a whopper, I won't see it.

Poor Greedo likes this.
  5. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012

[face_laugh]

6. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Yeah, I will. Hopefully it'll be a good writer.

FryingpoorGreedo likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There were two- one by Patricia C. Wrede, and one by Matt Stover. The Patricia C Wrede one may have been written for younger ages- but the Stover one wasn't.

8. DarthSpaced

DarthSpaced Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2012
    Well if the old saying is true that "the book is always better than the movie", see any Stephen King movie, aside from Misery and Ths Shining, then I guess you won't be going to see it.
    and as far as "everyone" hating TPM, if everyone hated it how'd it do a Billion dollars world wide?

9. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Nooooooooo .

10. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Wait... you think the EU is bad but watch TCW? [face_laugh]

11. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Heck no! [face_not_talking] I bought the ROTS novelization AND the soundtrack right when they came out but locked them in the closet hoping to see the film opening night...when that came into doubt and I still wanted to read film reviews the next day, I cracked and read the novel while listening to the soundtrack. Bawled my eyes out. I kind of knew everything that had to happen (Anakin turns to the dark side, Padme dies, a bunch of Jedi die), but didn't know in what order it would happen or how it would go down.

Was still blown away by the movie, even though I knew what would happen. Bawled my eyes out again (yes, I'm a wimp) but did not regret getting so spoiled until more than a year later when everything seemed to go flat.

I'm determined not to get spoiled this time. So no novelization for me. Being without a job makes that easier, though I honestly hope I'm not still out of work in three years...that would suck. :(

12. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Maybe the prologue/first chapter.

13. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Twice.

14. Master Jedi Kenobi

Master Jedi Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2012
    I think it's a slightly different situation to the PT.

As an audience we kind of knew what was coming i.e - Anakin turning to the dark side & the Jedi being wiped out (almost....).
    Whereas episodes 7,8 & 9 are compleely fresh.

I think it's a question of - will they be faithful to the EU novelizations, or just make up an entirely new story?

aeods likes this.
  15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    That's not really what this thread is about, and we have an EU discussion thread for that topic :)

16. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe yes, depends on how much you're paying me.

17. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    NO.

And if it's written by Troy Denning.

NO.

JackG and Force Smuggler like this.
  18. FryingpoorGreedo

FryingpoorGreedo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2012
    I can understand reading ROTS novel first because you know where it's going but a new story, which I assume this is I don't think they are going with EU, it would just spoil the movie and IMO make it have less of an impact.

19. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Ooh, ooh! I think the EU is wretched and adore The Clone Wars. Wanna fight about it? Please say yes.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  20. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I've only seen one season thus far, but it wasn't horrible -- there was actually alot I liked baout it. I really didn't like TCW movie though.

Poor Greedo likes this.
  21. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Not really; I'm pretty sick of such conversations.

22. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Got a funny way of showing it.

[​IMG]

23. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Ah, Ahsoka fans. Ok, here's a few points:
    - The show introduces Ahsoka, whose existence is so implausible: why wasn't she at least mentioned in the films?
    - The show doesn't even mesh well with RotS: not only Ahsoka but also Obi-Wan has now meet Grievous before the Battle of Coruscant. There's a few more instances, too.
    - The show references and takes ideas from the EU but does the stories worse, see Kamino and Mon Calamari.
    - The show contradicts itself (the vast EU does too, of course, but this is a single television program): the Onderon arc screwed up Heroes on Both Sides
    I could go on, but considering this is majorly off-topic, I won't.

24. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
  25. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I read the novelizations for the OT before seeing the movies and it didn't detract one bit from my love for the ANH/ESB/ROTJ.

With that said, I want to go into Ep VII-IX blind, and I don't want to be disappointed if the movie doesn't contain a scene in the book(s).

I am going to avoid the novelization.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.