main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Optimistic Appreciation Thread!

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by koonfan, Oct 25, 2010.

1. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Seerow, agreed on how character reception may vary. Like the Onderon rebels were nice enough, but very much fell into archetypes and a pretty consistent plot (I've considered it something of a Mon Cal arc 2.0 [face_laugh]). Gascon, on the other hand, is developing in pretty unique directions because he starts out as the gruff and arrogant officer who's never been on the field, then he reacts with some pretty genuine fear and even starts to bond with the droids (My view's always been they kind of have sentience and heart in their own right, they just don't relate to mortality and stuff the way organics do. Like "So you're telling me removing the head would cause a permanent malfunction?"). And no worries about whether you feel like you're optimistic or not, we all have our ways of appreciating shows, and we all have our high and low periods. :)

Watto, you're spot on as to why this works! Aside from the battles and animation (which, admittedly and ironically, are two-dimensional but exceedingly fun reasons to praise the show :p), it's been a consistent thing throughout all seasons. Original, rarely seen or underdeveloped characters that get proper attention have usually been one of the more reliable sources in praise, because it strengthens their assets all across the board. It wasn't just a case of "Woo! Fan favourite!", but rather "This fan favourite has an interesting personality, and it leads to some neat interactions". The better defined the characters, the more you're willing to invest into their fortunes. The less an audience has to squint to obtain some sort of understanding of these guys and their motives, the clearer the picture.

Also, to be fair, the whole "this other Jedi in that battle" is a favourite for two reasons: 1) It opens up avenues for other story hooks (is it a loss? A philosophy thing? A statement of war?), and 2) One does not simply enter a Star Wars fandom without finding background Jedi fanboys. Heck, look at me. All these seasons, still want an episode for the backgrounds just like in ol' Season 1. Dave's been pretty good with the self-restraint, only using Plo Koon as an emergency rescue button and not a spotlight hog. [face_laugh]

2. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    koonfan I know what you're saying about giving background Jedi some spotlight episodes. With Season 1 I was really excited about that and got disappointed when they kinda stopped that practice. I've come to realize though that there are only so many spins they will do on the warrior monk archetype, so I'd rather they develop more interesting characters with story potential.

However I still do have a guilty pleasure for getting guys like Oppo or Coleman Kcaj on the screen because it's just cool to see them.

Better yet, they need to bring Barriss Offee back as she acts as a good counterpoint to Ahsoka and it's cool to compare them. I believe Ahsoka to being a crucial element in the show as far as story potential.

Seerow, koonfan and rumblewagon like this.
  3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Lol, thanks. I try. I used to say I was the one who brought enough optimism to cancel out three negatives. But I guess alot has changed since last Novemberish.

I have thought a bit on droids and sentience lately. Its a very interesting subject with alot of gray area. They certainly seem more so in the OT than the PT shows. I've come to the think that maybe i all comes down to really good programming that gives droids the illusion of being sentient and people may cast that onto them the way pet owners do with cats and dogs. The mortality thing really helps separate the living beings from the metal ones.

I actually like the Mon Cala arc better than Onderon at this point.

I would actually like to see more Plo Koon and more Barriss now that you guys mention it.

4. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It would be better for the show if it had a little more focus and time for characters like Barriss and Plo Koon.

koonfan likes this.
  5. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Mainly because those are two examples of characters tied to ongoing arcs like Ahsoka and Anakin's fall (Cuz Plo been steppin' on his toes).

koonfan likes this.
  6. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Or maybe because they are the most interesting Jedi along with Fisto and Mace that have been done on the show.
    When I think of Plo Koon, I never think of Anakin cause they are so remote in every way.

And Barriss is just an awesome version of Ahsoka.

koonfan likes this.
  7. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    I was once caught up in the false dichotomy of being always-sunshine or always-frowns, and everyone on the other side was either misguided or malicious. It's not exactly a show-related finding, but one thing I've always appreciated learning from forums like this is that such a thing is not really the truth. In the end, you just go along day by day, seeing the things you want, forming your own opinion. XD

Yeah, those were great characters because we see how they relate to the world around them. True, only so many ways you can do peaceful warrior monk, but I think the Season 1 showings of Kit and Plo, and later Barriss in Season 2, were prime examples of characters dealing with a situation in their way, rather than just 'get to point A and break item X to proceed'. Like, we SEE Plo's care for the troops, get to hear Kit being both light and serious and of course, get a load of how Barriss and Ahsoka form yin and yang respectively.

Part of this might be because each had, not just considerable dialogue giving insight into their personalities, but their own foils or supporting cast members to bounce them off of. In that way, it's not just a character giving a soliloquy on having certain traits, but seeing them in action when a character agrees or disagrees with them.

On the note of characters, I think I read somewhere that Oppo Rancisis had his model approved a good while back. No appearances yet, but I think it would be a sheer hoot. Four armed Furby-snake Jedi? Yes, PLEASE. We already have Wookiees! [face_laugh]

8. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    In the end of the day, we all get a lot more out of another Kit Fisto major appearance then another Anakin rehash.

Oppo might appear in Season Six for all we know. I remember correctly, Filoni did answer my question about Tikkes's 3D model and he did answer another question from a friend with "Oppo's model being approved".
    That was in april this year.

koonfan likes this.
  9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I play both sides. Its more like there is not way a mere TV show no matter how good can give me a frown and make me mad as hell. LOL, I can relate however to getting far madder talking to people about this show on this vary forum. I won't lie, bro. I enjoy the insights everyone brings me here, so long as you can drop a wall of text that doesn't kill my attention span.

I agree with you on the peaceful warrior monks. It was fun to see new Jedi (to me) like Kit Fisto at first because I wasn't familiar with them. I'm curious about the Jedi. Its fun to see concepts introduces, see their foils, and explore there personalities. Hell, that's fun with Obi-wan even. However I'm more of a proponent of sticking to the ones who relevant to TCW plot threads like Plo and Barriss. Then creating OC Jedi who can add excitement (kinda like Satine on Coruscant with the Mando assassin chasing her. Would that same scene be very exciting with someone like Padme? Probably not).

koonfan likes this.
  10. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
  11. kenobifan1999

kenobifan1999 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    im not feeling very optimistic about season 5 :( so far its been the worst season to date. amazing opener.... 1 average arc, then 2 crap ones....

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I've enjoyed seven of the first eleven episodes this season, on that scale it's the best start to any season so far.

S1: 6/11
    S2: 6/11
    S3: 2/11
    S4: 6/11

13. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    This is not the thread you're looking for. *waves hand*
    Here is the thread you want: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/tcw-pessimism-thread.50007497/

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Let me show you how its done properly in the optimism thread:

So far season 5 has been kinda a disappointing to me compared to the season 4 before the start of holiday break but I know its going to get better. The Maul, Clovis, and Finale arcs are gonna rock. ASDITV may not be popular but it did the trick for me and lifted my spirits.

FARK2005 likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought the Onderon arc was great in showing regular citizens rising up against the Separatists. That was a refreshing change from the Jedi-plus-clones vs Separatists-plus-droids battles or the Senate meanderings.

I saw a very short, not-well-done YouTube clip from Anakin's quarters during the Clovis arc (I think it was from the trailer) and I really enjoyed the conversation they were having. I'm definitely looking forward to that aspect of the Clovis arc, along with Clovis getting his ass kicked.

AkashKedavra_93 and QuangoFett like this.
  16. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Yeah! I'm looking forward to seeing Clovis get a crap beat out of him.

17. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I think most of us are eagerly awaiting that :p

Seerow and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I do think that the convo with Obi-wan mentioned by anakinfansince1983 is gonna be alot of fun... as well as seeing Clovis get throw around Padme's apartment in the old trailer. I also liked the stuff TaradosGon said about the Banking clan openly changing sides and allying with the Separatists in this arc. That should be really intriguing. I initially wasn't looking very forward to the Clovis arc but now I am.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  19. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I was intrigued by the Clovis stuff from the start, and I like the positive excitement it's getting now.

20. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    I love how back by the start of S3 nobody remembered who Clovis was but now Clovis is the only thing on people's mouth aside from the horned crazies...

21. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I love how people reacted over to Clovis returning... Now its turned into one of the hotly anticipated arcs!

22. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    My attitude has not changed in the slightest. Still happy to see Clovis back.

23. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I hope Clovis kills Padme.

cwustudent and KenobiSkywalker like this.
  24. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I hope Embo kills Anakin.

25. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I hope Bolla Ropal kills Grievous.

InterestingLurker and Robimus like this.