main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit [Fantasy Flight Games] Because it just keeps getting better

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Or a Cerean... [face_thinking]

KamSolusar and CeiranHarmony like this.
  2. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    That picture... [face_love]
    [face_rofl]

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I can imagine Sim Aloo tagging all his buddies on SW facebook. A group shot before the Imperial rave dance party on the DSII.

4. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Now I want to friend you just so I can tag you as all of them.

5. Darth_Culator

Darth_Culator Jedi Master star 2

Dec 10, 2005
    Wouldn't you?

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I agree, Hav. I wish that the Kuati guards were not wearing such carbon copy uniforms of Giddean Danu's. However, the image does make me realize how much more I would like Kuati culture to be explored. They are not generic Core humans. They are rather quirky and definitely are unique.

--Adm. Nick

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Is there even such a thing as generic Core humans? The point of the Core Worlds is that they're the oldest, most developed cultures; naturally they'd be different and unique.

8. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The EU paints most Core Worlds as being very similar, which shouldn't be the case, IMO. I want to see more about the Core that shows the unique and varied nature of each world. More importantly, I want more Core Worlds developed and explored. Right now, we just see the following worlds/stereotypes:

Corellians = arrogant & adventurous
    Kuatis = arrogant & wealthy, mostly nefarious
    Alderaanians = pacifists & diplomatic
    Corulagites = Imperial & aggressive
    Chandrilians = Rebel & principled

I want to see varied Core Worlds & Core Worlders. And I want to see more Core Worlds than the ones listed above. I want to known more about Ralltiiri & Anaxsi, Recopians & Illodians. And I would love to learn more about alien Core Worlders like the Diamalans & Ishori.

The Core deserves to be explored more.

--Adm. Nick

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I opt to add:

Kuati = arrogant & wealthy, mostly nefarious & suicidal

(seriously, our two most famous Kuatis dramatically offed themselves!)

Cronal, Zeta1127 and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ah, alright. Yes, I was going to say that the cultures of the Core Worlds vary tremendously -- or ought to, based on what we know of them -- so that there shouldn't be any such thing as a generic Core Worlder. What you're saying is that despite that, it's portrayed as if there IS.

I wonder if that's just the general all-pervading Coruscanti influence on things, or that the contrast between the Core and the rest of the galaxy is such that there is a Core World stereotype in general, made up of common traits that Core Worlders have (although arguably not all; Duros and Corellians would fall out of that mold, for instance).

I would say that Anaxsi have been properly characterized, if we take the Generationals description from the RESB to generally apply to Anaxsi, which it seems to. Sadly, we never really see Anaxsi identified as such outside of reference materials: we might see Teshiks, Wermises, or Banjeers, but they're just Imperials, never Anaxsi.

I'd, uh, also disagree with some of your characterizations on that list -- particularly Corulag and Chandrila. I submit that you have a bit of an ideological slant there. You also neglected Coruscanti. Tsk tsk! :p

Raltiiri we don't see much of -- and the most famous son of Raltiir (no Lord Tion, I refer to Hobbie) doesn't exactly seem to match the culture of the world. Nor does Tyria Sarkin, I suppose.

Do we know any Recopians? It's a world of medical academies and the like, but I don't know where it's been featured.

I'd also very much like to add Shawken and the Shawkenese to that list. They're shown in, what, Marvel? But if they're a Core Founder, they deserve to be more developed. They have that ancient spire as a galactic wonder, after all.

11. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    That Haydnat Treen character definitely offed herself, too.

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    My avatar hereby challenges you to a fistfight.

Zeta1127 and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ahhhhh interesting. I stopped reading at Vortex so I wasn't aware of that one. Those Kuatis are sure an odd bunch.[face_worried]

14. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Saved yourself on that one, Barriss.

15. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Not necessarily as 25000 years of sharing ideas and culture exchange should actually have them grow together and start to have similar attitudes and opinions (espacely with the Holonet to connect them so readly), something that the "Into the Core Worlds" article in AJ 7 also mentions.

16. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yeah. Star Wars has some casual interstellar travel in general, and I imagine that travel within the core worlds would be easier, since pirates and navigational obstacles would be easier to eliminate, and because I imagine that wealthy and economically important worlds would be more likely to have regularly scheduled transportation to and from the planet.

17. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I always thought that the Core Worlds were each unique myself with different cultures and facets to them. As said, they are the oldest and most developed. I wouldn't be averse to seeing more exploration of those worlds like the Kuati and their own military/security forces.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know, it makes me think of those annoying American politicians who talk about "Europeans" as if all Europeans were the same, or something. It's a way to Otherize them -- you might find some common generalizations, but they're basically superficial in nature. Cultures that old vary widely. I grant your point with the Holonet, especially if we think about what internet and television has done (you can find French criminal defendants trying to plead the Fifth, or Nigerians saying "dude") but I don't know how that sort of generality could apply particularly just to the Core.

I could pull out SWAJ #7 I guess but from memory, didn't the article point out that Palpatine's attempts to create uniformity in the Core failed?

19. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I hate those as well as it makes even less sense if they are talking about Brits and then the Europeans, as if we were not Europeans :rolleyes:

Thing is, the Core has been connected for some 25000 years under a united Government and together controlled political and cultural development to make things more uniform. That’s longer than any earth culture as such ever existed. Even China only comes to some 6000 years (and the first 500 or so are utter guesswork), with rather “wild” periods and drastic social restructering in between. Not saying that there will not be all kinds of different habits and traditions on various worlds, but that things like laws, dailylanguage, social attitudes, fashion, music and movie tastes etc. are likely to be very similar.

Because he shut down the Holonet. AJ 7 points out that if he had just kept it up it would pretty much have had happened anyway, especially with Compnors efforts. :)

20. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Thanks LI, that's basically exactly how I remember it.

Gorefiend, we have to remember that the Republic wasn't ever a unitary state -- it's something more than a trade union but something less than a federal government. The Core Worlds, in particular, are vastly powerful economic and cultural engines and have their own militaries to boot. They've got singular senatorial seats whereas other places have to settle for being represented as part of a sector. I treat them as akin to the Great Powers of the late 19th and early 20th century: powerful, ancient states with their own self-interests that differ from their counterparts. This self-interest works against tolerating both a unitary state from on high and against uniformity amongst themselves.

To be certain, we have CoD's "Core faction" as favoring a stronger Republic -- but that's because the Republic is so identified with Core World interests. That doesn't mean that they're all subjects to the Republic or anything like that: rather, the Senate is their playground for power games.

22. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007

Gorefiend likes this.
  23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The Core seems to have, in a broad sense, three main influence points. Coruscant, Alsakan, and Corellia. Depending on where a Core World is located within the Core, there three worlds had very powerful influences on their neighbors. That is not to say that the Core isn't varied and diverse, but the EGTW seems to point to these three worlds having an inordinate amount of infulence over other Core Worlds.

Anaxsi are probably one of my most desired Human groups to be explored in greater detail. The Generationals you and I both love (for different reasons :p) would be a very fertile ground for some fun short stories about political intrigue circa 2 BBY - 4 ABY. You essentially have all these powerful families with great big estates that border each other having very different views on government. Staunch supporters of Palpatine's New Order would probably have a neighbor that was a secret supporter of the Republic & the Rebellion, and vice versa. Not to mention the families that are strictly military and care little for what government is on Coruscant, whose only care is to protect the Core against outside threads. It would be fun to see how these families interacted with each other, especially the Generational families that had members serving in both the Imperial Navy AND the Alliance Navy. The more I think about, the fact that Anaxes isn't used more is criminal.

Bah, I did forget the Coruscanti! :oops:

CATCW essentially paints Corulag's as being "devoid of provincial values and patriotism centered on the homeworld" and says that all loyalties are directed to Coruscant. So in that respect, Corulag sounds like one of those Core Worlds that simply views the changes of "ownership" of Coruscant as the changing of the seasons. Though, a quick glance at the Wook seems to show alot of Imperial supporters being from Corulag, but I suppose the same thing could be said of Corulagi under the Galactic Alliance following the GA's liberation of the world in the lead up to the liberation of Coruscant.

CATCW simply paints them as being financial professionals who are cultured. Not a whole lot to go off, and rather generic. Though we do know that they have a rebellious streak, so apparently these bankers are also know how to get their hands dirty when they are occupied by the Empire.

CATCW says they are hardy & taciturn. They sound kinda isolationist, but the world did form a federation among it's citystates in the GCW period. Other than that, they are described as being the first Core World to openly declare allegiance to the New Republic. Not much more than that.

Yeah, I forgot to mention Shawken too! They are actually one of my favorites. Per Star Wars #87, they seem to have democractic traditions as they ask the Rebels to attend a planetary council that was tasked with forming a post-Imperial government. Plus they attend the conference that forms the Alliance of Free Planets and go on to be a New Republic member.

Shawken is rather interesting in that they are in the Alsakani sphere of influence BUT also directly connected to Coruscant via the Shawken Spur hyperspace route. I wonder if Shawken was one of those worlds that was regularly caught up in the "games" played between both Core superpowers.

--Adm. Nick

24. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Considering the IGBC had its own army...

25. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Ralltiir was subjugated by the Empire rather quickly, IIRC. I don't recall any reference to Ralltiir having a powerful military, but that doesn't mean that they didn't. CATCW describes Ralltiiri as being proud that their financial institutions maintained "political neutrality" and that this buffered the financial markets from political machinations.

--Adm. Nick