main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Can you name 5 trilogies that didn't let you down?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Souderwan, Dec 27, 2012.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I very much love BTTF 2... the alternate Hill Valley of 1985 & the Hill Valley of 2015 were very well done. My only real critique of it is the massive replay of much of the last act from BTTF 1 (I realize it's central to the story, but I don't care :p ). I would highly, highly recommend Toy Story 3, Dani... it's incredibly great. And why is TDKR terrible? Sure it had it's issues, but terrible? Meh.

Ender_Sai: So much of the film was slightly lighter in tone than Raiders was... so what? Considering how I (and others) feel about how The Last Crusade turned out, why is that such a terrible thing? Movies can have different tones from each other in a trilogy/series & still maintain basic things that tie each film together. Not every film in a series has to be like the one that began it, even if that film is a great classic.

jp-30 and SithLordDarthRichie like this.
  2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Toy Story & LOTR are the only Trilogies I can think of that maintain quality or even increase in quality as they go on, everything else has at least one not-as-good movie in it.

The Star Wars OT would be up there had ROTJ not gone for pretty much the same plot as ANH. It has many great moments and rounds of the OT & The Saga very well, but I feel it needed to have gone a different route from the Death Star rehash plot in order to be truely stand-out as the other two are.

The Star Wars PT is disappointing on many levels even though it has a lot of good parts. It does increase in quality though (AOTC better than TPM, ROTS better than AOTC), unlike the OT.

Back to the Future is great but let down by part 2 even though it is a fun movie.

Godfather Trilogy is let down by part 3, Pirates of the Caribbean by part 2 (and 3 is still nothing like as good as 1 and it's no longer a trilogy now anyway since they made the 4th movie).

Indiana Jones when it was a trilogy was let down by Temple of Doom, but that is still better than Crystal Skull. I still own the DVD trilogy box-set and view the movies as a series of 3.

So I can't find 5 trilogies that don't disappoint me in some way, but there are many good & enjoyable trilogies overall.

3. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Unlike so many others, I loved At World's End, and that is my favorite Pirates film out of the series, which I know is an odd opinion to have.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  4. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    TDKR was a long, boring dirge with exactly one moment of levity in the whole thing ("So that's what that feels like"). I don't think every movie needs to be funny, but this is a Batman movie, not Schindler's List. There's a difference between making a gritty superhero movie and making a complete snorefest. Also the pacing was whack and didn't make any sense, I never had any idea how much time had passed even with the lines that were clearly shoehorned in to give an idea of exactly that.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Tunick, it's more that they ignored whole parts of their own mythos and overcorrected for Temple's darkness by making Last Crusade... well... camp.

You could argue the Bond films lightened in tone to cope with Roger Moore's limited (non-existent) range but they also were crap, so the point isn't valid.

Crusade wasn't crap, by any means, but it's really the Ford/Connery interactions that make it. Raiders is still the best of the bunch on most levels.

6. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Dani: I will concede some of the pacing issues, but I didn't find the film to be boring at all (in particular when **** finally goes down in Gotham when Bane finally makes his major move, I was completely enthralled). There were some dry lines of humor in this film (when Fox comes to the Manor & notices it's Wayne who answers it), but I didn't find the lack of levity to be too much of a problem (my big problem with TDKR was I though much more could have been done to show the effects of Gotham held hostage by Bane & company, and in particular more scenes of them harassing the 1%'ers). Regardless, everyone is obviously entitled to their own opinion here.

Ender_Sai: From your (and KW's) point of view. I would certainly argue that some elements of Raiders were campy (but obviously in a different tone than The Last Crusade ). But at the end of the day, we're just splitting hairs here, since I very much love & enjoy Raiders.

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't think the Bourne films have any levity in them (which suits me just fine), except perhaps for Chris Cooper's bitter "stakeout" line.

It's hard to articulate why levity works for me when it does. The Wire is terrific with its use of humor, and that's true throughout the series. It's never campy, and is usually dry. The Last Crusade descends into camp repeatedly, or at least that's how I recall it. I have no interest in checking it out again, so my memory will have to do.

For me, humor has to be understated or I generally dislike it. Camp is major violation of this, so anything campy is out 99.9% of the time for me.

I'm a big fan of all the Toy Story films and I think they're all great. Toy Story 2 is my favorite, but they're all terrific films.

8. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Although I love the Ford/Connery interactions, there's plenty of great stuff in that movie without them. Particularly the cut from Indy saying that Marcus Brody will blend in and disappear to the shot of Brody asking if anyone speaks English. Also the bit with the librarian stamping the books. Hitler signing the diary. "No tickets."

EDIT: Yeah, Bourne is a thriller. I wouldn't expect much levity, so the lack didn't bother me. I do expect levity from a superhero movie. Even a Christopher Nolan one. That whole thing was just dark and depressing and boring and trying too hard to be gritty.

solojones and DarthTunick like this.
  9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I watched the trilogy over this weekend (in reverse :p ), and was amazed of how much of Toy Story 2 I remembered instantly, despite not having seeing it for at least 5+ years. If there was was an example of a perfect or near perfect trilogy, the Toy Story films would be it.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah but Dani, remember in Raiders when Marcus wasn't a total buffoon? Because I do, but everyone else forgot.

He actually says to Indy that if he were 10 years younger he'd go after the ark himself.

Tunick - Rises was terrible.

To all: TKDR = The Dark Knight Returns, Frank Miller's seminal graphic novel. The third Nolan film is Rises or Dark Knight Rises or DK3 if you must. :p

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    If people are going to find fault with the original Indiana Jones trilogy, I would have to think it would be the arguably racist, fairly ridiculous "Temple of Doom" not the other two entries.

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

No.

:p

13. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    No.

DarthTunick and Lowbacca_1977 like this.
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes. It was. I'm sorry if you haven't thought about it yet and realised how bafflingly idiotic most of it is, but, well, I have and it is.

Yes. TKDR is actually good. The Dark Knight Rises isn't.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    1) Because superhero characters must never change, especially not if the change was already foreshadowed and telegraphed in prior films, when not being ignored by those who know better.

2) Because the most pompous voices on the internet say that it is. Q.E.D.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    How dare you!

Actually Wocky the point is that people are arguing what is greater, Raiders or Crusade. They're somewhat conspicuously not addressing Temple. That should tell you something.

17. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Going with Raiders. The Marcus thing bothers me probably more than it should. :p

18. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    He went senile in the intervening two years, obviously. You people have no imagination.

DarthBoba likes this.
  19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Same, Boba

Hey, did anyone else have a horrible dream where they made a fourth Indy film? And they put that asshat Shia TheBeef in it?

20. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    I'm gonna say this and I'm gonna stand by it: Crystal Skull is better than Temple of Doom.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Get out.

jp-30 and The_Four_Dot_Elipsis like this.
  22. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
  23. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    i'm all for injecting humor to offset the nolan funereal seriousness, but if it's just going to be awful jokey jokes and haha funnies like at the end of batman baggins, then it's probably best not to bother.

24. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    This may get me banned but I'm gonna say it anyway.

I enjoy three Indiana Jones movies and The Last Crusade isn't one of them.

25. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    agreed

anakinfansince1983 likes this.