main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Christopher Lee is the undead vampire lord Dracula. He is the evil wizard Saruman. He is the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Tyranus. OF COURSE CHRISTOPHER LEE IS METAL!

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    How does one know of Christopher Lee and not know of his contributions to power metal? :p

I seem to remember he played on a Rhapsody of Fire album. Surprisingly, it wasn't bad at all.

Actually, now that I think about it, he did his own symphonic metal album, Charlemagne: By the Sword and Cross. If that isn't a heavy metal album title, I don't know what is.

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    He shed the blood of the Saxon men.

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I finally watched the Doctor Who Christmas special that introduces Clara, his new companion. I was convinced that I wouldn't be able to get attached to a new set of companions, but I was wrong. The chemistry betwee the Doctor and Clara is awesome, and I am VERY interested to see what direction they go in with this. And having past Doctor Who friends also show up in this episode made it a real treat.

Well done, my British cousins. Once again, a BBC produced series has kept it's hooks in me!

--Adm. Nick

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    RC-1991 - one of my favorite Medieval 2 mods was just updated: Invasio Barbarorum 2: Conquestus Britanniae. It's a fun little mod -- nothing at all like EB alas -- but it's basically late antiquity in Britain and upper France, after the WRE has withdrawn. You can play as various celtic, saxton, Romano-British, or Germanic factions -- or you can play as the Merovingians attacking the remnants of the Dioecesis Galliarum (the so-called Domain of Soissons, the last Roman bastion in northern Europe).

Also on that note, I've been reading a bevy of books on late antiquity lately... I should post reviews later. They're quite good.

6. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Nice. I think that I've had trouble getting that one to work (because lol steam), but I have played a bit of Africa Vandalorum, another EBII mod.

As for my holiday reading list, right now I'm reading Babylon: Mesopotamia and the Birth of Civilization by Paul Kriwaczek, and will be reading 1453: The Holy War for Constantinople and the Clash of Islam and the West, by Roger Crowley. This will likely be followed by an in-depth read of Carthage Must Be Destroyed (was reading bits from a libary copy earlier this year), and a new series of lectures for my roommates once the semester starts, courtesy of my new copy of the EGTW :p

So, on EB: Carthage lies in ruins, and only one Aedui stronghold remains. The Macedonians, Hellenes, Pontines, and Seleucids war for Asia Minor as the Pahlavans and Sauromatae push into the eastern Seleucid territories. Meanwhile, the Sweboz are gaining a worrying amount of territory in northern Europe. Also, its only 245 BCE.

SENATVS POPVLVSQVE ROMANVS

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    You guys are weird.

RC-1991 likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Um, RC. Adjective-noun agreement! :mad: It's a stock phrase, too!

9. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    There, edited :p

10. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Since this is a nerd-related forum, can I ask if anyone has ever played the board game Titan or its Java clone Colossus? To help your memory, it's pretty much one of the more complex and involved board games out there, sort of a fantasy-recruitment-wargame-type thing. We've never actually finished a game of the board-game variety, though the computer version goes a lot faster.

I played a good game of the Java version tonight with friends in my living room, which is why I thought to ask. Though to be honest I lost in the first half-hour and had to watch the rest of the time...

11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    http://www.longbowgames.com/rome/

You might want to keep a look out for this game. The original Wars of Ancient Greece was insanely fun, in a time sinking “I need to crush one more city state” way. Plus surprisingly strategic, espacely because you had to actually haul supplies along for your army and keep your more or less willing "Allies" in line.

RC-1991 likes this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Litizens: I need the name of an agriworld within the New Territories / Imperial Remnant. The reasons why will become apparent later.

13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Ord Sedra, Biitu or Garqi should serve.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Thanks. I needed it for an upcoming one-shot fanfiction I decided to think of writing when I was in the shower this morning. It's going to be called "The Farmer King" and the first line is "Lord Rodin Hlian Verpalion, advisor to the Emperor, was very particular about his topatos." :p

Sinrebirth likes this.
  15. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that Lord Verpalion/

But now the topatos grow o'er his halls, and no one there to... rhyme with Verpalion.

Rilwen_Shadowflame and Gorefiend like this.
  16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    ...watch Evangelion? ;)

RC-1991 likes this.
  17. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Ok, I finally decided to take the plunge with Steam. Downloading the Dark Forces series as we speak. I'm actually kinda disappointed (but not really surprised) that Star Wars: Rebellion is not on here.

EDIT: Oh, and the X-Wing/TIE-Fighter series. :mad:

18. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I'm kind of surprised that Bethesda hasn't made Arena and Daggerfall available as free downloads on Steam (though they're available on the official ES site).

It would also be nice if they would rerelease Battlespire and Redguard.

19. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    There are so many games... I don't even know where to begin. After where I already have, that is.

20. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I figure I might as well read Storm of Swords for the third time before season 3 of Game of Thrones begins in March. This is going to be one rollercoaster of emotions yet again.

21. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I'm still rewatching the first season and waiting for the hardback of the novel to come in mail (I read it the first time in paperback but felt it very unconformable, especially because of my "Don't stretch the spine!"-rule). The second season begins here in February. I have decided that with this series I will watch the season first before reading the novel, because it's so good and I have never done that before. I have valiantly defended myself against all spoilers and using all the honesty I have to deny the demons of Internet.
    Good thing all the valiant and honest characters get... wait a minute.

22. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    You would hate my books. They have creases down their spines. I'm a regular back-breaker.

And that's all I can contribute to this current topic.

So, what are your plans for New Year's Eve? Any interesting parties planned? Going out to watch your local town drop or raise some object? Plan to just stay home and get sauced? I'm going to Dillsburg to watch the pickle drop.

23. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Drew the short straw, so get to work tonight, though at least I get extra pay for it.

24. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    I'm sitting right here in this chair for it. Only three more hours, and I can let the new year tick over while I'm online.

25. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Well they say that while a scruffy hardback looks unloved, the more a paperback has been exposed to stretching, pockets, water, fire and small kids the more loved it looks. I just want to keep the spines without creases since that's what I'll see of them every day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.