main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What are your Star Wars literature resolutions for 2013?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMasterKeno, Dec 30, 2012.

1. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008
    Literally the best choice you can make, you won't regret it. Once you get deeper in it's heart wrenching, especially Star by Star and Traitor.

Anyways back to my resolutions:

I need to get back on the bandwagon, I feel off when I went to school because I haven't had a lot of time to read but I really need to.

First off, have to finish Apocalypse only about 2/3 of the way through and need to finish it
    Buy and read Darth Plagueis. Big fan of Luceno and I have yet to get to it even though I've been looking forward to it for years.
    Read a lot more comics, if possible.

hmmm I'll think of more.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I intend to keep reading the comics and will be skipping out on the DR books in Hardcover (though I am sort of itching to read Scoundrels I will just have to wait for paperback).

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Really Mani? With about 20 pages of ads per issue?

And how on earth did you get up to 120 trades? I know there's not that many SW trades, I've got the bulk of 'em! Or do you mean comics generally? In which case, yeah, I'm way past 120!

4. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    Im apprehensive to start the NJO books but im really interested in Jacen Solo and want to see how far Luke and Kyp have come.

I want to finish the Jedi Academy Trilogy, read Jedi Search and now cant wait to get the other 2 novels.. Ive noticed these titles get some flack from the fans but I really enjoyed Jedi Search. I read it right after the Thrawn Trilogy and feel as if its an easy transition into the Jedi Academy Trilogy...

last but not least I wanna finally crack open Darth Plagus, im completely stoked to read that book. Its packed with pages and from what ive read from reviews, there is much content to be enjoyed within those pages.

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Finally buy all the TPBs I haven't been buying since I switched to singles for Legacy and KOTOR in case Disney don't keep them in circulation.

Read the mountain of books and sourcebooks I've had growing on my desk due to being so busy this year that I've literally only read, like, one, maybe two novels all year... oh, and finish the piles of comic singles I've still got on my floor from six months ago.

And prepare my secret doomsday weapon (aka. a mouse trap) should Disney try and step on my EU.

6. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Not forget that Mercy Kill's paperback is coming out in June and say "Well, some other time, doesn't matter much anyway does it" months later when I realize that I missed it.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  7. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Adding in the Omnibus' I've actually got 115 SW trades. Not 120. That's everything from Prelude to a Rebellion to Dawn of the Jedi vol 1.

I don't know. I've noticed that the last couple of trades didn't give me as much pleasure as the single issue experience. Ads and all. If the single issues were not $2.99 I'm sure I wouldn't entertain the idea. But $2.99 is a good price. The ads don't bother me when the story page count remains the same.

The new Brian Wood series, to me, is made for single issue purchase rather than trade form. It reminds me of the Marvel days.

'Course there is the compulsion to buy a trade when it's already got several volumes on my shelf. IE: Dark Times. In fact it's compulsion to keep up my collection that made me buy things like Jedi: The Dark Side. I don't want to buy stuff just to buy stuff. I'm talking about you, Blood Ties vol 2.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, I must be way more selective than I thought then, as I'd guesstimate my SW trades to be around the 40-50 mark.

9. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Finish TUF
    Finish BFCT
    Only after that, may I read Starfighters of Adumar and Mercy Kill:p

A couple of re-reads is also on the list, but I still haven't decided which ones.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    So I'm not the only one who had issues with that book! I remember reading it yearssss ago and it took me forever. I just couldn't get into it. Which was frustrating, because it's by the amazing Luceno and stars the Jedi Council, all the greatest Neimoidians, and even Vergere! So how could it be so utterly boring??

11. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    Glad to see how great an idea it is. I love the idea behind the New JEdi Order series, and the idea of a huge war against an invading alien species fascinates me. But I"m waiting too read it until I've bought more of the books so I don't read through the first three and then have to wait until I get more.

I had issues too. FInally forced myself to finish it so I could read Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter. I wasn't to interested in his original character, who seemed the bigger focus than Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan, like I had originally thought. I did like the ending, though.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm working on getting the Clone Wars comics myself. The 1st omnibus was amazing. I might be able to get 2 soon and not sure about 3.

13. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Ahceivable in 2013:
    Finally get through the NJO, including the short stories (just finished Edge of Victory)...while also keeping up with current Star Wars fiction.

I also would like to read Jedi Trial. I am oddly intrigued to read a book that is universally regarded as awful. Curious to see if it is worse than TFU, which I regard as the worst book I have read in any genre.

Ongoing:
    Continue my quest to read ALL Star Wars fiction...I have A LOT of YA books, short stories, and novellas to get through (not too mention a good deal of the older comics).

14. JediMasterKeno

JediMasterKeno Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 22, 2000
    Well me personally I'm not gonna skip Approaching Stom which RC1991 was trying to make me avoid to read. Its my choice, not yours. I think Approaching Storm is great since Obi Wan and Anakin team up with Barris and Luminara. That and while along with the other Prequel in betweener novels theres still some post-Original Trilogy novels like Crystal Star that I missed out and I really dont care if some of you think Crystal Star was "awful" or whtaever.

The Old Republic novels, there was only one I read and it was that Fatal Alliance it was alright. Just hope Deceived and that other one where some dude is peeking around the corner with a blaster. That and dunno if i should spend money on the Darth Plageous.

The whole X-Wing book novels I might buy and re-read since I rented/checked out the first 3-4 X-Wing novels from the town library like a couple of years ago. They were kinda fun.

Also the Unswarmer books I will buy and it involves those sentient insects and theres not that many books of that series anyway

15. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008
    Oh you gotta read that NJO, it's by fart he best literature and story in the entire star wars universe.

16. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    Really, I hear so many mixed reviews on the NJO im cautious about starting in cause so many books are involved....

But reviews are misleading because I read a lot of negative things about Jedi Academy Trilogy and I absolutely loved Jedi Search, that's the first book of the trilogy

17. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    The NJO is an extremely divisive series. You either love it or you hate it, there seems to be very little ground.

Personally, it's my favorite part of the Star Wars canon, full stop.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Read the first book of the NJO, Vector Prime. If you like it, you'll probably like the rest. If you hate it, you'll probably hate the rest.

Every person that I can remember hating it, hated it right off the bat.

19. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    interesting, because I really wanna see how far Jacen, Luke and Kyp have come in this series.

and lets be honest reviews are what they are and can only be taken as a grain of salt. I stated I love Jedi Search and people have reviewed it poorly. While Shadows of the Empire gets great reviews and I personally thought it was nothing spectacular at all.. Some fun parts that I really enjoyed but I thought the hype was a bit much..

Now the Thrawn Trilogy lives up to all the positive press. Especially Dark Force Rising which is by far the best of the series.

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It's not so-bad-it's-good-bad (e.g. GODV), and it's not so-bad-it's-offensive-bad, but somewhere in between. I'd say it's worth reading for the facepalm scenes.

Sinrebirth and DarthStymi like this.
  21. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    For a second there I thought you meant TUF and was about to break out the bacon... [face_relieved]

DarthStymi likes this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Got the 2nd Omnibus of the Clone Wars so I'm off a to a good start for next year on my omnibus collection. Just have to find the 3rd one. Not out yet where I am [face_waiting]. Not sure what one to get after that.

23. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Ha! Hold the bacon for now, please. T U F seems like the polar opposite of T F U, which is universally regarded as awesome. That one is part of my first goal of the year...finishing the NJO, so I still have a while until I get to TUF.

24. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I'll start Lost Tribe of the Sith when I get back to my college apartment on the 4th of January, so that'll be my first Star Wars reading of the new year.

-Read Lost Tribe of the Sith
    -Read Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Warfare

Those are the only two books I have on-tap right now. Going to have to determine what else I want to buy and read this year. There are many, many books I don't own, but most of them I do not own because I'm not particularly interested in them.

25. Jedi_Glover

Jedi_Glover Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Finish my project that I started in August of reading all of the NJO, DNT, LOTF, FOTJ in order including Riptide, Crosscurrent, Millennium Falcon, and Mercy Kill. Currently on Vortex so not too much more to go. Also I plan on getting at least the first bit of Legacy to see how I enjoy comics since the new Legacy comics sound interesting.