main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What elements of the EU should be in the Sequel Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Allana_Rey, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I think...

-- Luke being the leader of the New Jedi Order.

-- There being a New Republic.

-- Mara-Jade is Luke's wife, but don't have her be a former assassin. Also include Ben as their son.

-- Have Leia and Han be married with Jacen, Jaina and Anakin. Also have them be Grandparents to Allana.

-- Leia being a New Republic Senator.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    -- Cal Omas played by Steve Martin.

Rew, AdmiralNick22 , Zeta1127 and 5 others like this.
  3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Or, Cal Omas should be constantly referred to, but never actually shown on screen.

4. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
  5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I think these are all pretty likely. I'm sure it will mirror the more recent EU and have both the NJO and NR mirror their PT counterparts very closely, as well. I.e., Luke having Yoda's old chair in the Jedi Temple, Leia being Supreme Chancellor of the New Republic.

Han and Leia being married and having Jedi kids who are the main characters? Almost definitely. Them being the same characters as in the EU...somewhat less likely. The same with Luke being married and having a kid of his own.

6. Sith93Apprentice

Sith93Apprentice Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2012
    I Think that Legacy is the best candidate, although when I was listening to the audio and thought about the scenes and such it really felt like it was written to be aTV serial. Now, I really liked the idea of doing a serial between Ep 3 & 4, especially if it would show more of the development of the Alliance, Fett, etc but Legacy would be really good if adapted to TV. FOTJ would also make a good serial especially since it has so many arcs that lead to nowhere. I think of the EU material I know, Legacy is the best candidate and I would love to see more of the Lost Tribe, Ben, Vestara and all the kids doing something, but Legacy has a little bit of everything to please everyone. I really disliked Mara getting killed almost as much as I disliked Vestara getting the punt as a cheap villain but not quite. I think there's enough in Legacy please everyone and if it only had the Lost Tribe, some depth to Sith culture that wasn't corny and unlikely Sith anti-hero allies of the New Jedi Order, it would be perfect.See, the whole thing about Sith is that they are an invisible Order, some fractured and in-fighting and some coordinated. I never liked the idea of just 2. Writers need to pick up on the concept that only 2 may be visible to each other at a time, ie, Master and Apprentice but this doesn't mean that only 2 exist in actuality. That's how espionage and secret societies tend to work anyway. The Jedi have the advantage of position, so they can be visible in large numbers, but my take is that during the Order 66 days, they very much should have hidden and passed knowledge on just like Sith. There is no morality in doing so, and that would make Luke's story a glimpse into this activity, but not the absolute truth. I think Jason makes a good super villain and we know other Sith exist during his time. There's no reason a viewer can't assume the omniscient perspective and be aware of differing or competing Sith factions while the characters do not. I actually really liked Mara as a Jedi who began as an assassin. It gave her character. This is why I really liked the idea of Ben's girlfriend starting Sith and later Turning Jedi. We always here about some Jedi who goes dark, but never a Sith who goes light after she started that way. I think Mara was a good idea and when she was sacrificed for shock and awe I felt it left her place in the pantheon vacant. I actually wanted the very thing Denning said he was trying to avoid by making Vestara into another Mara Jade. So what? Instead he made her another Lumyah. Now that was not original at all.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Ughh... we can keep the entire EU, people. We probably will, with just a few contradictions to be retconned (like what happened with the PT). That doesn't mean everything needs to be referenced, though.

Apophis_ and LawgSkrak like this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    -Jaina, Jacen Anakin (Won't happen), Ben, Allana, Jag, Zek, Tenel Ka, Tahiri, Lowie.
    Anakin Solo won't happen because us the fans might get him mixed up with Anakin Skywalker. 'Rolls eyes'
    -Bring in all or most of the Aliens from the post ROTJ EU.
    -Yuuzhan Vong! At least one thud bug, ampistaff and coralskipper
    -Tie Fighter variants
    -Other Force groups

Zeta1127 likes this.
  9. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I wanted to believe this, but it's very unlikely. I think that the EU truly will become a parallel universe as some already perceive it to be.

10. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    From a certain point of view, the ST will be the parallel universe. How many people who spent the last 20 years following the adventures of Luke and the New Republic will be able to simply accept a totally different version of the story as "more definitive", even if they intellectually tell you that Lucas' version is king? You can't undo that amount of memories, not even by drinking. Look at Obi-Wan, his trips to the cantina only resulted in mixing up a few details of the prequel story, not in forgetting all of it. Okay, looking at Yoda, maybe swamp gas will help you forget.

11. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    I suppose you're right. The ST will always evoke thoughts such as "ah, remember when that happened in book"; it's tied forever to the Bantam and Del Rey novels in my mind. The same situation is TCW rehashing the old Clone Wars multimedia project, throughout the Mon Cala ( :p ) arc I was thinking "the micro series did this way better". Interesting times ahead, for sure.

12. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    If Lei is a Senator 20-30 years later, she has not progressed much from a career standpoint. Wasn't she an Imperial senator?

I have a feeling they'll have Leia Jedi trained much earlier.

13. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    In the case of Leia, I really hope the ST ignores the EU and doesn't throw her back into politics. I don't get why fans want to turn her into some kind of Padme clone.

Senator >>> Rebel >>> Jedi

That should have been her character arc in the EU, as it was in the Original Trilogy. The only time she was ever portrayed as a politician in the movies was the opening of ANH. She was branded a traitor and then her home planet was destroyed. Her time in politics ends there. The rest of the trilogy she was a military rebel leader, and in ROTJ her character was set up to follow Luke's footsteps and learn the ways of the force. There was NOTHING whatsoever in ROTJ to ever suggest she would pick politics over becoming a Jedi.

I hope when the ST rolls round we see Leia as a Jedi Master, and any involvement in the Senate will be along the lines of Anakin in ROTS as a representative for the Jedi Council.

14. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    All of them.

General Immodet and Manisphere like this.
  15. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    A 5 mile long Super Star Destroyer.

Gorefiend, Zorrixor and RC-1991 like this.
  16. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    I much prefer Leia as Chief of State to Leia as Saba's apprentice; it was great to have her return to her diplomatic ways in Conviction.

JediMara77 likes this.
  17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Hopefully none. I want new stuff so that we can move forward in the timeline and create new stuff. Novels, comic books, and video games tend to copy and expand whats in the movies. I don't want stuff used from the EU, unless its planets and modified newer version of ships weapons and stuff like that.

18. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Waru?

COMPNOR and Zorrixor like this.
  19. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Don't forget his beloved queen of the stars.

20. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    I'd like everything, if possible. One thing that needs to stay is Ben Skywalker, and though I know it won't happen, I'd love to see Vestara appear too. Still hoping Apocalypse was set up for the new films, and that is why Denning said they were possibly going to treat Legacy as only a possible future, beacuse the Sequel Trilogy may mess with it.

21. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    But think of all the people who will be confused when there's both a Ben Kenobi and a Ben Skywalker!!! IT'S TOO CONFUSING!!! :eek:

krtmd and Force Smuggler like this.
  22. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    Didn't think about this. :p Forgot the entire movie-viewing community has a collective intelligence of about a two year old, and think people having the same first name means that they are the same person. Oh Lucas, how you doubt us...

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Lucas has done it before though. Anakin Skywalker and Anakin Solo

Zeta1127 likes this.
  24. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    Umgullian BLOB RACES

Force Smuggler, Rew, Zorrixor and 2 others like this.
  25. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Much as I love Legacy, it is the only thing I will accept being tossed out/turned into Infinities. Everything else needs to stay intact. Doesn't need to be referenced in the new movies, but no "parallel reality" bull. This isn't Star trek.