main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Crucible by Troy Denning

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Here we go... Luke Han and Leia discover the entrance to Hell, and have to pass through trials to get into Hell, brings Chewie Mara and Anakin out... Jacen gets left behind...

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, although it's iffy exactly what it "means", i.e. whether it's a place of its own, or if it's just the same place as seen through the eyes of a darksider who hates the idea of joining the big fuzzy group hug that is merging with the Force.

E.g. If you're Palpatine and Yoda comes up and gives you a hug on reaching the other side, that is his idea of Hell. :p

Plagueis speculates this in his writings in Book of Sith, where he debates what actually awaits darksiders and what fate would actually be considered worse by them.

3. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Wait, so this is what they meant by "Han knows the villain's mother from way back when"? :eek:

kataja likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    No disrespect intended @Sinre. I skimmed the beginning of it a couple months back but I've been meaning to look at it more fully

5. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Duh, Han dated the Devil's mom

6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    [​IMG]

There does seem to be some kind of "Force afterlife", if we're taking this as canon. There may or may not be a "hell" equivalent. Probably a good thing that the relationship between death and the Force is kept mysterious and ambiguous.

7. GrumpyGreg

GrumpyGreg Jedi Knight

May 27, 2011
    Hands?! With his beard! :p

Or purposely left everything open ended so that the milking of the proverbial cash cow can continue.

I don't recall the basking. The heartbreaking, the pain and the tears I do. This gives me some tiny hope. Well at least it did before Disney took over.
    Anyway if she will be reduced to a run-of-the-mill villain, that would be an Invincible-class fail. Again. It's getting hard to believe that this is the same Luke who single-handedly turned back Darth Vader. Nowadays we either get 'Will you turn?" "Well, um, okay." "Cool! Lets go for lunch" or "Will you...never mind, we don't trust you anyway so don't bother." or "You're an evil bastard but I'll spare your life out from the goodness of my heart and I'll send someone else to do the job so I can continue my glorious saintly existence".

The RotS novelization was dark, depressing, galaxy tripping into darkness and all and still it had a kriffing excellent satisfying ending. Best SW book I read in a long time.

8. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    The Galaxy Tipping into Darkness... That would be the Sequel Trilogy....

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Why thank you! FotJ: Confederation or Darth Sidious (a Darth Plagueis type novel set post-Endor) next!

None taken. An official one wouldn't hurt. It's finishing this week, actually.

10. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    This... please!!!

11. DarthKenny

DarthKenny Jedi Knight

Feb 11, 2010
    Actually, Beyond Shadows basically sounds to me to be more like a version of Purgatory. Maybe this is where all those who aren't sufficiently good or evil spend time before going on to the afterlife of the Force.

12. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Just read the preview for this, if you go on Amazing, type in Scoundrels by Tim Zahn, then click to look inside and scroll down. I have a bad feeling about this book.

13. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Only skimmed through the preview... doesn't seem to reveal much, although I like how Leia seems to be portrayed as a Jedi Knight rather than her and Han's usual "we don't do anything helpful" depictions in recent books.

14. Allana_Rey

Sep 2, 2012
    If Allana was in this I'd read it as soon as it comes out. Denning writes her the best.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I sort of hope this like Tatooine Ghost. That was one of the (few) Denning books I liked. Just so long as Han and Leia don't go overboard with the smarmy holier-than-thou attitudes Denning's been giving them lately.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    On the contrary, I'm glad to see Han and Leia alone again. They work better that way, or with Luke and possibly Lando, as will probably happen in this book.

17. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    What about R2 and 3P0? We may not have Chewie but what about the droids we love?

18. Allana_Rey

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm sure they'll appear.

19. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I am sure they will too, but I don't want the "Han and Leia told C-3P0 to stay on the falcon and that was exactly what he did." R2 needs to comm him ask him to come save him, because Luke's comm isn't working. The two of them could have an entire side plot that reconnects and kind of help Luke Han and Leia the way Scooby Doo ultimately captures a villian through some mistake...

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I was pleasantly surprised by the Scoundrels excerpt. It's nothing special, but there was nothing overly wrong with it, minimal Denning flourishes (Leia is hawt! lol Mandos!), and some amount of promise in the setup. If we can get Troy Denning at his Tatooine Ghost level, I'll be pleased. I'm not optimistic about the book yet -- one scene is too little to reverse nine straight awful, awful books -- but I'm a little more optimistic than I was.

Sinrebirth and kataja like this.
  21. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    For those who don't have Scoundrels yet... Check out Wookieepedia for a Synopsis...

I can't help but wonder... are they going to find the extra galactic robots that the Vong hate?

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    So lol, we have yet another "final" cover. And this time Han looks like Han and not some geriatric Han Solo cosplayer.
    [​IMG]

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  23. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I see all those years without putting on sun protection have finally caught up with Luke...

You might be a decade younger, farmboy, but Han is the only one who still has the looks. :p

24. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I'd say Leia's looking very well kept for a sexagenarian. And Han lost his boobs!

25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Everyone getting ready for the 'Chewbacca was replaced by Vong-hating droids and is still alive' retcon?

I am ;)