main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Where's the love for Count Dooku?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ObiAlKenobi, Dec 31, 2012.

1. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I hear a lot of complaints about Dooku. I don't fully understand it. I really enjoyed the character. And I give Kudos to Lucas for creating him. It was probably very tempting to make the new Sith lord a bada$$ like Maul. Someone to sell more and more toys. Instead we got a different type of Sith lord. He was a masterful liar and manipulator (similar to Palps in that way). An older statesman who was elegant and devoid of conscience. Ready to kill old friends in the name of the Dark Side. A good range of emotions.

And of course the acting by Christopher Lee. One of the best actors of any age. I wish he had more to do in Sith (perhaps kill him off later in the movie - switch places with Grevious).

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't. On the contrary actually. And as a big fan of Christopher Lee, he's one of my favourite characters.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I love Dooku. I liked him even more after reading Plagueis and Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. He didn't need to be a badass, he had dignity, and his reasons for leaving the Republic and the Order made sense, even if he obviously made horrible and really stupid choices afterwards. He was disgusted with the corruption in the Republic and the way (it appeared to him) that the Order blindly served an institution that was rotting from within. Understandable reason to leave, and at the same time, a reason that left him ripe for exploitation by Sidious.

On his fighting style, this is another area where he didn't need to be a badass, he only needed knowledge of lightsaber technique and emotional control. He defeated Anakin in AOTC by being a skilled duelist but also by having better control than Anakin had (granted that isn't hard). He only lost to Anakin in ROTS because Anakin had learned to take all that rage and harness it.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I think the only criticism that can be made, and it's not even a problem with the character itself, is lack of screen time.

5. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Is there any EU that tackles his time with Qui-Gon?

ObiWanKnowsMe and CoolyFett like this.
  6. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    The issue with Dooku was the way he was handled in the films. Throughout AOTC, he was downplayed as a 'political idealist', to build up the dramatic reveal that he was a With. Unfortunately, this had been spoiled in the trailers, and thus the only thing which remained was Dooku being downplayed in the film

Thuro and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  7. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    he was a great character,

unfortunately the character undegoes an ageist attitude from some of the more vocal Star Wars fans

especially those who prefer darth Maul

Also Dooku was a "With"?

:p

sarlaccsaurs-rex and CoolyFett like this.
  8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I liked movie Dooku, but unfortunately TCW and most of the EU has gone with a portrayal of Dooku different from what I saw in the movies.

Young reader novel Legacy of the Jedi, but there's not much to it.

AshiusX likes this.
  9. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Well he's a very cool character, similar to Saruman but more interesting. However the movies gave him too little time. You have to look at EU to know him well.

10. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Dude the same actor played Saruman! lol you probably knew that XD

11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Count Dooku is one of my favorites from the PT and wish we could have seen more of him. However, I do love the way Palpatine betrays him in ROTS so I wouldn't want to change that a bit. The look on The Count's face is priceless when he finally understands that he's been nothing more than a placeholder for Anakin. I also love the way Palpatine smirks back at him! I do wish they would place the statue scene in the library back in the movie.

12. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I would have liked to see a scene of Dooku in TPM (filmed now of course and edited in).

13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Totally, like Saruman in the Hobbit. It would help movie fans understand why did he join the Dark Side.

markdeez likes this.
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I prefer the mystery of the character in Episode II so I don't like I'd want him to appear in Episode I. However, I would have liked to see the character built up a little more as the idealist who deserts the Jedi Order for noble reasons before his reveal as the new Sith apprentice.

15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Why? It's a trilogy, even Palpatine showed in since EP I.

16. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Palpatine didn't show up until TESB in the first set of these. Still-his intro was alot more oomphy than Dooku's was.

17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I just like the sense of mystery the character has in Episode II where we don't even meet him until the end of the movie. It keeps with the theme of the film where pretty much everything is shrouded in mystery. From the identity of the person who wants Padme dead, to the origins of the clones, and the accusation that Darth Sidious is in control of the Senate. Even the minds of the Jedi are shrouded. I really like that motif and it's there from the very beginning where GL shrouds Coruscant in fog.

18. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Unfortunately, the trailers for AOTC kinda ruined the mystery

19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I actually didn't see any of the trailers for Episode II so for me it wasn't (although I assumed he was the Sith apprentice).

20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    But thus his character didn't have much screen time, and that's what people are not pleased with, Saruman also showed up since FotR.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree that he should have had more screen time but not at the expense of the mystery surrounding him in AOTC. He had no purpose in TPM and so I don't find any reason to include him. However, the scene with Obi-Wan and the bust would have been interesting if included and I also like his cut scenes with Padme on Geonosis.

CoolyFett likes this.
  22. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

He was a bada$$. He could hold his own against Yoda . . . somewhat. And Obi-Wan was never able to defeat him.

23. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I think Dooku's great. Very interesting villain.

Side note: now that they have both Dooku and Tarkin in TCW, wouldn't it be great to have a Hammer-style episode featuring them interacting?

24. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm sure there's tension from Tarkin's descendants staking Lee in the chest repeatedly. :p

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Dooku's twist could have been great but everything in the marketing for that movie ever (and things mentioned before) flat-out stated he was a Sith so the big reveal in the movie ain't that big at all. Still, it's fun to see Christopher Lee say anything. I actually like his performance in TCW cartoon movie more because it's the only time we get to see him be a full-on Sith and main bad guy. He's background all through Ep. 2 and his Ep. 3 screentime is ... limited, to say the least.