main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit YODA TRILOGY

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LandoThe CapeCalrissian, Dec 31, 2012.

1. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    Why have we not seen a essential Yoda trilogy up until this point in time.

Its clear Yoda is a big time fan favorite and while there is so much untapped potential before the Phantom Menace, I personally feel this needs to be put on top priority.

I would like a Trilogy that detailed flashbacks as Yoda as an apprentice and when he was also teaching Jedi under his tutelage.

Something set before all the popular names of the prequel trilogy. Id like to see Yoda around 450-600 years old in these novels as the present time of the main story, also using flashbacks as I stated above..

This would be so epic

2. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd defiantly check it out.

fistofan1 likes this.
  3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    You'd check it out in a boldly rebellious manner? :p

TrakNar and fistofan1 like this.
  4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I guess that means pirate it? :D

Or, if that's not quite bold enough, hold up your nearest bookstore and steal only the Yoda books.

TrakNar, RC-1991 and CooperTFN like this.
  5. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    I just don't understand how this hasn't been made... Like you would think this would've been made over The Black Fleet Crisis

6. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I think such trilogy book would be widely popular. I'm guessing there will be a Yoda novel...someday.

7. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    Didn't they not dig into Yoda because Lucas said no to Yoda's past. The best we have is Yoda: Dark Rendezvous.

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe we will find out more about Yoda with Episode 7. More books would be great though

9. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I'd love to read some of Yoda's pre-TPM adventures. However, I don't want any origin stories for him. Now that Sidious has a backstory, Yoda's one of the few mysteries left in SW.

10. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I knew this wasn't an announcement thread when I read the title.:(:mad:

11. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Which was barely even about Yoda at all :rolleyes:

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yet was still excellent.

RC-1991 likes this.
  13. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Hell, I'd probably put Y: DR in my top 10 EU novels, dorky title and all.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Why does it have to be a trilogy? Think of all the information that was in the Darth Plagueis novel.

The EU has way too many series/trilogies/duologies just for the sake of having them. They should just do standalone novels. And the ones that are actually popular, with people actually asking for a sequel, will then get a sequel. Such a wonderful, unique, revolutionary idea, huh?

TrakNar and Danzo like this.
  15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, inclined to agree with Summer Dreamer. Liked most of the stand-alones in the recent EU, and iirc they're said that's the plan (stand-alones and trilogies) for the immediate future.

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Ugh, not the Hollywood model, please.

"That made money? Good, get me a sequel!"

If something's conceived as a standalone story, let it be a standalone story. If something's conceived as a bigger story, do it as a duology or trilogy, whatever it requires. The trilogy is a great storytelling model, and it hasn't been used for years. Everything's either been megaseries or standalones, with no room for regular old series. I'd actually point at Darth Plagueis as an example of the flaw in that system -- it packed a lot in because it had to pack it in, but the downside was that we got a skim-the-high-points biographical effort that had to strain to fit everything in and still didn't give us as much as it could have. Had it been split up into a duology, giving Luceno the time to develop more of a storyline for each half and to elaborate on more of what was going on rather than just turning the second half of the book into a game of connect-the-other-works, I think it could have delivered far more of its potential.

Not everything has to be expanded, but the last thing we have too much of in the current EU is series.

TrakNar and cthugha like this.
  17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    CN wasn't that long--holy crap, Patterns of Force is four years old. I need to go lie down.

DarthBoba likes this.
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Standalones don't need to be biographies. Each "part" in the Plagueis novel could have been its own book. Though I think it's stronger the way it is.

Besides, this is how Star Wars started. A standalone at first, which became successful, and got sequels. Same with the Zahn trilogy.

19. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Both the original SW trilogy and the Zahn trilogy were originally conceived as trilogies, though; hell, SW was supposedly envisioned as a nine part series, though Lucas obviously lost interest in that. Obviously a film is a bit different than a novel, so he did make ANH slightly more standalone by adding the Death Star sequence at the end, but it was definitely just a part of the story.

20. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, the Zahn trilogy was always marketed as both 1) "the saga continues" and 2 "part ______ of a three-part cycle". HTTE was never standalone.

21. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    Nah, I completely disagree, the book could be filled with characters never seen before, different storylines going on at once. So much potential for a trilogy. Jedi, Dark Jedi, old school Star Wars lore. Whats not to like about that.....

Plus I think id be awesome if we read about Yoda in a modified ship kicking ass in a space battle...

22. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  23. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012

youre probably the only person who wouldn't be interested in a Yoda series of books.

24. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    :p Never said I wasn't. It's just that "Yoda in a modified ship kicking ass" immediately reminded me of the recently released Yoda's Jedi Starfighter toy, which appears to be a custom-modified ship.

25. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    hhahhahaha ok