main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What Star Trek (DVD, series) set would be good to start ?

Discussion in 'Community' started by BaronNoir, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    To be fair it's been a quite a while since I last watched it, so my opinion isn't exactly concrete.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'd say there are bits of every series that's worth watching, but TNG and DS9 are the Best IMO.

3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    TNG has The Best of Both Worlds, The Inner Light, The Measure of a Man, Sins of the Father, Chain of Command and any episode with Q in it is always a gem. It's got its fair share of stinkers, especially in the first two seasons, but it is still an excellent show.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    All of them have at least a couple seasons' worth of bad or mediocre episodes.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. Any episode with Q in it is worth watching. Q driving everybody crazy, pushing Picard's or Janeway's buttons and just generally being a exasperating nuisance can be pretty funny.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    That's pretty good for TOS considering it was only 3 seasons to begin with. :p

7. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    That he was. Q was someone I could never see as a villain, but more like excellent comic relief.

Speaking of John DeLancie...boy, he's aged badly. I could barely recognize him on those episodes of Breaking Bad. His character's arc there was pretty damn tragic, though. :(

8. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Exactly. :D

9. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    I loved the interaction with Sisko.

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Then you should read Q-in-Law.

Q-in-Law totally should have been an episode. It was screamingly funny.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    TOS films 2, 3, 4 & 6 would be a solid place to start- although there are a small handful of TOS episodes one might try for context that aren't too cheesy (ignoring TV production tropes of the time).

No matter what series you go with, though, there will be cheese of their era, be it 60's, 80's or 90's. However, it tends to dissipate more as you progress forward in time (TOS has way more cheese, TNG has less as it progresses, etc) thoguh there'll always be the random episode or subplot that doesn't work the way they probably hoped.

DS9 is the darkest of the shows, so i suppose one could say has the least amount of cheese- but even that takes 3 or 4 seasons to really hit that point.

12. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I was raised on TNG and it will forever have a special place in my heart. But I also like to read/watch creative works in the order that they were made -- personally I think it's more entertaining that way, and you get to see how ideas evolved.

So I say go with TOS. As has been stated, yes it has lots of cheese, but that's part of the charm. (And you better get used to it if you want to get into Star Trek!) And it's not just because it's the original -- it really is a good show and very entertaining. Also, the first season of TNG was definitely bogged down by its attempts to imitate some of the (not so good in the 1980's) elements of TOS; it would probably be more...palatable...if you had an idea of where the writers and producers were coming from.

I never got much into the later series, though I have no complaints about what I did see of them. I've heard good things about DS9.

13. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

psh. i mean threatening to sexually assault a woman is pretty vile but declaring your intention to torture brannon braga just makes you a star trek fan

Darth Guy likes this.
  14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    To be fair, he wrote some good TNG eps and his partnership with Ronald D. Moore resulted in "All Good Things..." and First Contact. It's just when he got to the EP role in Voyager and Enterprise (and maybe 'cause he lost Moore) that he got insufferable.

15. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    also i thought the crazed stalker fan might have adopted a klingon last name when i first read it but then i realized he's probably just filipino