main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What are your Star Wars literature resolutions for 2013?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMasterKeno, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    You will enjoy Legacy.

Not convincing you, Glover - telling you.

:p

2. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Pretty much I've vowed to not buy anymore post ROTJ EU until I find out if the new movies are gonna screw up the timeline or not.

3. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    Not buy any of it unless I can get it secondhand, because book prices in this country are too high to waste my money in case my liking for the fandom evaporates with whatever Disney does.

4. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Finish my novels collection with these books:
    Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void
    Rogue Planet
    The Clone Wars
    The Clone Wars: Wild Space
    The Clone Wars: No Prisoners
    The Last Jedi
    Scoundrels
    X-Wing: Rogue Squadron
    X-Wing: Wraith Squadron
    Vector Prime
    Edge of Victory I: Conquest
    Edge of Victory II: Rebirth
    Dark Journey
    Traitor
    Inferno
    Revelation
    Invincible
    Conviction
    Crucible
    Also finish up my Legacy comics collection.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Hmm, if Star Wars writers in general count, I'll pick up Stackpole's final Crown Colonies book, and I'd like to look into some of Hambly's original fiction. And I'll continue to hope that Stover hasn't completely disappeared from the Earth. Speaking of which, has anything more come of the rumor about Stover writing a commando book? If that happens I will pick up a new Star Wars book for the first time in a few years.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Some more I'm thinking of
    -Read non Star Wars books from Star Wars authors
    -Finish Lost Tribe of the Sith, Revan, Red Harvest, Knight Errant novel and whatever else comes out this year

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't like TTT at all; I thought Han and Leia, and to some extent Mara, were written well in it, but that's it.

I liked Vector Prime, although it wasn't my favorite EU novel. I didn't get around to the rest of the series for various reasons; the announcement of the ST has renewed my interest in that era.

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The NJO is a great series imo but it is dark. It gets way worse before it gets better. I like it because it is dark and makes you ponder things. This series unlike DNT/LOTF/FOTJ has hope in it. Sure things get messed up but I never lost the feeling that that the good guys would win. After my reading of Vector Prime that was what kept me going.

9. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008
    I absolutely love it without a doubt. It's really dark though, you gotta prepare yourself for something that's completely different than the star wars you're used to, and to me that's a good thing. I like the maturity, not in the fact that it has that darkness, but rather it's taken to the next level and offers something more than just the usual adventure.

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    It doesn't shirk on death. It makes you think about it. The characters that died has a reason/ purpose etc. It made me realize that we aren't invincible. It also makes you question things. Makes you see that the world is more than just Black and White. There are many shades of grey and that our actions have consequences etc. This is the pinnacle of Star Wars to me.

11. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Start and finish the Bantam era, the NJO, and the Legacy era sometime this year.

12. GrandMasterKatarn

GrandMasterKatarn Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 8, 2008
    TOR: Annihilation
    Cloak of Deception (if I can stomach it)
    The Phantom Menace novelization*
    Attack of the Clones novelization*
    Jedi Trial
    The Clone Wars novelization*
    Revenge of the Sith novelization*
    A New Hope novelization*
    The Empire Strikes Back novelization*
    Return of the Jedi novelization*
    The Zahn-Stackpole-Allston novel saga
    The Black Fleet Crisis trilogy
    The New Rebellion

Non Star Wars books:
    Honor Harrington: War of Honor
    Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
    Halo: Silentium
    Vorkosigan Saga: Brothers In Arms
    Stranded

*just to try and see if there are any clues to hint at the seventh film/Sequel Trilogy

13. DarthApprentice

DarthApprentice Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2011
    Mine would be to repurchase Spectre of the Past, lent it to a buddy whom I dont talk to anymore, and to continue reading EU works that are upcoming.

14. Jedi_Glover

Jedi_Glover Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    In that case I really do need to get it then

15. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Definitely, I've been on Knight Errant for almost 3 months, Anyway...
    Finish all the books up to TFU2, start comics with TotJ and await Episode7 news concerning EU...
    EDIT: I almost forgot, get through the Sith inquisitor, Jedi knight, Agent, and trooper storylines on TOR

16. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Non-Star Wars: get through Empires and Barbarians by Peter Heather.

17. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    Not really a resolution per se; that leads to despair and guilt if I don't manage it, which leads to the Dark Side. I chiefly plan to try and finish up the first wave of Stackpole's X-Wing novels: I just need to read The Bacta War. Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor is one that I'm particularly curious about. And I want to read Timothy Zahn's book, Allegiance (I know about the reviews, but that's okay, I still want some old school Galactic Civil War action with the Big Three in their absolute prime). Would also like to start up with going through the short stories of The Lost Tribe of the Sith.

I wish I could read faster too, if I could, I would take a nostalgia trip and revisit Heir to the Empire, and juxtapose the feeling of nostalgia and the certainty of 1991 that this was as close to Star Wars VII as I would ever see with the feeling that I will have the happy opportunity to see 2 different versions of how things unfold post-RotJ.

Non-SW books: Memories of Ice (third of Steve Erickson's Malazan series), So Vile a Sin and The Room With No Doors (old Doctor Who novels), and maybe Fire on High (Star Trek: New Frontier) with a more distant maybe in The Wounded Sky (TOS Star Trek). These with short stories scattered throughout, in between: Sherlock Holmes, Robert E. Howard, H.P. Lovecraft. And my continuing read through of the old G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero comics.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You know what, maybe I'll participate. Why not?

I will read at least one of these in 2013: the Han Solo trilogy (Daley) or the Lando trilogy.

Skimmed/hated them as a kid, and all I've heard from others is what I was missing. So I'll give it a shot as a mature reader.

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    True fact: anyone who doesn't like the Daley HSA has his or her status as a Star Wars fan formally revoked by the Han, Adventure, and Vibrancy Appreciation Commission.

Those who haven't read it are on double secret probation.

RC-1991 likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I knew that it'd get your attention. :p I expect to be chided by PG as well.

21. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I...I...I've never actually read Vector Prime; I was 5 when it came out and after RotS I just never got to it. Of course I knew Chewie died in it due to the Fact Files but that's it. In fact there's a few of the lesser NJO books I need to catch, though Balance Point -- the last one I read -- was a disappointment.
    [face_blush]

22. Shira_French_Cheese

Shira_French_Cheese Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2010
    Suffer my way through the last Bane book.

23. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    I have absolutely no agenda when it comes to reading. Nothing in 2013 has me excited. I'll probably listen to crucible and scoundrels, but only if I have left over audible credits.

24. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Allow me to chide you as well, Jello.

They are awesome, you need to read them before someone bans you, and they have this unrepentent, campy feel to them that much of the modern EU lacks. After reading them this year I can see exactly why Stover emulated Daley and Smith with Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.

25. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    My resolution is to actually begin to read the EU. Not just the sourcebooks and Wookiepedia, but the novels themselves

Force Smuggler likes this.