main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will they know who Padme is?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Allana_Rey, Dec 30, 2012.

1. JaimePrater

JaimePrater Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    The best bet for Episodes 7-8-9 is to stay as far away from the Prequel trilogy as possible, build as many sets as possible, very very limited CGI and of course hosting The Big 3.

2. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Unless I'm wrong and these deleted scenes with her family aren't considered a part of the official story and that her background...ah, crap!. It's a mess, no matter how you put it.

What the hell was GL thinking? Padme's background should have been more obvious; it being that she had lost her enire entire family and the reason why the crown had passed down to her.

3. kainee

kainee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2012
    I think they cut them because they wanted to keep the story as efficient as possible because they were afraid of losing people's attention. I agree and wish that they had kept them. I think the same for the establishment of the Alliance scenes for RotS too since I think their inclusion would help emphasize just how much Padme lost in addition to her husband since I don't think a lot of people realize that everything Padme wanted in life was lost, including the Republic and that everything she fought for was for naught. I also feel like the funeral scene where Padme's family is featured would actually make more sense with the AotC deleted scenes in the movie since then you realize that last time you saw the somber family walking by the coffin was on Naboo when they met Anakin.

4. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    The Jedi didn't take Luke to Naboo because they knew It would be the first place Palps would look if he found about their existence. Whereas he had no reason to think the boy would be brought to Tatooine, because Palps knew Shmi had been killed, per dialogue in ROTS.

Episode Swag and Dra--- like this.
  5. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I know that they were trying to hide their existence. That part makes sense to me, too. It's this whole family still existing on Naboo thing that's got me bothered. How do you write them back in? It just seems awkward if you ask me. It just rings of a Maury TV show, where familys find each other through DNA and such. LOL.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That is pretty bad

7. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    He thought they were dead so why would he be looking. Besides Bail would probably have more contact with Palps and Vader than they wold. Also using Skywalker as Lukes last name is a bit of giveaway anyway

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm sure Palpatine kept an eye out just in case. Can't be too careful

9. startravellerearth

startravellerearth Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2012
    I'm sure they'll learn of their mother including the life she and their father went through.

Maybe in a tv show where young Luke & Leia learn of their mother's and father's pasts together. And in the movie they already know and look through holograms of the family.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  10. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Please don't give Lucas more bad ideas as he tends to do them.

11. Lord TW

Dec 25, 2012
    IF he found out about their existence, and started the search again. It's all in the dialogue of the films. On Tatooine, Even tho Luke had Skywalker last name, he lived on the Lars homestead, so it is not quite that easy. Vader may have figured it out, but Palps never heard the name Lars...whereas, he knew Amidala or Naberri or whatever their names were, with great familiarity.

12. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Which dialougue and which film since Luke and Leia didnt become related until RTJ.

Again Bail would have had more contact with Palps and Vader than anyone. Giving Leia to him was extremly risky. What's funny is that both Yoda and Obi-wan don't even bat an eyelid over it.

Again letting Luke keep his last name was also risky. It would not take a geunies to work out that a person called Skywalker on Tatoonie might have a connection to Anakin. Why take the chance and why would Owen take the risk with him and his wife. Why doesn't Ben or Yoda train them up from birth. Remember these kids are ment to be the only hope.

Its basicaly a hiding of children by disorganised hippy's.

Ironically the original idea was for Lukes sister to be hidden away being trained on another planet

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This thread has entered the Twilight Zone...
    [​IMG]
    POPULATION: 1
    "This thread is Joey Arnold's world. We're all just living in it".

JoeyArnold and Admiral_Volshe like this.
  14. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I think they should definitely mention Padme just to tie the PT and the ST together.

15. Lord TW

Dec 25, 2012
    I
    Palps said to Anakin that Shmi died, in Ep III. That is the dialogue to which I refer.

I agree giving Leia to Bail seems questionable, but can only guess that no one on Coruscant paid close enough attention to the Aldereanean adoption system. And Bail probably knew enough to play it off as an "opportunity to get past all this Jedi stuff."

Beginning Around the time of the release of AOTC, there were a lot of threads speculating that Vader would never go back to Tatooine...as shown at the beginning of ANH. So ironically, the boy may have been safer there. Hiding in plain sight, as it were. Additionally, it's in the outer rim...not easy to get there.

We don't know what Obi-Wan said to Owen and Beru. Chances are they had no idea what happened to Anakin - maybe even by the time they died! That is, they might not have realized he was Vader. We just know that Owen didn't really like Anakin. Doesn't mean they wouldn't raise the baby as their own.

Finally, why they didn't train him: again, don't know. Can speculate that they were waiting to see if other Jedi had survived the purge...or maybe waiting until Luke was old enough to handle all the news and training with maturity....or most likely, maybe waiting for the right moment, which happened to be the theft of the Death Star plans.

In essence, none of this really matters. A screenwriter can fairly expect the audience to come up with rational explanations. None of these things are great leaps in logic. It's just that some SW fans insist on exploring minutiae to get answers that won't satisfy them anyway. That behavior can lead to a lot of dissatisfaction, you know....

16. FryingpoorGreedo

FryingpoorGreedo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2012
    I imagine uncle Owen did know from the "that's what I'm afraid of line" in ANH. At least that's how I always interpreted it

DowClimber and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. Lord TW

Dec 25, 2012
    I think that is fair, at least after the first four films. But it can also be interpreted as, "This a-hole Anakin comes in here, gets all snotty because he got his mother back when we couldn't, then flies out of here on some damn fool mission, leaving his family, who clearly needs him." And Owen simply doesn't want his adopted son doing the same thing.

18. FryingpoorGreedo

FryingpoorGreedo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2012
    True and we know he thinks everyone should farm apparently lol. I imagine they would know I mean you would think Obi-Wan would warn them then again, we know what a liar he is!

Episode Swag likes this.
  19. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I hope so, at the very least a painting, a mention, or in the movies they discover who she is. Didn't like how the DNT approached it . Perhaps even include Padme's niece Pooja, who was the Senator of Naboo and friends with Leia

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I was fine with them getting info from R2 but that sub-plot with Alema was annoying. The one that showed the Younglings being killed

21. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012

I was a huge fan and Luke and Leia finding out about Padme, but NO fan of Darth Denning's cheap plot device which cheapened Padme's death even more. I remember on the TOSwhen they had messages boards and Sue Rostini would talk to us that I'd plead for some closure there, but R2 being voyeuristic roboperv wasn't exactly what I had in mind.

kainee likes this.
  22. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Yeah but Anakin had been a slave there, his mother was captured and killed there. All in all he had pretty terrible memories about the place....terrible memories that may drive him to...i don't know....blow it up with some kind of super weapon.

It really didn't seem like a very good place to hide the future saviour of the galaxy to me, especially at his step brothers place, where his mom is buried. Even if he wasn't inclined to wipe the planet out, he may want to pop in to visit her grave from time to time.

23. Lord TW

Dec 25, 2012
    I suppose so. But it didn't happen. Heck, I don't get to go back to places I LIKE twice - eg, Hawaii - so it's probably fair to say it's even harder to get back to someplace you hate. Even if a rumor told me I had a son there.

Plus, maybe "Skywalker" is like "Singh" or "Smith" - really popular names. :)

kainee and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  24. DowClimber

DowClimber Jedi Padawan

Jan 26, 2013
    I agree that it's a bit strange that they let Bail Organa adopt Leia on a whim and that Luke keeps his last name. I always wondered why they waited so long to train them, too, and why Yoda is so hesitant about training their last hope in ESB. However, this fan theory kind of sheds new light on it for me - perhaps they were so hesitant about training them because these are Darth Vader's children and perhaps Yoda and Obi-Wan are scared to death that if they train them they'll end up with two more Anakins.

http://km-515.livejournal.com/746.html

^The fan theory that R2 and Chewie are actually Rebel spies

Episode Swag likes this.
  25. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    They could have some tension in the New Republic between Padme's extended family and Luke and Leia and their families.