main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Childrens Reaction To Watching TESB

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Blue_Jedi33, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    This is here because the focus is on TESB, but it does branch out in a generic way to the entire sage.

As most of you I have thought long and hard as to what order to show the movies to people that have never watched them.

The reaction of these children that don't know about the "No, I am your father" line in TESB scene is typical for a person who doesn't know, even today the cinematic shock for new people watching these movies happens.

So with Episode VII coming out there might be people that have never watched the movies but maybe might get interested in it this round. I guess the value of showing the OT before the PT is made very clear in these videos.

Some of the comments on YouTube show that even as late as 16 some saw this and were shocked long after the movies were released. It seems amazing to me through popular culture, people may not know this, but I guess some don't. Thus TESB continues to be one of the best movies of all time because of that one line. And should be shown to first time viewers before any of the PT.

Imagine we had to wait three years to find out from Yoda in ROTJ back in the 80's, what the true answer was. Some of us had the reaction of the little girl in the second video. In denial because bad guys lie, to trick people. And like Luke said "That's Impossible", we tended to agree with him back then. And not much has changed for the first time viewer today.

Rotten Tomato score for TESB is huge 97/94, the Godfather has the highest combined score at 100/97 by comparison. I think the surprise is the major contributing factor to this score.

Yunners likes this.
  2. Trask Ulgo

Trask Ulgo Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 8, 2012
    I'm assuming that most children don't see Vader as a human. True, we get to see the back of his head briefly, but I don't think that is enough for children to rationalize,"Oh, yeah he's human he could be someone's father."

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Cheating death, anyone?

4. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Ive seen these vids before, very funny.

Also for kids who have not seen ESB but have heard of darth vader it is interesting seeing their reaction to the reveal in episode 3

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Some of us did. :p

And I had the reaction of the little girl in the second video. It wasn't so much that I didn't see Vader as human, but he had just cut off Luke's hand, and committed how many other atrocities up until that point in the saga? I assumed the below-the-belt lie was just another evil deed.

6. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I don't remember my exact reaction in 1980 (I was six years old) - but I don't think I ever doubted it was true. I know the filmmakers claimed that smaller children would think Vader was lying (as many did), but the communication between Luke & Vader right before the end all but much confirms he was telling the truth.

What I wanted to find out in ROTJ was how & why it happened (in fact, it was after that first viewing that my cousin's boyfriend told me that there would a total of nine episodes, and that three would be about Vader, Obi-Wan & Yoda - they're the films I was really looking forward to, even more than ROTJ, and the wait turned out to be 19 years, instead of 6).

7. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I can't remember if I believed it or not. But that was the longest three years of my life after that!

8. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Obviously those videos only have value if you can compare them to videos of kids who watched the series in episode order. I don't have such videos, but I did watch the series in episode order with a small group of preteens who had never seen any of the movies before, and based on that experience I have to say that episode order is absolutely the best viewing order with the best and most intense plot twists.

9. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Machete order preserves the most mystery possible. Here is a link to the full explanation. http://static.nomachetejuggling.com/machete_order.html a quick summary is that it doesn't ruin the Vader/father reveal or the Anakin/Vader reveal by viewing them in the following order: IV, V, II, III, VI

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't even recall caring about the twist. Maybe because ESB as a whole kind of bored me as a kid.

11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    My son hasn't watched the OT yet but I did just watch ROTS with him and I can say he was pretty shocked that not only was Palpatine the Sith Lord but also that Anakin turned to the dark side. That kids reaction in the first video was pretty close to my son's when Anakin cut off Mace Windu's hand.

-NaTaLie- and Count Yubnub like this.
  12. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Yep, my cousins kids watched all 6 films and when episode 3 came around they were totally shocked palpatine was a bad guy and that anakin became vader

13. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    I'm having a hard time seeing how luke so easily believes a guy who just chopped his hand that he is his father?

14. sea horse

sea horse Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2012
    Biggest Bombshell EVER!

15. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I remember a kid recently watching ESB for the first time. When she saw Yoda she exclaimed, "Wow! Yoda's real in this one!"

Says it all really...

V-2, _Catherine_ and KilroyMcFadden like this.
  16. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    he doesn't easily believe it. he doesn't believe that Vader is his father until the next movie when he is told by bem and yoda... months later.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  17. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    he doesn't easily believe it. he doesn't believe that Vader is his father until the next movie when he is told by ben and yoda... months later.

18. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    he doesn't easily believe it. he doesn't believe that Vader is his father until the next movie when he is told by ben and yoda... months later.

19. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012

20. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    Wow. major malfunction with the phone. Sorry about the multiple posts.

21. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    I was about 10 when I first saw TESB. At that time I was watching it on TV and the third episode was going to show the next week. I know that I had some sleepless nights during that week, refusing to believe it.

22. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    This twist is overrated and some videos don't prove anything. A lot of kids didn't even believe it. I'd say it's a three year wait for ROTJ that made it more famous.

My future kids will be watching the saga in the episode order (with TCW thrown in between). A hero becoming a villain is more shocking than a bad guy claiming he's a hero father. It's not as if Luke joins him, after all.

And it's not just kids. I've read some posts on another board by adults who were surprised by the turn of events in ROTS. They thought the Republic was winning and certainly didn't expect Anakin to turn (unlike some PT haters here, they thought he was a decent guy for the most part).

23. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Is he watching TCW too?

24. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    I was 11 at the time, and while I assumed it was a lie, I did allow for the "what if"... And then the "what if" is indeed the truth.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm not sure if he watches it when it normally comes on on Cartoon Network because I'm at work but we've started watching it every Saturday morning together. I think I'm going to buy him the DVDs for his birthday too.