main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Empire still strong after ROTJ

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Spam Bot, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Spam Bot

Spam Bot Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 16, 2012
    I've noted in a lot of the discussions here that there's a general assumption the ST will kick off with a setting in which the Empire is either:

a) in shambles and on the run from the Alliance/New Republic

OR

b) altogether defeated and replaced by a New Republic or power vacuum

I, for one, don't think that it's realistic to assume that the Empire post-ROTJ is in any imminent danger of being dismantled. From what we've seen in the OT, the Rebels are a loose-knit band of systems that are constantly pursued by the inexhaustible resources of the Empire. By ROTJ, all they've managed to do is deter the Empire's use of the same WMD twice and killed their head of state, but that hardly spells doom for an interstellar government.

Think of it this way: In WWII, what would have happened if Hitler had been assassinated, and the nuclear weapon program destroyed? His deputy Herman Goering would have assumed the chancellorship. And there was a line going down from there of people just as ideologically motivated as Hitler himself; Germany would still be warring as fervently as before.

Not a perfect analogy, but here's a quote from Inglourious Basterds that sort of puts what happened at Endor into the right context (IMHO):

"...yes, some Germans will die, and yes, it will ruin the evening, and yes, Goebbels will be very, very, very mad at you for what you've done to his big night... but you won't get Hitler, you won't get Goebbels, you won't get Göring, and you won't get Bormann. And you need all four to win the war."

2. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    The Empire needs to come back in the ST!
    I would love to see Star Destroyers, AT-ATs, Imperial Moffs...

The Empire was still powerful in Episode 6. Blowing up the Death Star and killing Palpatine and Vader doesn't change anything.
    However, the Empire probably won't be as strong as it used to be.

The Alliance needs to be in controle of the Galaxy, but there still needs to be a sort of 'Imperial Remnant' as shown in the books and comics.

I really loved the OT! When, I think of SW, I think of the Empire.

Dra--- likes this.
  3. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    By the way, General Veers needs to come back as well! :)

Fettcrom likes this.
  4. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    Emperor Thrawn!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Veers is too busy trying to advise the king of Westeros :p

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I would like to see a scene in the ST where an old Imperial who has been in hiding is found and put on trial by the Republic (akin to the Nuremberg Trials). General Veers would be a neat choice for this as he is someone we already know. However, it would have to tie in to the plot somehow.

7. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    You are assuming that the strike on Endor was the only attack the Rebels . Look at the SE ending - there is celebration on Courscant. For all we know, this could be a sign that Courscant was liberated at the same time as or shortly after Endor. If Courscant was still imperial, there would not be celebration.

8. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Even if Coruscant was liberated soon after the Battle of Endor, the Rebels should have a hard time trying to conquer the rest of the Galaxy.
    The Galacy is BIG, you know!
    There are still many places left for Imperials to hide.

kainee and Force Smuggler like this.
  9. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Or Veers could be the one who defects to the Alliance.

Another possibility: Veers is a sort of Pellaeon-like figure who tries to keep the peace between the Empire and the Alliance.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh, sweet 8 lb 2 oz baby Jesus, no.

I think the Empire will be pretty much dismantled as Joe Antonetti said--if Coruscant itself is liberated and the head of state and his second in command are dead, there isn't much of an Empire, especially given that the structure of the Empire depended on totalitarian leadership and that leadership is no longer there.

What I think might happen is the galaxy descending into some form of chaos because the Empire has been around long enough that systems no longer remember how to govern themselves. We could say that it's only been around for 23 years and technically that would be so, but even as Chancellor, Palpatine ruled with an iron fist and had ways of eliminating his opposition, so we're going back almost 50 years before we find true democracy. Would different factions rise up and demand to rule the new Republic and would they fight each other for the right to do so?

11. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    By VII, the Rebels have (presumably) had thirty years to week out the Imperials.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  12. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Well, there still are Communists and Pro-Nazis left in the real world too. It has been about sixty years since the end of WW2 and about twenty years since the collapse of the Soviet Union.

By the way, as I said, the Galaxy is a big place.

13. ForceJumpAnakin

ForceJumpAnakin Force Ghost star 4

Dec 24, 2006
    Whether the droids or stormtroopers return, I'd like them to be goofy like in the beginning of ROTS, that was good stuff. I never expected one of them to sarcastically say "you're welcome" to griveious, it was a small moment that gave me a big chuckle.

Also, we need more head bumping into doorway ceilings :)

kainee, darklordoftech and Fettcrom like this.
  14. Fettcrom

Fettcrom Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2004
    Interesting topic.

Realistically the empire wouldn't be completely wiped out. They are a relatively small band of rebels and no doubt after the destruction of the 2nd Death Star some more normal folk may move to the rebel point of view, but the Empire is massive and widespread and presumably controls whatever media there is so they will just spin this off as a small band of terrorists causing trouble which may even get folk to join the Empire.

If the OT main stars are involved it's fair to assume that the ST will be a fair few years after ROTJ so there is no real way to guess what the state of the galaxy is or the balance of power that exists. Possibly even a 3rd party might have tried to move in after the demise of The Emperor.

15. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I've always thought that by ROTJ, the Alliance was much more solidified, united, and massive. Hence the scale of the Endor battle versus Yavin. Rebellion spread like wildfire in those years, and I think the Galaxy was way past any initial naivete about the Empire. During the Clone Wars and even ten years beyond it's reasonable for a majority of people to believe the lies of Palpatine, but truth is like a virus.

It's fascinating to see, and worth studying in real life, what happens when a society crumbles.

What I'm curious about (like everyone) is where is the drama going to come from in VII, on a societal level. The theme of "passing on what you have learned" is easy to guess - Luke as mentor - Leia discovering her gifts.

BUT WHAT HAPPENED IN THE LAST 30 YEARS? 2015 can't come soon enough...lol[face_nail_biting]

16. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I hope the entire galaxy is not united under the New Republic by the time of Episode VII. I would like to see the trilogy explore the moral complications of uniting a galaxy where many planets, systems, factions want to remain independent.

17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Forced unification = the way of the Sith

18. THX_1138biggs

THX_1138biggs Jedi Master star 1

Jul 9, 2007
    I think the Imperial presence will still be in the movies. But there will be a new rebellion of sorts.... perhaps against this new republic...

And it is there where we may find our new antagonists....

TreborSabreon and Dra--- like this.
  19. I_Died_Once

I_Died_Once Jedi Master

Mar 14, 2005
    Well, in ANH, it was announced in a board room onboard the first death star that the senate had been dissolved and "regional governors" would control their territories (or something to that effect, someone can come along with an exact quote) so it would not be entirely out there for some sort of contingency plan to be in place for there to be a successor to the Empire. At the very least, they would have get each territory to re-join the New Republic, theres a lot they could do here.

20. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    I agree with this guy!

I_Died_Once likes this.
  21. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    How about they make a an alliance with the Mandalorians and we see some kick ass ships, warriors and troopers.

22. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Well Russia is hoaching with gangsters after the USSR fell. Maybe the underworld could have a humungous influence?

TreborSabreon and FRAGWAGON like this.
  23. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

Fantastic post! I agree, which is why in the Zahn novels the Empire was still a force (no pun intended) to be reckoned with.

Jedi Knight Fett and Dra--- like this.
  24. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    This is exactly my point. I could see these separate factions causing chaos in the galaxy as they struggle against each for more territory and our heroes would be faced with the difficult moral question of whether or not it is right to unify the galaxy to end the chaos even if that means subduing these warring factions. I think there is potential for a lot of conflict with this storyline; not just on a galactic scale but also on a personal level between characters.

kainee, TreborSabreon and Dra--- like this.
  25. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Your premise is pretty good on face value. I happen to agree with you that the Empire didn't fall over night just because of the events of ROTJ. However, what you failed to calculate into your equation is that we will be joining the Saga about 30 years after ROTJ, in which case the Imperials will be reduced to remnants without the Dark Side of the Force to aid their evil efforts.

Likely we will see a power sytruggle between several different factions as well as some worlds vehemently loyal to the Empire still fighting, led by ne of the last Imperial figureheads whom we will be introduced to.

TreborSabreon likes this.