main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Favourite Harry Potter Film?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Deputy Rick Grimes, Dec 31, 2012.

?

Favourite Harry Potter Film

1. Philosopher's Stone

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. Chamber of Secrets

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Prisoner of Azkaban

25 vote(s)
    52.1%
  4. Goblet of Fire

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  5. Order of the Phoenix

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Half-Blood Prince

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  7. Deathly Hallows Part 1

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  8. Deathly Hallows Part 2

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Prisoner of Azkaban

I don't think any of the others comes even close.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Taken together, Deathly Hallows is so far above the rest that it isn't close. I'm particularly fond of Part I, which I think of as my favorite individual film. The other films don't begin to approach what DH has, at least to me.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Deathly Hallows are the next two best after OOTP for me.

4. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Prisoner of Azkaban mainly because of my werewolf love.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I love Deadly Hellos Parts 1 and 2, Prisoners of Agorath, and Half Blood Artist Formerly Known as Prince.

6. Platelet

Platelet Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    Here's my loose ranking:
    Half-Blood Prince and Prisoner of Azkaban
    Deathly Hallows 1 and Order of the Phoenix
    Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets
    Deathly Hallows 2 and Goblet of Fire

This is about how I would rank the books too, with the exception of Deathly Hallows. It's my favorite book, but the first movie was a bit slow, and I was extremely disappointed in the second.

I've rewatched most of the movies with Rifftrax, which makes even my least favorites quite enjoyable.

7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Book-wise for me my top 3 are Deathly Hallows, Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix. My least favorite would be Half-Blood Prince

8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I’d say PoA is when the series “grew a beard.” Plus, Sweet Jeebus that wasn’t just a plot twist, that was a plot pretzel!

Oh no, theMentoris in league with the Villain!
    Wait…the Villain isn’t really the villain.
    The real villain is…the family rat?

9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I think PoA is the best book, and it is a very good movie too. Not sure if I think Deathly Hallows is better, haven't seen PoA really since it was in the cinema so will have to re-watch it to remember better and make a good comparison.

I have the complete film series now so I will watch them all at some point.

10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    OotP was the first one I saw in theatres. I got multinerdgasmic when the Order and the Death Eaters threw down, followed by the Best. Mage. Duel. Ever!!! between Voldemort and Dumbledore. Finally, something to top Fin Raziel vs. Bavmorda!

(Gandalf vs. Saruman was crap-tastic)

11. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Order of the Phoenix is the most frustrating of the bunch for me. It's poorly edited, lacks focus and frankly lacked the snap crackle and pop of the book. Apparently Yates had put together a 3-hour version that WB had whittled down. I'm not sure why it ended up at 2 hours when the norm for these films is typically about half an hour more, or at least 20 minutes. We could have then found out about... y'know... the prophecy.

Still, there's something neat about Jason Isaacs, Helena Bonham Carter, David Thewlis, Brendan Gleeson, George Harris and Gary Oldman all being involved in wizard battle. That's still the chief appeal of the films for me - the amazing support casts that they assembled. One thing I'm extremely grateful to that hack Chris Columbus for.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I've only seen the first 4 or 5, and I didn't like any of them. I remember the first two being boring, PoA being annoying with its movie-only plot holes and stark shift in directorial style (which can't just be written off as corresponding to the books' shift in tone), and I barely recall GoF to the point that I'm not even sure if I saw the subsequent installment. And for a film series that from the first one's release was clearly going to make it to its final installment, it was remarkably poorly planned in terms of inter-film continuity-- in both plot and style.

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    well the 1st movie came around the time of the 4th book and the Final book came out a week before the 5th movie.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well, there's always the inevitable remake in 10-20 years ;)

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    No! No remake.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I never cared for OOTP as a book, far too long and as I recall very padded out with a lot of rather dull stuff. I don't remember much happening until the end, so the movie was right to be shorter but it should have been better than it was. I agree though it has a great duel between Voldemort & Dumbledore, much better than the one in the book was.

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. I'd be curious to see a three hour director's cut of OOTP. Cutting out a third of the film was a mistake IMHO. It felt rushed. I'd be OK without the Quidditch sequences, since there isn't very much Quidditch in OOTP any way, but more of Harry's battle of wills with Umbridge, more of Fred and George's antics, Harry's dreams and a longer Death Eater battle would have been nice.

Yeah. Much kudos to Chris Columbus for putting his foot down and insisting that Hogwarts is NOT an LA high school, [face_sick] for pushing for individual adaptations of all seven books and for backing JK Rowling up when she said that she wanted the films to be shot in Britain with a British cast.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Harry Potter should not be remade!!!

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I HIGHLY doubt that Harry Potter will be remade anytime soon, if ever, at least not in this way. To assemble a cast and keep them together for a story that is understood to unfold over 6 to 8 installments, released every 2 or 3 years, is unheard of in film making, never mind the fact that they were still as enthusiastic on the last day of shooting for Deathly Hallows Part 2 as they were on the first day of shooting for The Philosopher's Stone.

20. Platelet

Platelet Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    OOTP is a lot less tedious on a second read, especially if you skip the parts where Harry is shouting and anything with Umbridge. There's some good (and necessary) character development that gets obscured by the main plots, and that was overlooked in the movie, to its detriment. OOTP is where the series really hit its stride for me.

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, the speech that Harry gives to Ron and Hermione in the book, when they ask him to teach them magic was one of the book's better passages and definetly should have made it into the film.

22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Umbridge was the greatest bad guy created by Rowling. She's more hated than Voldemort. Am I right?

23. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed, Umbridge was one of the series' better villains.

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Wouldn't surprise me if Umbridge was in league with Voldemort

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Prisoner of Az-Kaban is the best, most artfully crafted and I think to this day the most classic and universally appealing film in the series. I love them all, and I think I'll give Deathly Hallows 2 a well-deserved second place, but PoA has that certain something special: in the photography, the design, the acting, the score, the events of the plot, the little improvisational moments like the cleaning witch saying "I'll come back later" -- it's a brilliant film for the ages, and transcends the material to a wide degree. 5 stars, A+++, etc.