main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I personally wouldn't slander the OT like that, nor would I be discussing TCW, the prequels, and the OT in the Episode 7 forum's Expanded Universe thread. [face_peace]

2. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Again though TCW is EU though. So it can be discussed

3. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    In relation to Episode 7, sure. The OT and PT? We have forums for those. ;)

4. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Okay... lets see, choose from the EU and OT the characters to fill these important roles for Episode VII...

The Heroes:
    1. The Protagonist (Anakin Skywalker in II-III, Luke Skywalker in IV-VI)
    2. The Lancer (Obi-wan Kenobi in II-III, Han Solo in IV-VI)
    3. The Romantic Interest (Padme Amidala in II-III, Leia Organa in IV-VI)
    4. The Mentor (Qui-Gon Jinn in I, Obi-wan Kenobi in IV)
    5. The Sidekick (Jar Jar Binks in I, Chewbacca in IV-VI)
    The Supporting Cast:
    1. The Grand Master (Yoda in I-VI)
    2. The Master's Council (Mace Windu and other Jedi in I-III)
    Hmm... anything else? What do you guys think?

Here are my picks:
    The Heroes:
    1. The Protagonist: Ben Skywalker
    2. The Lancer: Jaina Solo
    3. The Romantic Interest: ??? (New Character)
    4. The Mentor: ??? (Jacen Solo, Mara Jade Skywalker, Luke Skywalker, or a New Character)
    5. The Sidekick: ??? (Chewie, Jagged Fel, or a New Character)
    The Supporting Cast:
    1. The Grand Master: Luke Skywalker
    2. The Master's Council: Mara Jade Skywalker, Corran Horn, Kyle Katarn, and Cilghal.

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  5. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Attack of The Clones, looks and feels as if it was written on of a piece of toilet paper when, GL was in the **** house. Personally I feel he was surrounded by way too many yes men throughout the making of the entire PT!

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It had pretty vfx though.

7. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Your always raging, big man. Chill you might end up with an ulcer getting that wound up.

8. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    AOTC was the only one of the prequels with a substantive support of another writer: Jonathan Hales.

9. Ulfor-Bombaasa

Ulfor-Bombaasa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 17, 2006
    Off topic: while we are waiting for more information on Episode VII, I thought I would post a video shot at CVI with the help of Daniel Logan commemorating my wife's and my 25th Anniversary.

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    That'd be more for the social thread. :)

11. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Too many cooks then! It was terrible.

12. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Why are we still discussing the prequels in the Episode 7 & the EU thread, exactly?

13. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    That was sort of a rhetorical question, mmkay?

No personal sniping, no getting off-topic. Y'all know the TOS. Follow it.

14. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    aww cute a personal attack. -Darth Boba

Keep on playing this game attacking another forum member and myself. You won't win it, though. :)

15. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I think they're making a big mistake. They should have gone with a major jump in time (preferably a hundred years) or with a new acting cast and focused on the big three when they were in their prime.

The Thrawn Trilogy, in my opinion, is where they should have gone with. But even if they go with an original storyline (which they are, anyway) then it still makes sense to write about these characters in their prime, instead of focusing on them in their golden years. I mean, I can understand having them deal with the remnants of the Empire or any other threat claiming it right after the Emperor had been defeated, but to have go through times of war again while they are really old is a bit much. It diminshes the ordeals and trials they went through while they were younger. I mean, don't they ever get a break? Didn't their hard won victories mean more for the galaxy after all these years?

My point also is that the characters are bigger than the actors and it's these characters are what they should focus on; not the actors, who are over the hill. Let's give someone else a chance to play Star Wars, shall we?

16. Quin'sal'nuruodo

Quin'sal'nuruodo Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Jobertus as a hardcore EU fan I think you hit the nail straight on the head 45 ABY is the appropriate time. Coming up in the Novel world is Crucible a one book story about the big 3 and the getting older. I suspect that if the they are going to use the current EU Crucible will set the stage.

First of all Luke has already made the point in FotJ that he wanted to 'retire' and he certainly has reason to even more so since the fight with aboloth and kryat. Next is Sword of the Jedi which "hopefully" answer the question of the prophacy foretold by Luke for Jaina. This series will also tie in the Fel Empire I hope. After that is the announcement of the continuation of the Legacy Comic which I beg the question Where is Hapes in all of this. We know that their around and Krayts Sith Empire doesn't wish to mess with them. Huh you mean the guys who almost massacred two whole species instantly hmm. My thoughts is all on Allana Solo, she is the key thus my reasoning for her being the main protagonist in the ST along with Ben and Jaina. Ok heres my points.

I think that Krayt wont mess with Hapes because it has become exactly what Jacen saw in his vision. This is made apparent when Krayt goes to leave after the battle in Apocalypse where Luke tells Krayt "I know that Jacen changed the future" to which Krayt retorts "But can you be sure the change will last? Perhaps Ceadus did not change the future. Perhaps he only delayed it." What if not only did Jacen delay Krayt but had a different goal in mind, the setting to make his daughter the most powerful Jedi of all time. With her heritage and training of Jaina, Leia, and most important here master which we all know is coming Ben. She will make Hapes into a force infused society much like the Aing Ti monks where not even a Sith Empire cash in to take on.

Well I rambled sorry but take a look at the news for the continuation of the Legacy series the tie ins for Allana the Hapes Consortium and Ceadus and you'll see as I the potential for a epic and amazing trilogy story line. Please anybody jump in on this possibility whither you like it or hate it, say so and why.

17. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    From a perspective that the EU and films tells a continuous tale perspective, setting it in 45 ABY makes sense.

From a perspective that VII is a sequel to VI and should be accessible to those that only saw the films, or new fans... it makes no sense to use the Expanded Universe events of the Vong War and subsequent struggles. They may use characters (Ben Skywalker, Jaina Solo, and so forth are obvious candidates), they may use settings (Yavin IV's Jedi Academy, Ossus, or so forth), but they will not treat it as sacrosanct or holy writ... because it isn't. Just think about the massive shift we got in Mandalorian Culture with The Clone Wars, or so forth... Lucas is operating under pretty obvious ideas of what storytelling and levels of canon should do.

We've had Jedi Council members resurrected, just to get a different death in The Clone Wars... because it's better for a major figure to die on a television screen then in a book, and even better yet if they die on the movie screen instead of a book. If you apply the same thinking to Episode VII and the Del Rey books you quickly realize that even though they may set it in 45 ABY, that does not mean a seismic shift in the Expanded Universe isn't ahead. Here's some examples of things I see as likely occurrences.

1. Chewie... he's a big movie character, if he's dead we would have seen it on a big screen so he'll be alive... how he's alive will be left to the EU writers.
    2. Ben Skywalker... apparently was never approved by George Lucas, will he be used? Probably... but then there comes the question about who his mother is...
    3. The Solo Twins... if one appears the other shall, as they are forever linked... so the whole Jacen going dark fiasco will probably end up retconed or overwritten... which might bring back Mara Jade.
    4. The Galactic Federation of Free Alliances will not exist (Honestly, the name is a pun...) instead we'll get the New Republic... duh.
    5. Coruscant will be Coruscant, not a bioshaped world being urbanized...

18. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I just hope TPTB don't completely erase the EU as we know it. At this time, we don't know what they will do, as a fan of the EU, I hope it is left intact. The ST will be a completely original story, so I don't think the story itself will have a lot of tie-in to the previously established EU. If TPTB did use Jaina, Ben, or Allana that in itself would be a tie-in to the EU, and would go a long way in satisfying my need to not have the EU as we know it be destroyed (while also adhering to the completely original story line of the ST.) It would be nice if TPTB clarified what their intentions were in this regard.

Also, due to the Disney buyout, Darkhorse will not be doing Star Wars comics any longer, after the current contract expires. So what that means for the comics I don't know other than that I believe Marvel will be doing them henceforth. I'd like to know what it means for the novels, too. Whether Del Rey will continue to do them or (more likely) if Disney's publishing arm will take over when Del Rey's contract is up.

19. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    TPTB has already said the ST will be a completely original story, so it is a given that they will not use events from the EU. If they use the characters from the EU, I will be a happy camper; if they use all new characters to take the place of EU charcaters I will be disappointed, but will begrudgingly accept the change.

20. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    The question still remains, what does Original Story means? anyways, did an OFFICAL Lucasfilm statement come out about that? The group that knew about the deal was very small acording to that dude at disney, so how many people really know about this? The best confirmation of this has been a site that claims they know a guy inside the deal, who said it's an original story. The head of disney or no one offical like Mrs. Kennedy or the Famous GL has not said anything about this right, so it's just spectulation, right?

21. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    No thanks. They are going with characters and a time period, the movie going public can relate to and will pay to watch and root for.

22. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Doesn't original mean never before see, done, written etc?

23. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    That's what I think, but there is the possibility of it meaning something else.

24. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Well I'm just going by the definition of original.

25. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Well, IMO, "original story" would imply that it's not an adaptation. So that would imply, IMO, that they won't be adapting a specific EU novel or series, etc. But I don't recall anyone saying there would be "original characters", etc. I'd say the statement was deliberately vague, and that anyone claiming to know definitively what the ST will be about or what characters will be featured is either Lucas, Arndt, Kennedy, or full of ****.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.