main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Which Star Wars book series is better? Legacy or Fate of the Jedi?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMasterKeno, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I couldn't get through the DNT; they all meshed together in my mind of some crazy bugs and weird characterisation. The only other book I couldn't get through like this trilogy was The New Rebellion.

2. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008
    I think LOTF is much more enjoyable than FOTJ. While I really like some of the new characters in FOTJ (Read: Vestara, love her) I think LOTF is much more profound in how it deals with previous characters.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I found neither of them enjoyable, but that's just me.

4. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Ehh, check them out from the library first (or the first 1 or 2 of each just so you know what you're getting into).

That said, they both have their ups and downs (mostly, imo, wasted opportunities and inconsistent side-plots) so I'm not sure I'd say one is better than the other. I kind of enjoyed them both, but each person has differing opinions on each series, as evident in this thread. So, yeah I'd advise not buying until you're sure you'll read the entirety of the series.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If you hate Tempest and Inferno I highly doubt that you'll like DNT.

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I liked DNT because I'm a big Alema fan, and I actually like Denning's weird stuff.

What kept getting on my nerves were the very obvious and deliberate attempts to discredit much of the NJO, it starts very early in the first book. I kept finding myself saying "I know what you're doing and I don't like it".

xezene, Zeta1127 and Force Smuggler like this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I've gone back and forth on liking and hating the Killiks. I hated Raynar and Alema in DNT but liked them in FOTJ and LOTF respectively. I nearly had freaked out when I saw the preview for Tempest and saw Alema was back. I grew to like her by the end of the book though.

8. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008
    I like the killiks now that they have connection an event that comes from outside of the core star wars timeline. The celestials are quite an interesting idea.

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I wasn't as bothered by them in Apocalypse myself

10. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Out of the three series, I actually enjoyed DN the most, LOTF probably comes second, with FOTJ having been better than LOTF for the first few books, but then it just seemed to fall into circular plotlines that made a lot of FOTJ just seem repetitive and filler. I enjoyed Abeloth as a concept, but just think less would have been more in her case, as having the Rebels defeat Thrawn multiple times isn't how you build a strong villain.

11. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    They're both so terrible. So awful. But if I had to answer I'd say that if you have zero attachment to Jacen Solo or any events of The NJO, you might like LOTF more than FOTJ. As terrible goes, LOTF is more devastating but FOTJ isn't even that. It's just terrible.

12. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The whole war with Corellia in LOTF was stupid and honestly, confused me. It should've just focused on Jacen becoming a Sith

13. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    It never made any sense to me at all why or how Coruscant and Corellia could possibly get into an ideological war after something like the YV war. The series for the most part acts as though the YV war never happened. It was stupid before Jacen fell.

14. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    LOTF was written about 1,000 times better. If it wasn't for "Sacrifice", "Revelation" and especially "Invincible" this series would have been very high quality.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Invincible was a good, well-written book. It just wasn't a good conclusion.

Sacrifice wasn't that bad either, if you subtract the Fett/Mandalore parts, and forget about the continuity errors (like Coruscant's moons).

16. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Personally, I don't understand why people hate these two series so much. Fate of the Jedi, especially I thought was great, what with so many characters and places from past EU being revisited. Just a fun time all around.

I think too many people take this stuff too seriously. I'm not seeing all the bad characterisation etc etc, that so many moan about.

Jedi_Glover and Sinrebirth like this.
  17. DarthApprentice

DarthApprentice Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2011
    For me, I liked FotJ better, and it really had to do with Beyond Shadows. Abyss was the first book I re-read, literally, 8 times before I moved on to another book.

18. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Abyss was that good?

And I loved Sacrifice. Mara-Jade was amazing in that book. Sucks she's gone.

19. DarthApprentice

DarthApprentice Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2011
    I thought it was. Many did not like the series as a whole, but this book for me was great. Once I got to the latter half of the book, I could not put it down.

And I agree about Mara in Sacrifice. And dont get me wrong, I liked LotF too, just not as much as FotJ, mostly because of Abyss.

20. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    I did not feel that sacrifice was written well, and i have a huge problem with Mara dying. I also have an issue with the fact that Jacen did not even make a real sacrifice. I think Del Rey was afraid to kill Allana, so they made something up about sacrificing Ben's love for Jacen.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  21. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Basically don't waste your money on either of these series, if you want a Star Wars novel series go with NJO or even DNT or go read some of the individual novels. DNT had plenty of the same problems as LotF and FotJ, but at least there it was only stretched out for three books, instead of being dragged out for nine books which just made things much, much worse.

LotF had a few more relative high points, but those don't make up for the many incredibly stupid moments. Well, it also helped that up until the end of LotF, there was possibly some hope, but then Invincible's ending is just... really, really, really stupid and illogical. After that, and seeing how bad their idea of a conclusion is, I was a lot less patient with FotJ, and it doesn't help that FotJ sort of retcons parts of LotF, invalidating those ideas. FotJ had a few less idiotic moments, but also fewer good moments (Abyss was slightly decent, but it just got worse after that). There was better continuity between the FotJ writers than during LotF. Maybe because they had learned some lessons from LotF (not like they improved their idea of a plot, which is really sad as Allston and Denning wrote better SW books in the past), or those three writers' styles fit together better, who knows. Also because less happened in FotJ. While LotF had plenty of pet characters and pet plotlines, many of which were neglected in other authors' books (partially because those plots and characters were unimportant to the main plot, partially because of lack of coordination maybe), at least stuff happened in each book. FotJ had several sub-plots dragged out over six, seven books with little changing between the first and last books, instead of just being ignored in other authors' books.

If you have to waste money on one, I'd say LotF is slightly better, relatively speaking. LotF had more worse spots, but it was better planned at least. FotJ's plot was almost literally a work in progress for a good deal of the time. There were... certain complications with the authors, but still, its worrisome when they start out on a nine book series and even by the halfway point are still changing things with the main plot. Not just learning from earlier mistakes, but throwing in new stuff... which means the original plot was incomplete or really minimal. Well, there was plenty of empty space since the main plot barely moved along in most books. And when stuff did start happening rapidly, it was really strange and illogical and still felt repetitive, especially after LotF.

Probably better to just read summaries on Wookieepedia or go read something better (the KotOR comic is recommended, as is the Legacy comic series, which is a completely different story and also the title Legacy is more appropriate for it than LotF and FotJ were).

22. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    (I'm assuming the OP is referring to the Legacy of the Force novels, and not Legacy comics?)

Anyway, it depends on what you intend to do with these books. If you're intending to build a bonfire or need some spare toilet tissue, I say you should collect all of both series. If you're after some engaging reading, I'd say skip both of these stories entirely and do yourself a favor by reading The New Jedi Order novels, then move on to the Legacy comics for your post-NJO fix.

23. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Hmnn. I understand if people feel this way, But i think the novels are still a critical read from both series. But the NJO series was awesome. It is 19 whole books, which will take you awhile, but it's worth it.

24. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    For me whilst I really enjoyed Abyss, Backlash was my major love of the series. It had it's faults but it was by far and large my favourite entry in the series.

25. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't like the direction LotF and FotJ took the universe, too many of my favorite characters were killed and/or ruined to even consider reading either series. I wanted Bantam style smaller conflicts on the backdrop of the recovery from the Yuuzhan Vong War, not something that has too many parallels with the PT.

xezene and GrandMasterKatarn like this.