main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Episode 7 Special effects: What do you expect/hope for?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Lee_, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It looks like a souped-up version of the sort of scenes we see in the TCW series.

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    No, the second one isn't a "video game" nor does it look like one. I'll be impressed when we have videos games from 2016 ready for consumption, until then I laugh at your remark and ignore your silly citing of things that don't exist yet.

Darth Chiznuk , FRAGWAGON and LawJedi like this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Lego Star Wars managed to make a pretty impressive Battle of Coruscant- with the battleships and scenery not being rendered Lego-style, only the ship you're controlling.

4. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Cool. I played the first one of those. :p

Anyway [mod hat on]We have all gotten pretty off-topic here. Let's get the discussion back to the f/x advances we'll see in E7[/mod hat off]

5. Alderaan Luke

Alderaan Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    Don't laugh to my remarks and don't say my citings are "silly", i think you definetely should learn good manners.

That said: do not take that 2016 too seriously: it could be 2016, 2017, 2018, or 2025. But whats sure is that video games will look, in a not too distant future, similar to that scene. It looks really video gamish to me. Yes, a video game with REALLY awesome graphics, but still video gamish.

I said it in this board many times: i prefer a puppet 1000 times more than CGI. Why? Well, because your brain can detect BOTH the puppet AND the CGI as being FALSE. Tricking the brain is really hard, near impossible. Then...you could ask, why i prefer the puppet? Well, for me the answer is that, both being false, i prefer the one that is more related to a physical object, to the physical world, that will be always give a more realistic and nice look to our brain: the puppet.

6. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Uh, okay. I guarantee that if you ever actually touch a Yoda puppet, your brain will not be 'tricked' in any particular fashion. It's a lifeless piece of rubber. Thinking it's somehow more real is ridiculous when the only reason the Yoda scenes even worked in Empire was because of the seriousness Mark Hamill those scenes with.

I'm ignoring your "oh video games will eventually look like that" because it's absurd. Holy cow, news flash, effects age with time. That doesn't invalidate the quality of the work, and there is no video game existing today that looks even close to that. You can keep tacking on years and I'll keep ignoring the argument because games aren't there yet. Which is my entire point.

You can keep thinking a rubber puppet somehow is "more real", though. I'll not delude myself in that manner.

Darth Chiznuk and Lee_ like this.
  7. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Man, CGI sucks. Good thing it's not here to stay or anything.

Count Yubnub, FRAGWAGON and Lee_ like this.
  8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    But what about it looks video gamish? You have to be more specific. Better your argument.

9. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    Okay then, it looks more like a video game than it looks "real"....just because it has a lot going on, lots of detail, lots of ships, and it does look really cool, does not make it looks "real". When they can get CGI to look like models when it comes to depth and motion, then I will be satisfied. CGI is a great thing, and movies have come a long way because with it, but some scenes, SOME scenes are not there yet. It is a matter of money and time and hopefully they find a process that improves on the PT.

10. DarthSpaced

DarthSpaced Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2012
    Okay then, it looks more like a video game than it looks "real"....just because it has a lot going on, lots of detail, lots of ships, and it does look really cool, does not make it looks "real". When they can get CGI to look like models when it comes to depth and motion, then I will be satisfied. CGI is a great thing, and movies have come a long way because with it, but some scenes, SOME scenes are not there yet. It is a matter of money and time and hopefully they find a process that improves on the PT.[/quote]

Dear Doug625, allow me to retort with a post I already, um, posted: John Favreau, on the set of 1 of the Ironman movies, told Ben Snow VFX guy for ILM, to switch out the CGI suit for the real suit when they were editing. Ben checked his notes said, uh John, THAT IS THE REAL SUIT. Open your mind young one,

11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Agreed there are not video games that are even close to that quality.

That is a rad scene, and I look forward to some space battles that go beyond in Episode 7. The PT had some raging space scenes, and I totally disagree that they "weren't.realistic" as some claim. I think they were a strongpoint of the movies, especially the last 2. You are using your imagination when coming up with what something looks like that doesn't exist, so it will always be subjective in that way. I think they did a great job of creating it in AOTC and ROTS (I am talking only about space battle scenes).

When you are always pushing to be a pioneer, you will always have imperfections (which is true of the OT also), this can be balanced, nonetheless with areas that are sheer brilliance (which I think the PT has also)..

12. Alderaan Luke

Alderaan Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    Sorry, i thought it was pretty obvious. I mean it puzzles me that you can't notice it. I guess the problem it's related to something technical like the lighting, the shadows, the textures...It may be a combination of them. For me CGI is just another tool directors can use, but it should be used only when you can't use models. I hate it even more for characters. Because...a ship not feeling real or at least physical is one thing. A character not feeling real or at least physical is even worse.

MrFantastic74 likes this.
  13. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    As I had mentioned earlier, the CGI/special effects are also amazing in some brief spots in ROTS that you have to watch for to appreciate; I think they did a great job making them look and sound like they wanted to for the feel of the story.

14. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    CGI Dennis Quaid as Han Solo

15. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    I think we should have really cheap nasty effects think Star Trek V mixed in with loads of stock footage.

Just kidding but I was a Star Trek fan and that is what we got for years until the shinny new Trek movie with mind blowing sets like the badly dressed power plant and Budweiser factory for the Enterprise engine room.

[​IMG]

16. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    Here’s what I want to see.

Updated Ships but with a bit of an OT inspired look. Much like the Republic’s Venator class star destroyer
    Mostly CGI aliens, but a few masks or puppets for those from the older generation
    A Mixture of CGI and real life props and sets, much like the PT
    Epic Space battles like at the beginning of ROTS
    Epic Lightsaber duels like the Duel on Mustafar
    Ground Breaking Effects in both Story and Visuals, just like the last six movies.

Darth Chiznuk , Lee_ and LawJedi like this.
  17. THX_1138biggs

THX_1138biggs Jedi Master star 1

Jul 9, 2007
    I wasn't looking at it through our point of view. I was looking at it through their point of view; Lucasfilm's and Disney's. It coming out of their pockets (mostly Disney now). One thing Disney could consider is how low cost the last three movies were and how much they gained back (domestically, TPM the most, AOTC almost double, and ROTS made it more than double its budget).

In the end a low budget for Episode VII (and the others) would benefit everyone; everyone that is making these movies. :)

Because we all know these new Star Wars movies will be pretty........................... big. ;)

18. Doug625

Nov 9, 2012

19. Doug625

Nov 9, 2012
    they will be huge....Star Wars is too big to fail, at least financially speaking. I just want it to look better than the PT and when possible to not go overboard with CGI. It's Disney and Lucasfilm so it should look amazing. If these guys can't get it done nobody can

Han Shot First likes this.
  20. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    LOL, yeah, Trek had some funny shots before CGI came along.

I am hoping there will be some improvements as time moves along in SW too. I think in ROTS, the scene where Padme births the twins could have been much better. The robot doctors look like something out the Buck Rogers TV show in the early 80's, that really left something to be desired; the medical technology in Prometheus is more like what I would expect now.

21. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    I think people paid to see each PT movie, hoping in vain they would get better and a bit of blind faith. Once bitten and all that.

22. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    It looks like a video game. That is the argument, the problem being you do not appear fond of that opinion. Personally they both look very much like animations, lose realism and any threat or pearl to the main protagonists, as it is to obvious the have been superimposed into a piece of animation. I mean it all reminds me of a modern Rodger Rabbit or Space Jam.

23. THX_1138biggs

THX_1138biggs Jedi Master star 1

Jul 9, 2007
    Nothing to worry about.... the same company that was built just to create the special effects for the original Star Wars will be handling the effects for the new Star Wars movies. :p

That's not a bad rep, considering they revolutionized sfx in that "small low budget movie" back then. So I think the visual effects in these new movies will be nothing short of outstanding. :)

Space battles and Jedi in action...... on the big screen again.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That may have been what you did but not I. I paid to see Episode I because I've loved SW ever since my parents took me to see the SE in theaters and I kept coming back because I loved the new Episodes just as much as the old.

25. startravellerearth

startravellerearth Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2012
    3D yoda and lightsabers!