main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Zorrixor, Zeta1127 and CeiranHarmony like this.
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    *achem*

"So, what, does that mean there's Latin in Star Wars? Suspension of disbelief, much?"

3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Unless, of course, they are using the windows.
    [​IMG]

4. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Jello pulled some strings with JSarek when he wrote that article, clearly :p

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    They also build and use ray guns! Mankind is doomed. [face_plain]

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, you can't pin it entirely on me. :p jSarek did say he had me in mind when he wrote that part of the article, but there's actually a long-standing basis for why it makes perfect sense to match up High Galactic and Latin and though I've persisted on that point over the years, I'm not the only one to have seen it.

We see Latin in Star Wars all the time -- Imperator-class, anyone? Let's not even get started on the Procurator and Quaestor class ships either. And it's not just the Saxtonites, Stackpole referred to an ISD Imperator in Wedge's Gamble, and a little thing called ROTS introduced the Venator class. These are all Latin words.

Moreover, there's a lot of pseudo-Latin out there -- Pliada di am Imperium is one of them, but they're everywhere (Dan Wallace used some in the Atlas rather recently, intending it to be High Galactic). Given the similarities between High Galactic and Latin (a prestige language of the Imperial Court and used for formal Republican terms in its secular variation, and used to describe Jedi techniques in its ecclesiastic variation), I decided that High Galactic not only ought to be an analogue of Latin (which I think was always intended, even as far back as Marvel), but it could cover the usage of Latin itself within the GFFA. That's not to say that they're one and the same -- there's a lot of pseudo-Latin that's also High Galactic, and some things (e.g., cho mai) aren't even Latinate in general. It shouldn't be treated as a 1:1 conversion (compare HG fi with Latin filius. for instance) but an analog.

As an added bonus, we get nice little things like Adumari archaic basic perator resembles both Latin/HG imperator (emperor) and HG pera (father).

jSarek not only agreed with me and made the similarities canon(for which I am eternally grateful), but he went the added step and explained that the usage of the Latin alphabet in SW is essentially transliterating Basic words into the HG alphabet for prestige purposes. It was a nice touch and one I hadn't thought of.

P.S. if you haven't read his "The Written Word" article yet, you're seriously missing out -- HG is just one small part of a very excellent article.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  7. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Best part of that image? The sound effect.
    BZZANKGK!

MercenaryAce and CooperTFN like this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I dunno, I rather like the Visas Marr cosplay that the dino is doing. Surely it'll fool everyone into thinking he's a Miraluka.

RC-1991, Gorefiend and MercenaryAce like this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I saw his post earlier and didn't bother. Wasn't worth my precious internet time. :p

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Are you running low on internets? That's sad. Everyone, let's help him find some more.

11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    My raptor ninja are on the way to deliver free Internets.

12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I get my internets from Al Gore. I keep them in a lock box. :p

--Adm. Nick

13. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I hear that Windows 95 comes with a free trial of the internets!

14. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    The World Wide Web!

15. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Dude, I just went down to the gas station and picked up the latest version of AOL. I'm gonna be surfing the Internets waaaaay faster than all of you poor suckers.

16. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    BZZANKGK!

17. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    [​IMG]

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  18. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

"Everybody wins."

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hold on! The last time something went through the space-time continuum we ended up with the Glove of Darth Vader........[face_worried]

*imagines TCW rewritten with GODV art*

20. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    *blinks*

Are you suggesting the entire Clone Wars continuity omnishambles (shame on you Google spellcheck for not knowing the 2012 Word of the Year [face_shame_on_you]) is nothing but a time-space ripple effect resulting from the translocation of the Glove of Darth Vader? :eek:

This could even explain all continuity issues past, present and future...

Maybe it was their plan all along. The joke will be on us when ST turns out to be about saving the continuity timeline from the Glove of Darth Vader! :-B

21. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    GoDV-style TCW art, eh? We can arrange that...

This thread is wildly off-topic at this point, so here's a preview of the next episode to help get it back on track. :p

This will be the 100th episode.

Cronal likes this.
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    XJapanRoX, the mastermind behind the outstandingly awesometastic Siren of Dathomir, announced his next motion-webcomic installment earlier today in LACWAC. I'm reposting his message here since it has a lot of EU appeal:

23. XJapanRoX

XJapanRoX Official Star Wars Artist star 2 VIP

Dec 5, 2004
    Thanks so much for the plug, Barriss! While I'll be the first to admit I'm no writer, I DO love telling visual stories and have a big appreciation for Star Wars continuity. I hope you guys enjoy what I got cookin'!

24. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    XJapanRoX , oh, so you're Joe Hogan! You did all the cool art for C6 -- the TFN banner, the badge art and all that stuff! Those were fantastic. I'll definitely have to check out your other work, like that webcomic.

XJapanRoX likes this.