main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Apple/Mac discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Jun 21, 2006.

1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
  2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The iPod classic (for me because of the design, in particular the click wheel) is still a nifty device in my view, and I will always defend that. As for the rest of Apple, I'm not interested*.

*In the event that BlackBerry (which could happen if the launch of BlackBerry 10 fails miserably) goes out of business in the near future, I will have to unfortunately consider an iPhone as an option for my replacement phone.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes KW as soon as Roper posted I looked it up and saw it was fake.

Why, Tunick? That's like saying if a particular girl won't date you, you'll get castrated.

Or, "If the store is out of Vanilla Coke, I'll have piping hot lava instead".

You could get any number of great phones that aren't iPhones, you know that right?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and RIM are like... doomed.

4. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Out off all the other phones I've seen/handled a bit over the years, most of those have been iPhone's since my brother had once for a while/many of my friends still do. I'm more familiar with that than most Android devices, though obviously I'm more than willing to try out an Android. I would consider an iPhone only because of that familiarity, even with my issues with Apple.

5. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm pretty much Apple all the way with my stuff, mostly because it works for me. My iPhones have always been fine. I had some trouble with my iMac when I got it a couple months ago, but I solved that problem myself. The magic trackpad they introduced was life-changing for me, allowing me to use a desktop regularly. I'm unaware of any desktop PC that has something like that. I don't use many apps on my iPhone and I mostly just use Safari, iTunes, and Lightroom regularly on my computers.

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The iPhone is the only Apple product that I use. I don't mind the whole integrated ecosystem thing on a phone because... it's a phone, so I'd like everything to be designed together and all that stuff. For things that matter -- like computers -- I'll stay in control with a PC.

7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Would Apple ever make a phone with a keyboard, or would that simply go against the whole point of an iPhone (from their point of view)?

8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Probably the latter.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Er, there probably aren't going to be many phones with physical keyboards in the future.

Ramza and Bacon164 like this.
  10. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Probably because you didn't need to look, Logitech make a similar peripheral that works on Windows.

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I would certainly hope that there would be a decent-good-maybe great smartphone out there with a keyboard in the future, because that's the primary reason why I'm still a BlackBerry user (as their keyboards are constantly rated best in the business). I've used their Torch line since 2011, and I often try to type without the keyboard to see if I can get accustomed to it (in the eventual of a BlackBerry extinction). For the small things (such typing in information my mobile bank account), I can survive just fine, but I still get frustrated if I text/send an e-mail/post here/Facebook a lot of time without using the keyboard (because my rate of spelling errors increases dramatically on with the touchscreen). It doesn't sit that well with me that the direction of so many mobile devices have gone/are going the touchscreen route, which is why I've avoided &(and don't see a personal need) for a tablet (I get along just fine with my phone when I'm out, and what the hell am I going to do with a tablet at home when I've already got a quite serviceable laptop?).

12. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    That's good to hear. Not that I'd ever use Windows again, but if I ever have to, it's good to know that such a thing exists on the PC side as well.

13. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I would think it would soon be much more common with the advent of Windows 8.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Hey Tunes, Android does predictive text for typing.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, that's probably more a music industry piracy protection thing. It's doubtful the whole iTunes music store revolution thing would have been achievable without some kind of copy protected format (well, that and Steve Jobs having connections between industries).

16. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    That is entirely the music industry. As for Apple using mp4 AAC technology, it's because the codec inherently sounds better than mp3.

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It doesn't explain why Apple has its own lossless format and iTunes can't even play FLAC's without the files being converted.

Ender_Sai likes this.
  18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I agree on the lossless thing.

In other news, I experienced the Do Not Disturb bug this morning on my iPhone. Irritating...

Eeth-my-Koth likes this.
  19. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    My phone is still on Do Not Disturb. I'm not complaining :)

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Hahaha!

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Because...

... Um...

... Yeah, I got nothing. Not that ALAC <-> FLAC converters are particularly difficult to get your hands on.

22. TahiriVeilaSolo69

Sep 27, 2002
  23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Because Apple have thought about this, and decided for you that you don't need anything but what comes standard with iTunes. It just works, Guy. It. Just. Works.

24. TahiriVeilaSolo69

Sep 27, 2002
  25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Apple is certainly not perfect and I really wish they would add FLAC support to itunes and ipods.