main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Does anyone else get a "new BSG" vibe off of the Star Wars universe?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Kev Snowmane, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    By which I mean the idea that "all this has happened before and will happen again".

The SW universe as it has developed beyond the films seems to be a repeating cycle of the rise and fall of the Jedi/Republic and the Sith/Empire, each waxing or waning in turn with a few periods of equilibrium in between.

The writers/designers of various projects even provide (intentionally or otherwise) visual cues to suggest this, such as various characters and ships in the Old Republic MMPORPG being obvious precursors to their millenia-separated Prequel Trilogy and Original Trilogy descendents.

2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I don't know if many would find this hard to believe, but history has a funny way of repeating itself to a certain extent.

3. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I think the repetition is more because of lack of imagination, rather than by design.

But yes, I do get that vibe.

4. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    ^I think that's a partial explanation as well...it's an "easy" way to say SW to have a direct "analogue" to X-wings and TIE fighters and Star Destroyers. It's also probably a little cheaper (for animation tie ins, etc) because the basic geometry is so well known and easy to do or adapt from other sources.

5. RamonM

RamonM Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2013
    The TOR ships are similar simply because of marketing.

6. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    ^Whatever the "real life" reason, the impact on the fictional shared universe has set up the idea.

7. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Agreed. I wish we could get more variation than just the continuous rise and fall of the Jedi and the Sith.

8. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Jedi and Republic come to existence, Dark Side users rebel against them, are banished from known space by the Jedi, found the Old Sith Empire, attack the Republic and threat it's existence, Sith loose and are nearly exterminated, some manage to escape, found True Sith Empire and Lost Tribe, Ulic Qel-Droma and Exar Kun become Sith, build their Sith Empire together with the Krath and Empress Teta system, want to destroy the Galactic Republic, which gains victory over the Sith in the end, but only for a short time, Mandalorian Wars come, Republic and Jedi left weakened, Sith with Empire come to existence again, Jedi Civil War, Republic victory and Sith loss, Dark Wars led by Sith Triumvirate shortly after, Republic and Jedi nearly wiped out, but Sith loose again, Republic and Jedi recover, 300 years of peace, True Sith Empire returns, fights war with Republic and disappears in the end, later New Sith Wars again, Republic reduced to Core, mostly inner Colonies and some worlds outside, it nearly crumbles, Jedi busy fighting all the Sith, all Sith except for one die, Jedi rebuild the Republic, 1000 years of peace while the Sith, only two now, a master and an apprentice hide themselves, Sith are returning to public, Seperatist Crisis and Clone Wars are following, outcome is that the Galactic Republic will be reorganized into the Galactic Empire, they Jedi Order is destroyed only few Jedi survive and the Sith rule the galaxy, Rebel Alliance formed to oppose the Empire and restore the Republic, Luke Skywalker becomes the last Jedi, the Sith Order is destroyed over Endor and the Prophecy of the Choosen One fulfilled, Empire crumbles, New Republic and New Jedi Order are being found, NR reorganized into Galactic Alliance, Sith are returning in canon Expanded Universe, destroy GA through creating a New Galactic Empire that Luke's heir will destroy, Galactic Federation Triumvirate, hmm... and maybe in the ST the Sith will return again to fight the Jedi and New Republic.

Birth, life, death, rebirth, life...

Yes, all this has happened before and will happen again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.