main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The New Jedi Order Series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Paddy O'Furniture, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    It was a gamble by the writers that for the most part paid off. Like any series, it has its ups and downs, but overall I'd say it was a success. It tried something new with Star Wars and really looked like it was paving the way for a new future of endless possibilities.

Then all the memorable new characters were either killed off, mind raped, or turned into Pedophiles. No Denning, I will not forgive you for that.

I'd personally say that NJO started out really strong, before it started to putter around the middle. But then you had a number of knockout books interspersed in that time (Star By Star, Traitor, Destiny's Way). And the ending is fantastic.

If I had to pick my favorite books however, I really enjoyed the Dark Tide duology, and of course, Destiny's Way. ACKBAR IS BACK!

Zeta1127 likes this.
  2. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Pedophiles? I'm drawing a complete blank on this. I would think that would have stood out to me a good deal more if it was there.

3. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I believe we're referring to the inappropriate touching of the minor Ben Skywalker by Tahiri when she's doing not-so-nice stuff for Jacen Solo, IIRC.

4. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    While there were a few books that I really enjoyed, like TUF, for the most part, I really didn't like this series at all. It was far too long and too dark and graphic, in my opinion. The story could have been told in about 5 books instead of 19. I found the series to be a real downer. I know a lot of people who stopped reading the EU during the NJO. But I also know that a lot of people really like the series. To each his own, I guess.

5. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    You haven't read Invincible have you? Tahiri ties Ben down to a table, dresses up in a catsuit and proceeds to molest him. And then does so while simultaneously torturing Lon Shevu to death in front of his eyes.

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Tahiri tries to seduce Ben Skywalker in LOTF
    Though still less WTF than Daala coming back and pretending to be competent and sane and people believing it ....

Darth_Zandalor, krtmd and Fleab88 like this.
  7. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    I confess I did not read it. I was in a crazy period of school when the series came out, and thought the better of subjecting myself to it. I did not realize you were referring to that series in that statement. Beyond screwed up. Apologies for my confusion on it :p

8. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I really enjoyed them. They're very dark and they're the last books by one of the EU's best writers, Michael Stackpole.

I'd say that Balance Point can be skipped as can the Force Heretic trilogy and Dark Journey. The rest are pretty fundamental. I suppose Balance Point was fairly fundamental but I read it long after I finished the series. Same goes for Agents of Chaos II. That one isn't the best I suppose.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The NJO is my favorite series ever. This is some of the best Star Wars has to offer imo. It might not have the feel of the OT except ESB and probably goes 10 times darker than that but works for me. The characters were all engaging. Their plot lines were good. The Han Solo trilogy by AC Crispin and The Thrawn Trilogy have the closest feel to the OT. The NJO was said to be a jump into a new era of Star Wars and it delivered. Sure I hated that Chewie died but that gave me the lesson that we aren't invincible and that anyone can die. I got over the VP depression by wanting to know how the Good guys won.

Gorefiend and Tim Battershell like this.
  10. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    yes, the NJO series is the best novels ever!!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The only book I can't really get through is Dark Journey. Its still good but the rest are better. My first book that I got when it came out back then was Force Heretic 1 Remnant. I loved the blurb on the back.

I wish the post NJO timeline kept up with the plot lines in TUF. There were so many good ideas. They could have started a couple months later and have a rogue YV warlord, pirates, Hutts, UR threat (different from the Killiks) or have another Force sect make an appearance. Or follow Jacen on his journey. No 5 year jumps. I love DNT/LOTF/FOTJ but wish they kept the NJO. The dark tone is good at times but a nice lighter tone would be great as well. Mix it up a bit.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Dark Journey is great if you think of it as a prelude to the Enemy Lines duology, since it has a large focus on Jaina, just as those do. When I recently read the whole series in order, these three books flowed so well together, since they were all great for Jaina's arc, something that got intermittent focus earlier in the series. Cunningham also managed to turn Kyp's character around into an actual role model for Jaina.

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I admit that is a good way of looking at it but from SBS to DJ is a bit jarring. Big picture story going to a smaller focus was a bit jarring

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'll agree with you there. Destiny's way works as the best direct continuation of Star By Star, but the four books in between are really essential for Jaina and Jacen, even though they are very self-contained.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I think if SBS was followed by the Enemy Lines duology that would work... I think

16. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Yeah Dark Journey is missable, and really i did not love Hero's Trial

17. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    agree with DJ, but Hero's Trial . . .
    Luceno + Han = win in my book

krtmd, Zeta1127 and Force Smuggler like this.
  18. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Its a mixed bag in jmo, The first book is good, sadly the the 2nd feels rushed and a mess. but I don't think thats Stackpole's fault. It was originaly ment to be a trilogy which got cut into 2 and it shows.

As for the NJO as a whole, well Terry Brooks admitted he only did the TPM book to not only cash a paycheck but make people more aware of his work by writing a Stawars book. The NJO series felt like this was DR's own version of that. Using different authors for each book so the flow and feel between charachters often changed from book to book, while the whole YV and there motivation seemed well a bit silly.

19. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Why did Stackpole stop writing? Was there a falling out? I would love for him to come back and write either an X Wing or a Horn/Antilles story. Maybe something like I,Knight starring Valin rescuing Jysella with help from Syal... that blossoms into a relationship whilst looking for his sister.

20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    http://www.michaelastackpole.com/?p=2796

21. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I've heard rumors of some falling out regarding the NJO and Stackpole, but I'm not sure. He did write a story for the Clone Wars multimedia project back in 02/03 (Elusion Illusion, or something to that effect).

22. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Bring him back...

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed. Stackpole was an amazing Star Wars writer!

24. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I was In Barnes & Noble one week ago today and almost picked up Dark Tide I, for some reason I got Christie Golden's Omen in stead but I got 90 bucks for Christmas so I'll try to get some more NJO books.

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Haha lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.