main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Out of Bounds (The ELL OOC Thread)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Trieste, Sep 2, 2012.

1. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    So if Zeke and Mara were tied then why wasn't the award shared between the two?

2. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    Because, like the Highlander, there can be only ONE!!

Trieste likes this.
  3. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
  4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yep.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  5. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    Because I say so. Which, as GM, is all the answer I have to give you. :p

But seriously, to my knowledge, a major sports league has never split an award like MVP between two people (this is where some of you who shall remain nameless go scurrying off to prove me wrong). Because in real life there are many people voting on these awards, the chance of a tie is very low. So since our votes are representative of everybody in the galaxy who voted, a tie vote here can be extrapolated into a very similar number of votes for each candidate. It is conceivable that one candidate would have gotten barely more votes than the other and thus won in a very close vote.

However, the short answer is that I prefer having only one winner rather than splitting the award, so there has always been a random dice roll between tied candidates to determine who actually won it.

6. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  7. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Not the person that remained nameless that I expected, but I am still chastised all the same. ;)

8. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Now you may have another unnamed person to chastise you on these kinds of matters. :p

EDIT: My season-long brain drain is completed, and I'm ready to rev up the craziness once again.

You guys want to see probably the weirdest, yet coolest, story ever to be posted in this game? Because I've come up with one, and I want to know if I should use it.

9. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    The rules post, which went up in a few intervals, is now up and ready for review. Some of this stuff I just made up yesterday so if you see something that looks wonky, I really do want to hear about it.

One item in particular are timeouts. At the moment, they essentially do not stop the clock, but rather give a protracted period to strategize and regroup (like in the NHL). However, do people have any interest in an NBA-style timeout where you can also stop the clock, but only if you have possession?

Also, to my knowledge there is only one canon rule about the actual gameplay of limmie (which I recently learned is actually lowercase): offsides. My soccer friends tell me why offsides is necessary in soccer, even though I think it's stupid (despite playing hockey which has a very healthy offsides rule). Unfortunately, somebody wrote it into a Star Wars novel so unless we want to claim that we revolutionized the rule (hey, the forward pass was once illegal in football and still is in rugby), we're stuck with offsides whether we like it or not. But this is our game and we've got a good 230 years on most of the EU so we can say screw offsides if we want. ;)

10. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I hate offsides, frankly, so it can go away. Now, we can replace that with something making running into the goalie as a penalty (for purposeful hits, depending on a review afterwards?), which would deter forwards from taking out a goalie Jim Craig-style.

11. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    My opinions:
    • Screw offsides. I'm pretty sure that at some point I've described on-field action that would qualify as offsides. In the eight seasons I've played this game, I don't recall a single instance of offsides being called in any IC post. We've already changed other canon rules (e.g. the rule that a goal is worth one point), so why not change another?
    • The game mechanics section should explain shutout and overtime rolls.
    • On the last item under Game Rules, I suspect the bit about opening the roof is aimed at me. :p My intent for rules regarding opening/closing the Euceron Stadium roof was that if the roof begins the game closed or is closed during the first half, it can be (re)opened at halftime (but at no other time) with the referee's permission if the weather has improved and it is not likely, based on available weather forecasts, that the roof will have to be closed again before the end of regulation plus one overtime period. Would that sound OK to everyone?

12. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    If there's consensus to ditch offsides, I am totally on board. Goalkeeper interference could be a good addition, as Gunny points out.

And it does say a goal is worth one point? They must have thought that up after I started the first incarnation of the game.

Good call on shut outs and overtime rolls. Thanks!

The roof bit is partially aimed at you. In the NFL, I believe that the status of a roof at the start of the game is how it has to stay. For example, Thanksgiving Day this year it started raining in Dallas during the game while the roof was open. The roof had to stay open despite the presence of rain. As for improving conditions, that one I've not heard of, but there could still be competitive advantage. Take the angle and position of a sun. A closed roof might mean the a goalkeeper isn't looking into the sun, but when the teams (supposedly, since I didn't state it) switch sides of the field after half time, now the other goalkeeper is looking into a sun the first never had to deal with (obviously planetary rotation plays into this as well, but we can assume that the difference over a max of 1 1/2 hours of a standard game would be the minimal). So something to think about there.

13. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    I concur with Gunny's idea of dropping offsides and including Keeper interference, but wouldn't such a change have to be voted on by the Board of Governors?

14. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    That's part of the reason I said that opening the roof at halftime would require the permission of the referee. Also, remember that the sun issue doesn't go away by banning the opening of the roof, since it may still be the case that one goalkeeper is looking into the sun in the first half, then the roof is closed for a thunderstorm and the other keeper doesn't have that problem in the second half. Or it could be the case that my roof is made entirely of transparisteel to let the sunlight in even with it closed. :p (IIRC, I've never specified what the roof is made of.)

EDIT: I could also say that, like in MLB, the visiting team could challenge the decision to open the roof to the referee, who would then make a judgment call based on any potential competitive advantage such as the sun.

15. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    And presumably be replaced by? That could open up some fun in a season or two... [face_devil]

Oh and I agree with everyone else on the offsides bit.

[​IMG]

16. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
  17. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    "4th Fleet Memorial Field"? I like it. One question, though: you list the roster, but which players are the starters?

18. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    That will be posted once the draft has been completed... I don't want to scare any potential prospects away, plus I have some contracts to renegotiate.

Once I have done that IC I will be updating my roster once again :D

19. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    HINT: They're all humans, and are all based upon characters from "Battlestar Galactica". :p

Trieste likes this.
  20. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    Not entirely true any more ;)

21. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm good with any rules you veterans decide on.

22. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I propose a new rule, first year teams must forfeit all matches to the team that had the worst record in the previous season. :p

[​IMG]

JediMaster_1977 likes this.
  23. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Some of them are based upon characters from "Caprica", you know. [face_laugh]

Wait, what's this? Former Miner Windy Aptos is Rose Byrne? ARRRGH! I should have never let her go. Luckily for me she's an ugly crier.

Pretty sure that clip was from right after the Monarchs-Miners Semifinal.

jcgoble3 Good to know about the MLB rule! I am willing to reconsider the roof opening rule on the basis of that. Does anyone else play in a retractable roofed stadium?

24. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    A one loss season is acceptable, but I don't think this rule should extend to the playoff games.

25. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Don't get Bardan hopeful. [face_laugh] Besides, I haven't made next season's schedule. I'm not sure you two will play each other.

On that note, I will do my best to make it so that the two non-conference opponents that you played last season will be in your non-conference schedules this year. Home and away might be a bit wonky from the last time that you saw that team though I'll do my best to make it so. I'll probably make it more important that teams who only had three home games last season get four this season and vice versa.

Bardan_Jusik likes this.